Another MFSW Thread

Fireblade69

Reaction score
Guys, I know a lot of you have spent an enormous amount of time with questions about MFSW retrofits and the information is great. I've done some research, I've bought some kit, I've downloaded some stuff but now I'm a bit stuck and need some help.

I'll try to give you all the information you need to help.

I have a 2004 A3 (8P) 3.2 Quattro S-Line with DSG, RNSE, Cruise Control, Sat Nav, Bluetooth and I want to add a MFSW. From what I can tell in ETKA, the wheel that was MF for this model is the cacky looking 4 spoker from yesteryear with the 6 buttons on it. I don't really want that one but will have it if it's the only option.

According to my research, there are several wheels that will fit. I have the below fitted in my car:

Wheel - 8P0 419 091 BE
Airbag - 8E0 880 201 CR
Slip ring - 1K0 972 653 (no suffix)
Control Module - f 8P0 959 655 D

So, for the questions....

1) Will a 3 spoke - 8P0 419 091 DB - MFSW fit? (This model appears in ETKA UPD 656 but isn't in 763 being superceded by 8PO 419 091 EE)
2) Will I need a new slip ring?
3) Will I need a new control module?
4) Will I need a Single or Dual stage airbag?

I have VCDS and ETKA so can do some more digging if you need it.

Your help would be most appreciated.

:icon_thumright:

I too am going in circles with this now, wanting a MFSW. I have slip ring 1KO 959 653 D and steering ECU 8PO 953 549 F, and have just fitted cruise control.

1. My air bag has two small connectors plugged into the back of it (the other end of the harness has the one large connector which plugs into the slip ring); does this mean I have a dual stage airbag?

2. Can I buy any old 3 spoke MFSW (A3, Q5, TT, or whatever) and just bolt my airbag into it and all will be well?

3. Is it just a case of some quick VCDS work and the MFSW will then work, or are there any odd wires that need hooking up?

Sorry to hijack and to ask all this, I have total info overload, some of which is conflicting!