Damn wiring and buzzing noises

just017

Reaction score
Ok, so trying to fit what seems to be a rather unorganised harness for the RNS-e install, but i think some wires are not going to where they should be, ive checked with some diagrams, and i think they now match up. But the problem stil persists.

Can anyone see anything clearly wrong in the pictures below?:

What issues are you getting, alternator whine or something else?
What year car is it and what HU was in there before?

Its like feedback from everything electrical coming through the speakers, and also just like a feint buzzing noise when everything is turned off.

Its a 2005 reg A3 that had a Symphony II in before with Bose. No BT or phone functions in

giving up with this, does anyone want to rectify a harness for some cash?

before this RNS-e goes out my window

Presumably the RNS-e is a quadlock model and you clearly have ISO wiring. What adapter are you using (the red plug)?

Yeah the RNS-e is a quadlock and the adapter has the red plug on it yeah, along with 3 other black plugs. Am i right that only 2 of the plugs (the red one and the black power one) go into the car, the other 2 are not needed for me as i dont have phone etc.

What guide have you followed to rewire the adapter as there's quite a bit needed?
This guide is excellent although alot of the first bit is not required as your car is already CANBUS enabled.
http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/RNS.pdf

Looks like you also need VAGCOM to code the car for Navigation and also the Fakra antenna adapter

Dude make the pics smaller, they're massive.

Where abouts are you located?

Personally I would go through the pins & remove any pins/connectors that arent relevant to your car 1st mate, then work on the conversion as it will just confuse you even more, I remove them properly so if I needed them later on I can reinsert.

Last edited:
I'm in Southend Essex. Yeah I was thinking of removing anything i'm not going to be using. I know how to remove the pins from the small connectors, but how do you properly remove them from the red block connector? I want to remove all wires and start from scratch as the harness I've been sent looks a bit of a mess.
Thanks for the replies

Ideally you need a set of tools for the vag plugs that I use or a very thin pointed piece of metal, maybe jewellers screwdriver

Hiya guys, so i managed to take my time with the RNS-e harness without getting too frustrated and giving up, and its now all working, no buzzing etc.

Now the only thing now is, with Vag Com, when i go to the CAN settings, am i supposed to see a tick box for Navigation?

And finally, this is what my RNS-e coding now looks like, is this correct?

I have MFSW, no telephone and i do have Bose

coding.png