Leaving headlights on

bambam

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a nasty feeling that Im going to end up with a flat battery from leaving my headlights on as I dont get any beep, chime or buzz to warn me.

I assume that there should be some kind of warning sound?
If so how do you suggest I start going about diagnosing where the fault lies?....

TIA

Hi there,
I have a nasty feeling that Im going to end up with a flat battery from leaving my headlights on as I dont get any beep, chime or buzz to warn me.

I assume that there should be some kind of warning sound?
If so how do you suggest I start going about diagnosing where the fault lies?....

TIA

Strange because with any Audi as soon as you turn off the ignition the headlights go out. The warning buzzer only tells you that you have left your parking lights on when you take your key out of the ignition. It should be impossible to leave an Audi parked with the ignition off and the headlights on.

he means that i think and you can leave your sidelights/parking lights on

Mine does the same, my headlights go off but my sidelights stay on!!

Help!

are your headlights & sidelights completely off also do you have the light sensor pack

Yep sorry thats what i mean, sidelights stay on but no warning chime that they have been left on.

LOL, i actually want to leave my sidelights switch on when i get out of the car but i want the light itself to turn off until i start the car... i used to do this in a MK5 Golf and Mercedes A class... but they both had auto lights pack which my A3 does not have.

you want to check out the comming home and leaving lights thread over on vagoc.co.uk a small piece of wire plus vagcom will achive what you want and you can even set the duration as for bambam hopefully someone will eb able to confirm that you can switch the chimes on and off you should be able to

i already have the coming home lights enabled. but i was thinking more for drl... as the vagcom drl setting switches on the headlights as well as side lights. i was looking for just sidelights without using the switch every time i get in the car.

yes i was thinking that too, but the only place that i know that does this is Hazzydayz who want £600 to fit it all in (parts included)
now im sure that around £200 of that would be on his labour charges if not more, but i have no idea how to fit it and what parts are needed. would love to have this in my car though

mine has the light and rain pack on it but how do you know if its got the coming home light? My A6 had it and I could easily turn the feature on and off, not sure on the A3

Sarah, you would know when turning the engine off and then opening the doors the headlights would turn on for around 30seconds, you can set the time via VCDS to a shorter time if you like.

the coming home pack puts a ready meal in the micro wave and a gets a beer out the fridge......dont tell me you aint got that either ??

By popular request the avitar now features the arkansas chug-a-bug until i can find a good picture of mutley..

Last edited:
the coming home pack puts a ready meal in the micro wave and a gets a beer out the fridge......dont tell me you aint got that either ??

By popular request the avitar now features the arkansas chug-a-bug until i can find a good picture of mutley..

So what you are saying is the coming home pack is actually a women!!! lol. I can microwave and always have a beer ready lol!!!

my 2004 a3 sidelights stay on with ignition off and get a buzz when i open the door, should it not be doing this then??

****** hell ! your the perfect kitchen accessory :) !

lol, been called worse! You know the saying about why women have small feet?? So they can get closer to the sink!!! lol Mistress in the bedroom and cook in the kitchen! (or was it demon in the bedroom and angel in the street!!) and a beer fridge!!! lol

Strange because with any Audi as soon as you turn off the ignition the headlights go out. The warning buzzer only tells you that you have left your parking lights on when you take your key out of the ignition. It should be impossible to leave an Audi parked with the ignition off and the headlights on.

If yours are auto lights & dial is at auto position then yes this would be correct & the parking light thought.

yes i was thinking that too, but the only place that i know that does this is Hazzydayz who want £600 to fit it all in (parts included)
now im sure that around £200 of that would be on his labour charges if not more, but i have no idea how to fit it and what parts are needed. would love to have this in my car though

Installing this amongst other options in a car atm, it isnt a cheap mod as needed new windscreen for a start to take the sensor.

So back to my original question, there should be a buzz when the lights are left on and key removed and door open.
Is it a case of turning this on in VAGcom or is there a fuse for this that I should check first? Does it work on the same door switch as the interior light?

I would expect that it uses the same switch in the door lock VCDS is your friend here, output test in the cluster to test the beep and measuring blocks in the door module to check that the microswitches in the door lock are working.

Oh and a general scan to see if there are any comms issues between the modules.

Do you get the warning for seat belt or low fuel ?

Paul

Yes get warning for fuel low...not sure about seatbelt, never drive with it off.

I will have a look with VCDS as you suggest and go from there.
Thanks very much for the info .

I'm pretty sure I remember reading the handbook for my MY2010 A3 and it stated something along the lines that the battery state of charge is monitored when the ignition is off, and if the ability to start the car was under threat due to current draw, circuits would be switched off so that battery wouldn't become flat.

Seat belt warning relies on wiring aswell as coding, so you may not get this anyway, but certainly if you have a DIS then the door should display as open on this, easy test without vagcom, then if does show open, do some more indepth testing.

i can confirm that seatbelt chime at 2004 requires wiring and coding, always worth a check as it doesn't always require it

Seat belt warning relies on wiring aswell as coding, so you may not get this anyway, but certainly if you have a DIS then the door should display as open on this, easy test without vagcom, then if does show open, do some more indepth testing.

Yep, my DIS shows if the door is open.

i can confirm that seatbelt chime at 2004 requires wiring and coding, always worth a check as it doesn't always require it

I'd have to disagree there mate, as the seat belt warning works of contacts built into the seat belt clips which are specifically intentionally wired as I bought 2 new ones for my car, once this contact is made/broken cant recall which, it signals to the airbag controller which then signals the cluster, this also works inconjunction with a seat occupancy sensor which also is wired in for this point or it would go of all the time with no passenger huh, poxy thing goes of when stick some weight on passengers seat in the SB, lol.

I did alot of research into this for my car, for when I upgrade it for dual stage & seat belt warning.

i dont have an occupancy sensor mate, i should have elabourated i meant wiring to add it ive tried enabling the chimes as i went though a spout of forgetting it all the time

Drivers seat doesnt, but passengers does, otherwise when you drive & no passenger it would go of all the time as it would never know if anyone was sitting in there unless you put the seat belt on in passenger side.

You wouldnt really know the sensor was there without checking your seat wiring mate & airbag controller, its an unknown hidden thing that I only noticed when I was doing my rear heated seats, as this also uses the same occupancy sensor system to turn on heated seats.

considering i stripped the car out when it went to the paintshop ill bounce back with i didnt see one, and i never got seatbest chimes to work, keep in mind i had a 3door '53' plate 8p a3 sport about the only option it did have checked was the aircon, and i suspect thats standard on the sport :p

lol, been called worse! You know the saying about why women have small feet?? So they can get closer to the sink!!! lol Mistress in the bedroom and cook in the kitchen! (or was it demon in the bedroom and angel in the street!!) and a beer fridge!!! lol

Yea and they get married in white so they match the washing machine...

considering i stripped the car out when it went to the paintshop ill bounce back with i didnt see one, and i never got seatbest chimes to work, keep in mind i had a 3door '53' plate 8p a3 sport about the only option it did have checked was the aircon, and i suspect thats standard on the sport :p

TBH mate unless you stripped the seats down, you wouldnt have seen it, as its basically under the seat base covering where your **** sits, also same place as the heating element.

aah right that would explain it, i just assumed that it might have been a pressure plate under the carpet or something, i need to retrim one of my leather seats from the s3 when i get an airbag for it, ill take a look when i strip it down as it no doubt has one and im curious to see what it looks like, which reminds me i should really charge the camera tomorrow as after a weeks hiatus the s3 needs to be paintshop ready only parts still on the buying list are one foglight a pair of facelift mirrors fogrills with chrome ring and a pair of xenon headlights, worst case scenario on the headlights being i have to buy them from audi with the 22% discount ive been offered

on my A3 if you leave the indicators on the chime signals once the keys are removed even though the lights don't flash.wondered what the hell was going on as my car has the auto lights function.