EM TuningVolks Autos
    V16
    1st Gear

Status

Annoying Whine, think it's coming from the engine!

Like the title says, i have some annoying whining sound coming from the engine. it's a 56 a3 2.0tdi it's been remapped and i have a custom exhaust, they've all been fine and havent had problems since they were done around january time.

it's hard to explain the whine so i made a video so u can hear the sound for urself. bad quality as i took it last night. don't ask why its side ways, i have no clue lol.

driving feels fine, but i know it could be a bit better..again just can't explain unless u drive it.

any tips would be nice

vid 1 - http://www.youtube.com/user/vikram23.../1/qXiNUIperPw

i thought i'd do a video to hear the noise while driving but it's not as noticeable
    http://www.youtube.com/user/vikram23.../0/yC6WkccV6bM

oh and when i'm driving/coasting then put my foot down on the clutch the noise kinda winds down then stops. hmmm
    Black A3 S-line 2.0TDi
    Mods: Hybrid Turbo - Custom Exhaust - Weitec Coilovers - Tints - Gloss Black Optics Grill - Led Number Plate Lights - Led Interior Lights - S3 Mirrors - Retro Fitted Arm Rest - 09 rear lights - R8 Oil Cap - Phillips Diamond Vision Lights

2. # ADS
    ADS

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Are you sure the whine isn't coming from your NHN unit?

Usually when I hear an annoying whine it's NHN related.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Heavy DERV clatter

Status
    sounds like the turbo bearing to me ;( sure sign its on its way out... had to have mine replaced for the same symptoms. Lots of threads on here about the problem.
    2006 A3 Sportback 2.0Tdi Sport... So far - Stage 2 custom map (dyno'd at 185bhp), Pipercross panel filter, centre armrest, Alpine IDA-X305 and Bluetooth, hard wired Garmin Nuvi 1690T

To Do's - eibach springs, Votex front lip / spoiler, Votex rear spoiler and skirts, led's all round!

Enthusiast

Status
    My turbo was sounding similar and overboosting, when it got replaced the whine disappeared.
    VCDS USER

V16
    1st Gear

Status
    oh man was hoping it wasn't the turbo but most probably is. pick up seems almost fine and while driving about 35mph+ the noise is pretty much faded away, but then decreasing in speed the whine comes back and pretty loud especially outside. when im driving with the music on then it's not heard at all.
    Black A3 S-line 2.0TDi
    Mods: Hybrid Turbo - Custom Exhaust - Weitec Coilovers - Tints - Gloss Black Optics Grill - Led Number Plate Lights - Led Interior Lights - S3 Mirrors - Retro Fitted Arm Rest - 09 rear lights - R8 Oil Cap - Phillips Diamond Vision Lights

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Sounds like the turbo mate. I would get a recon unit or hybrid fitted before something blows.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

V16
    1st Gear

Status
    yeah, it's been like this for a while but my worst fear is if it blows. whats the difference between a oem turbo and a hybrid turbo as i'm non the wiser? i was looking into MD375 Garrett Hybrid Turbocharger. what are the gains of it being a hybrid turbo? i know it's boost the bhp by some margin, but then will this effect all the other parts as they weren't build for a 220bhp+ car.
    Black A3 S-line 2.0TDi

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    CR Turbos will sale you the same spec hybrid as the Turbo Dynamics one only a lot cheaper. Strange thing is you can buy a new hybrid turbo for the same money or less then a standard turbo. If you fit a hybrid you will need a remap but anything else just helps like exhaust etc. Depending one the sort of map and how you drive an uprated clutch will probably need fitting as some stage. The stock clutch might last 1 mile or 50,000 miles so just leave it and see how you go. I read in your sig you have an Evolutions remap, strange company. Just out of interest do you have a dyno graph showing you remapped power?
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

V16
    1st Gear

Status
    so how much would i be looking for like a rough price for the turbo and fitting? i think an upgraded clutch will be needed in the next few months. I was reluctant at first with the evo map, but at the time an rs4 was being mapped plus they had done a lot of cars. I can't fault the map and the car is much quicker compared to stock, especially top end. but do u think my turbo would of lasted a lot longer if it wasn't mapped? i guess getting a bigger turbo should solve the problem.
    Black A3 S-line 2.0TDi

V16
    1st Gear

Status
    oh and no i don't have a dyno, need to get one but i guess i'll have to wait for the new turbo.
    Black A3 S-line 2.0TDi