Coolant loss - 2009 A3 2.0 TDI

Scott

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just checked coolant and about 1cm below min, that's not enough to show a warning but it's lower than it should be! The handbook says any loss is usually a leak, but may be caused by coolant boiling off if it gets too hot. I can't remember the last time I checked it as it's always been ok until now, but obviously the car is only just over a year old. I've topped up with water and will continue to monitor. I spoke to Audi Assist who said they'd send someone out to have a look - but I said don't worry as it's getting dark, I'll call Audi tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced coolant loss on a common rail TDI?

Cheers,
Scott

Well some of the 2004/5 2.0 TDI engines had issues with porous heads, surely this cant be that!!!!! Unless you have a loose pipe from the radiator etc.

Well some of the 2004/5 2.0 TDI engines had issues with porous heads, surely this cant be that!!!!! Unless you have a loose pipe from the radiator etc.

I thought that but doubt it. I forgot to mention the oil is ok.

It would of course depend on when you checked it last but thats a fair bit down tbh & havnt heard of a CR with head issues, but check it weekly now to see if its losing any & check for wet patches under the engine bay area on the ground.

I would actually put a lump of cardboard underneath during night time & parked up at work & see if it drips down at all, call it pedantic but hey its a sure fire way of seeing if it leaking, now it could only be doing when pressurised, so the cardboard trick would be useless except for when parked up after a drive, hey just ideas I'd try.

Mine (2006my) had a leaky radiator which is common on A3s and Mk5 Golfs (they corrode in the bottom corners), i guess later A3s would still use the same radiators?

Had it happen to my 2.0T petrol car... the dealer topped it up at least 6 months ago and it seems to be fine ever since. Try topping it up and see if the level drops again, maybe it's just one of those weird things our cars do...