Driving with DSG

loftusrich

Reaction score
Is there an idiots guide to driving with a DSG gearbox available? I have driven an automatic only briefly before and have the following questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
1. In manual mode do you need to flip down to neutral when approaching a situation where you need to stop?
2. The literature for DSG says it preselects the next gear. Say you have accelerated from 2nd to third, presumably 4th is selected - but what happens if you neeed to slow down and then go into second?
3. Do the paddles move with the steering wheel when turning or do they stay in the same position?

Had thought about asking a salesman at the dealers but an expression including choclate fire guard and being as useful as springs to mind.

Cheers

Richard

1. No. You can if you want, but it will go to 1st for you.

2. It's all so fast you won't notice, so no problem.

3. they move with the steering wheel, so if you keep your hands 10-to-2 you will be ready... or if you get stuck, push the autostick up/down to do the same.

I'm on a roll... any more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I read somewhere that there are two shafts with the gears on.

1st shaft has 1st, 3rd, 5th + reverse
2nd has 2nd, 4th + 6th.

I believe this arrangement in conjunction with the dual clutch design allows it to have the next gear up and down available to automatically select within 0.2s. If you brake hard say from 3rd to standstill very quickly, it'll change from 3rd down into 2nd then selecting 1st, it does that in about 0.9s.

Thats as much as I can remember from the article I read and I might have some of it wrong, but basically you drive the DSG as though it was a normal auto. When its in manual mode if you screw it to silly red lines it'll change up for you and vice versa , it'll change down if it thinks its going to stall.

Ta.
Presumably the reason for quattro not having DSG with the 4cyl engines is due to the engine layout, transverse and longitudal.
Fifth to third / second changes not a problem?

I am trying to convince myself to upgrade from 172 to A3 and fancy quattro & DSG which means V6 iirc. Problem is that will cost me twice the price of a 182 to get an equivalent-ish spec. (6CD, xenons and half leather) Rattles are a free compulsory upgrade with Renault though.

Richard

If anyone is interested there is the first of a short series of articles explaining how the DSG gearbox works in this month's (November 2004) edition of the Audi Driver magazine.

Mine arrived in the post today, so it should be on sale in good newsagents.

I agree that some articles about driving with a DSG would be of great interest. Perhaps Audi could come up with some more information.