Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By adamss24

Thread: 2.0 TDI Hybrid turbo gone :(

ANdi P.

Status

2.0 TDI Hybrid turbo gone :(

Hello guys,

A sad moment happened yesterday when driving from work to home, i was doing around 30kmph and when blue smoke came ount from the back of the car and a strange sound, i've pulled over stopped the engine and checked the oil level, NOTHING, all of the oil gone on the exhaust, called up a trailing company to come and pick my car and took it to the Audi dealer, the diagnostic was very quick and hash - turbo popped. What i must state from the start if that my 2.0 TDI had a hybrid turbo from Turbo Dynamics that lasted around 15000-2000KM, now i want to change it on warranty and to ask for a full refund because this is the second hybrid from them that popped.
    I've checked around the internet and i've found that there are also 2 other companies that build hybrids in UK:
    - OWEN Development
    - CR Turbo

What do you recommend to choose, at Turnbo Dynamics i've liked the customer care service each time i had issues they were very communicative and shipped the new turbo with DHL express.

Many thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    CR turbo are very good but it might be a lot cheaper if you contact Finturbo as they are a lot closer to you plus they do very good work. I use them myself for my turbo work.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

ANdi P.

Status
    mikey why do you say that cr turbo are expensive for my hybrid turbo i've paied to turbo dynamics around 950euros.

Status
    I think something i said has got mixed up in translation. I did not say CR turbo are expensive. CR Turbo prices are as far as i am aware cheaper then Turbo Dynamics. Finturbo are based in Finland so might be cheaper as they are closer to you and how the exchange rate works.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

ANdi P.

Status
    Thanks again, with the shipping there is no problem because i will ship first to my uncle who lives in england and he then will ship it to Romania with an extra low cost.

ANdi P.

Status
    Today i've talked with Mark Arnold from CR Turbo we made me a wonderful offer for a Hybrid turbo - 595gbp + shipping to my country, to be honest i can't belive it since Turbo Dynamics asked for 1000euro + shipping.

Status
    Is that a price to make a standard turbo into a hybrid and ship it to you as that would be about right for what they charge for that.

ANdi P.

Status
    Nope that's the price for a new hybrid turbo.

Status
    That is very cheap then as like you said it is half the price of Turbo dynamics and any other turbo company i know.

ANdi P.

Status
    What i've forgot to mention is that the turbo is sold vat vree because i bought using my company here in Romania.

Status
    If you bought it as if you where a motor trader so as what we call trade price here in England then that would be about right for CR turbos, but still a good price. Turbo Dynamics are the most expensive people to buy diesel hybrids from In England that i know. That is one reason that i have never dealt with them as turbos and hybrid work can get done much cheaper else where like Finturbo that i use.

5th Gear

Status
    Ive just ordered from turbo dynamics stage 2, how are there turbos ? As ive heard good things frim N8
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

6th Gear

Status
    If you want a good job and reasonable price then i would recommend Adam Davidson at TDI Turbos, he built me a hybrid which used to be a Turbo Dynamics jobbie which only lasted few thousands miles at a time ! It's been repaired twice then they tried to sell me a new turbo. Had enough of their bluff then sent it to Adam which did a cracking job and i used a bigger turbine as well ! here's a few pictures, it also been very reasonable: full rebuild with new bearings, seals and machining of the hot side + VSR ballancing for £285 inclusive of VAT !

martinivw and Digzz like this.
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

5th Gear

Status
    Turbo dynamics unit failed ? Also what turbo dynamics unit was it ? As this is the one ive ordered
    MDX481 Stage 2 Hybrid Turbo for VAG 2.0TDI 140bhp engines [MDX481] - £805.00 : Turbo Dynamics, Turbochargers & Performance Products

Theres a few people on ASN running these on there cars withough faults so im wondering which unit you had and if you had 12months gurantee
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Can't fault TD hybrids - when I sold my PD golf the turbo had done over 30k miles without any issues. Could be down to the mapping why they fail.

TD themselves said 1.9 bar is the maximum boost you should be running on these and wouldn't warrant the units beyond that.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

5th Gear

Status
    They told me 1.7bar is good 1.8max and then said the turbos are made to last but if they run to much boost then your asking for problems, thanks for reassurance davc

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI140 View Post
    They told me 1.7bar is good 1.8max and then said the turbos are made to last but if they run to much boost then your asking for problems, thanks for reassurance davc
    No probs.

They must have toned it down a bit in recent years
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davc View Post
    No probs.

They must have toned it down a bit in recent years
    haha they said running 1.8bar with all my mods and if i add a forge fmic i will be touching the 245bhp mark and clutch will cook within about a week even if its brand new unless i buy an uprated clutch so i think ill do a 1.7bar map and save then invest in a dual mass flywheel clutch kit that can handle about 360 ft lb as soon as my clutch starts slipping, then hopefully by end of the year have some bosio 1287+ injectors

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    I think they might be telling porkies. Mine was running a similar spec to yours - PD150 with BMC panel filter, Milltek TB, Sachs clutch kit and the turbo (MD376 also quoted @ 240-260bhp) was maxxed @ 1.9 bar. That produced 198bhp and 290lbs/ft.

I assume the PD140 also uses a VNT17 as well - to make 245bhp you would need something a lot bigger, something like a VNT22 as fitted to the 3L BMW diesels.

Have you heard of these guys? Darkside GTB Turbo Kit for 2.0 16V TDI (BKD) - Darkside Developments

5th Gear

Status
    Hmm will have to see if it only produces 198bho i will be dissapiinted as my remap on standard turbo was 175 bhp with 309ft lb wilk see in a couple of days when its fitted ill post results on this thread, i need to save up quickly for a clutch kit lol

5th Gear

Status
    Think its a 56mm compressor GT2056 spec cant quite remember what they said on the phone but im sure ill get over 210bhp otherwise ive wasted £1000 :-/ will be happy with above 210bhp tbh then hopefully injectors will add a bit

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI140 View Post
    Think its a 56mm compressor GT2056 spec cant quite remember what they said on the phone but im sure ill get over 210bhp otherwise ive wasted £1000 :-/ will be happy with above 210bhp tbh then hopefully injectors will add a bit
    Yeah that sounds about right on the compressor side. TBH on mine the stock clutch could handle the 290lbs/ft most of the time except in winter when the intake temps were much lower and would slip occasionally.

There are wild variations in dyno ouputs - my car was mapped @ StarPerformance on their Maha dyno which produced conservative outputs compared to others. Remapped PD130 & 140's on std turbos generally produced around the 275lbs/ft mark IIRC.

Back in the day there were loads of discussions/arguments over on uk-mkivs.net on this and the general consensus was that this was a realistic figure. Taking your figures as an example - you would need a lot more than 175bhp to make 309lbs/ft.

A mate of mine running a vnt20 from the 2.5 V6 TDI on his PD130 got around 220bhp and 310 lbs/ft measured on a Dastek dyno which are considered the most accurate out there.

Try it first without the upgraded clutch - you may be surprised at how well it copes.

5th Gear

Status
    Impressive you know your stuff pal, i will post my current renap results and then hybrid dyno results, my mate has a dastek dyno so im in luck

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Excellent, look forward to seeing your results.