Annoying Whine, think it's coming from the engine!

V16

Reaction score
Like the title says, i have some annoying whining sound coming from the engine. it's a 56 a3 2.0tdi it's been remapped and i have a custom exhaust, they've all been fine and havent had problems since they were done around january time.

it's hard to explain the whine so i made a video so u can hear the sound for urself. bad quality as i took it last night. don't ask why its side ways, i have no clue lol.

driving feels fine, but i know it could be a bit better..again just can't explain unless u drive it.

any tips would be nice :icon_thumright:

vid 1 - [video]http://www.youtube.com/user/vikram23#p/a/u/1/qXiNUIperPw[/video]

i thought i'd do a video to hear the noise while driving but it's not as noticeable
[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/vikram23#p/a/u/0/yC6WkccV6bM[/video]

oh and when i'm driving/coasting then put my foot down on the clutch the noise kinda winds down then stops. hmmm

Are you sure the whine isn't coming from your NHN unit?

Usually when I hear an annoying whine it's NHN related.

sounds like the turbo bearing to me ;( sure sign its on its way out... had to have mine replaced for the same symptoms. Lots of threads on here about the problem.

My turbo was sounding similar and overboosting, when it got replaced the whine disappeared.

oh man was hoping it wasn't the turbo but most probably is. pick up seems almost fine and while driving about 35mph+ the noise is pretty much faded away, but then decreasing in speed the whine comes back and pretty loud especially outside. when im driving with the music on then it's not heard at all.

Sounds like the turbo mate. I would get a recon unit or hybrid fitted before something blows.

yeah, it's been like this for a while but my worst fear is if it blows. whats the difference between a oem turbo and a hybrid turbo as i'm non the wiser? i was looking into MD375 Garrett Hybrid Turbocharger. what are the gains of it being a hybrid turbo? i know it's boost the bhp by some margin, but then will this effect all the other parts as they weren't build for a 220bhp+ car.

CR Turbos will sale you the same spec hybrid as the Turbo Dynamics one only a lot cheaper. Strange thing is you can buy a new hybrid turbo for the same money or less then a standard turbo. If you fit a hybrid you will need a remap but anything else just helps like exhaust etc. Depending one the sort of map and how you drive an uprated clutch will probably need fitting as some stage. The stock clutch might last 1 mile or 50,000 miles so just leave it and see how you go. I read in your sig you have an Evolutions remap, strange company. Just out of interest do you have a dyno graph showing you remapped power?

so how much would i be looking for like a rough price for the turbo and fitting? i think an upgraded clutch will be needed in the next few months. I was reluctant at first with the evo map, but at the time an rs4 was being mapped plus they had done a lot of cars. I can't fault the map and the car is much quicker compared to stock, especially top end. but do u think my turbo would of lasted a lot longer if it wasn't mapped? i guess getting a bigger turbo should solve the problem.

oh and no i don't have a dyno, need to get one but i guess i'll have to wait for the new turbo.