mixing oils

cubby

Reaction score
hi folks. i know this is tight but....
got around half a litre of longlife oil left.
at last major service had seervice intervals swapped to fixed service. can i use the half litre to top up.then go back to other spec oil for future top ups?
sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find it. ta

Cubby,

If you're wanting to mix the correct grade of long life oil with the correct grade of fixed interval oil there shouldn't be an issue, as both are fit to be used in the engine - you'll just get a "semi long life" hybrid oil.
Some on here recommend using long life oil & still having fixed interval servicing. That's what I do.

Then go and spend all that money you've saved!!

thanks bigbird. reckoned it'd be ok but wanted to check.
like the idea with the servicing might give it a go

It works the way round you have done it but you will kill long life oil if you add normal oil to it..life wise. half a Ltr of std oil in a gallon of long life will turn it back to std. You dont get a standrd/longlife hybrid...you just get standard full stop. If we are talking Castrol here its pretty crap anyway. Mobil 1 is streets better and half the price Audi charge.

For your info...
I just had the top of my 3.2 stripped down to change the VVT cam units that gave up at 45k miles. They were clogged with oil gunge and the top of the engine is coated in 1mm of carbonisation. The Audi tech said its due to crap oil....The only people to put oil in that car are Audi using long life oil. Even the tech said that Mobil 1 was better. Change it as often as you can afford. If you are going to keep the car then 6000 mile oil changes will pay dividends once the miles clock up. Cheaper than paying £2.5k for VVT sprockets etc.

long service intervals cause carbonisation period. i service my car at most every 15k usuallly at around 10 k, did 3 flushes and oil changes at 5 k when i got her and ive seen ggreat improvements in power and economy, in fact last week i achived 600 miles out of my 1.6 petrol a3's tank cant doubt those figures

Carbon build concerns me and is one of the reasons I run a catch can. Agree with what has been said above that you should change oil as often as you can and only use long life oil.