A3 Dodgy wheels? You Decide!

SID

Reaction score
hi.. i bought some bbs lm rims yesterday and fitted them onto my Audi a3 2.0tdi sport. the front alloys are 8j and the rears 9j. 5x112 et 35.. Ive fitted the alloys on but the rear wheels stick out a bit.. and the rear alloys are stretched slightly. they are fitted with low profile tyres of 215's.. im gonna attach some pics below.. was wondering if you guys could tell me if these are legal or not...

Also I was advised by a tire shop to change all four tires to something larger as apparently they are too small and "The wheel rotation doesn't match the rotation of the gearbox and will cause damage to it" Just sounds like voodoo to me anyone shed some light on this please?

Over speed humps I occasionally hear a scrape but not sure if it is due to the wheels being too small.

IMG00166-20100513-1806.jpg
IMG00167-20100513-1807.jpg
IMG00169-20100513-1808.jpg

Thanks.

imo et 42 is lowest to go on a3 , and imo 8" wide rim is beat with 225 tyres

Whilst im no expert on wheels/tires - it doesnt look right from the angles you've posted. In the 1st pic the tire looks like its stretched within an inch of its life, so much so that the tire wall is nearly at the same angle as the main tread. In the second pic it looks as if the wheel is angling away from the car (which my be the way its meant to be but just looked a bit odd).

Are the rims reps or genuine?

Your wheel's are fine. As long as the tyre tread is under the wheel arch, then its legal. The sidewall/rim can poke out still.

As for the gearbox, all it will do is make the speedo wrong, and make it seem like your doing more miles at worst. Unless its Quattro, I think they don't like running different width rims but could be wrong.

My old car the wheels used to poke :)

DSCN3215-1.jpg

i would get it lowered and see if you need some very thin spacers to clear an object that could be causing the crunch sound, other than that as long as they hold air and run alright then i would leave them they look good.

I'm sure the manufacturers specified operating parameters will suggest you don't run that level of rim stretch, and the tyre wall is built to disapate the energy for hitting pot holes etc when it is more vertically aligned.

But if you like scene then you wont care about that.

Your wheel's are fine. As long as the tyre tread is under the wheel arch, then its legal. The sidewall/rim can poke out still.

My old car the wheels used to poke :)

Sorry Dec but that's not true... if the width of the wheels/tyres extend out beyond the width of the arches by even the slightest margin then unfortunately they are deemed as illegal. It's to do with pedestrian safety so the arch will deflect any contact in the event of the two coming together. If you're pulled by the boys in blue you'll almost definitely get a ticket to put them right!

Ah right, I used to go to a meet around here, and then one day the traffic police came along trying to ticket around 10 cars for it, but one guy was adament they were legal and had a laptop with him and managed to 'prove' it's not illegal. I think that it's more of a legal Blackspot as opposed to being a legal/illegal thing. I'm probably wrong though, personally I try to avoid driving close enough to pedestrians that my arch is nowhere near them :p

OP - any better pics of the car/wheels? Been thinking of LM's myself :)

Council Directive 78/549/EEC of 12 June 1978 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the wheel guards of motor vehicles

Article 6
This Directive is addressed to the Member States.

Done at Luxembourg, 12 June 1978.

For the Council
The President
K. OLESEN

ANNEX I

1. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS 1.1. The motor vehicle must be provided with wheel guards (parts of the bodywork, mudguards, etc.).

1.2. The wheel guards must be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as possible, against thrown-up stones, mud, ice, snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.

2. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS 2.1. The wheel guards must meet the following requirements when the vehicle is in running order (see section 2.6 of Annex I to Directive 70/156/EEC) and the wheels are in the dead ahead position:

2.1.1. In the part formed by radial planes at an angle of 30º to the front and 50º to the rear of the centre of the wheels (see figure 1), the overall width (q) of the wheel guards must be at least sufficient to cover the total tyre width (b) taking into account the extremes of tyre/wheel combination as specified by the manufacturer and as indicated in section 5.2 of the certificate set out in Annex II. In the case of twin wheels, the total width over the two tyres (t) shall be taken into account. 2.1.1.1. For the purposes of determining the widths referred to in 2.1.1, the labelling (marking) and decorations, protective bands or ribs on tyre walls are not taken into account.

2.1.2. The rear of the wheel guards must not terminate above a horizontal plane 150 mm above the axis of rotation of the wheels (as measured at the wheel centres) and furthermore the intersection of the edge of the wheel guard with this plane (point A, figure 1) must lie outside the median longitudinal plane of the tyre, or in the case of twin wheels the median longitudinal plane of the outermost tyre.

2.1.3. The contour and location of the wheel guards shall be such that they are as close to the tyre as possible ; and in particular within the part formed by the radial planes referred to in 2.1.1, they shall satisfy the following requirements: 2.1.3.1. the projection - situated in the vertical plane of the tyre axis - of the depth (p) of the outer edge of the wheel guards, measured in the vertical longitudinal plane passing through the centre of the tyre, must be at least 30 mm. This depth (p) may be reduced progressively to zero at the radial planes specified in 2.1.1;

2.1.3.2. the distance © between the lower edges of the wheel guards and the axis passing through the centre of the wheels must not exceed 2r, "r" being the static radius of the tyre.

2.1.4. In the case of vehicles having adjustable suspension height, the abovementioned requirements must be met when the vehicle is in the normal running position specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

2.2. The wheel guards may consist of several components, provided no gaps exist between or within the individual parts when assembled.

2.3. The wheel guards must be firmly attached. However, they may be detachable either as a unit or in parts.

Basically it means:-

Tyres must be fully covered by the wheel arches, excluding any side wall raised lettering or protective ribbing on the side walls of the tyres, or wheel hubs. This may not be a MOT issue but would be an issue under The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

Regarding the stretched tyres I found mention of it elsewhere:-

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/24937-stretched-tyres-are-they-legal-or-not/?

And a <snip> regarding Dunlop's stand:-

Dunlop

"RIM WIDTH
Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.
If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat build up in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement.

I don't think I'd be comfortable driving with that particular setup.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

They arent dodgy, just the wrong offset, whoever sold you them needs a slap! I'm assuming they are reps and if so they are available in ET45 and the rim would sit much better.

quattros can run staggered wheels no problem, thats what audi did with the TTQS

thanx guys for your help.. there is a difference of opinion.. so overall would you guys say they are legal or illegal?
if these are illegal.. then i will just sell them off.. please post if anyone interested!

215's are fine on a 9" wheel as long as you're comfortable with it being a compromise on ride/handling/safety/legality. I am, but not everybody else is!

ET35 is madness though, I like a bit of poke (ooer) but think that's a few mm too far.

And if you're going to run that sort of width, it needs to be SLAMMED!

Get some F1's or something with a rim protector !! while you can before its too late..

Get some F1's or something with a rim protector !! while you can before its too late..

Not gonna make the slightest difference on them. I'd go for some Falkens as they're quite stretchy.

:idea: OK so get some wheels and tyre's the right size then you wont have a problem..

From your first pic, they don't look right, but get some more on and some from the side too!

I think it's because it needs lowering a foot or so. If it rubs now, it won't even roll when it's dropped.