Emission Control Light

panamadi

Strider
Reaction score
Hi guys
Its an 07 S3
The emission control light has come on and stayed on today (its the yellow boxy looking icon). This has happened before and it has gone off again without any problem. When I took it took it to Audi they seemed not too bothered and said that no code was logged.
Has anyone had this same problem and does anyone know if it should leave a fault code?

Cheers guys

Find someone with VAGCOM / VCDS and see if it finds any codes.
Apparently (and I'm going off what an Audi tech said to me), their VAS whatever systems don't report the same faults as VCDS, or require a higher frequency to appear as faults.
My VCDS showed a logged fault (about idle control RPM, since rectified), but he showed me his system and it said no faults logged or similar wording on screen (I could see he was in the Engine module).

My guess would be a misfire on cylinder 3 :p just putting it out there.
Also remember that if they did happen to see a non-serious fault, they might have just cleared it and sent you on your way...

The same light came on mine last night also. Does anyone have a VAGCOM in leeds area?

IMG_0402.jpg

Is it safe to drive with this light on?

Is it safe to drive with this light on????

Some faults are practically harmless for day to day driving whereas others need to be checked immediately.
In the absence of any other dramatic message on the DIS, I'd say (in my non-mechanic's opinion) it's safe to get it to a workshop, but wouldn't want to do too much more without at least knowing what fault is there.

Any engine light IMHO should be checked immediately if not asap.

Thats why its always good to have vagcom handy & considering the cars we're talking about, is £244 really that much for peace of mind, cause say you drove down the road with the light on & it went bang, would you rather a £244 bill for vcds to check the issues, which would maybe help you to decide not to drive it anyway, thus saving damaging the car or rather large garage bill for repairs & considering you could easily blow £65 a day in a S3 on fuel, thats only 4 days worth of fuel for VCDS.

Let me know if you would be interested. :)