Volks AutosEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Just to clear up a few things here:
    1. All A3's have a sub behind the passenger side boot panel, regardless of Bose or non Bose
    2. Unfortunately they share the same cheap plastic enclosure, so I guess Bose have done the best they can given the constraints Audi put on them for cost and having to share this feeble sub enclosure.
    3. By disconnecting the Bose EQ wire on the back of the HU you are not disconnecting Bose, merely taking off the flat EQ the Bose system provides as standard and getting back a smiley face EQ of the non Bosed HU. You still have the Bose amp, speakers and sub.
    4. The Bose welcome on startup is a setting via VAGCOM/VCDS and is purely cosmetic, it means nothing.
    5. The pic posted above is a stealth sub in an A4 Avant. The A3 stealth sub is below and the amp is hidden behind the rear speaker panel.
    Plastic tupperware Bose sub

18mm MDF Stealth sub enclosure, 6.5" JL Audio subwoofer powered by 300wrms Alpine V12 amp

All details are here:
    http://www.dizzythedog.com/index.php...tealth_sub&a=1
    Last edited by AndyMac; 16th May 2010 at 23:32.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

2. # ADS
    ADS

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Offtopic, but I don't think my car has the soundproofing piece in the wheel well; does that foam sit below the spare wheel?

Status
    No just around the spare wheel in 3 sections
    Alex Turner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Just to clear up a few things here:
    1. All A3's have a sub behind the passenger side boot panel, regardless of Bose or non Bose
    2. Unfortunately they share the same cheap plastic enclosure, so I guess Bose have done the best they can given the constraints Audi put on them for cost and having to share this feeble sub enclosure.
    3. By disconnecting the Bose EQ wire on the back of the HU you are not disconnecting Bose, merely taking off the flat EQ the Bose system provides as standard and getting back a smiley face EQ of the non Bosed HU. You still have the Bose amp, speakers and sub.
    4. The Bose welcome on startup is a setting via VAGCOM/VCDS and is purely cosmetic, it means nothing.
    5. The pic posted above is a stealth sub in an A4 Avant. The A3 stealth sub is below and the amp is hidden behind the rear speaker panel.
    Plastic tupperware Bose sub

18mm MDF Stealth sub enclosure, 6.5" JL Audio subwoofer powered by 300wrms Alpine V12 amp

All details are here:
    http://www.dizzythedog.com/index.php...tealth_sub&a=1
    Where is the amp mate??

Picture would be great. Also how do you manage the wiring between the Bose system and this? Just an output feed from the Bose to the Alpine sub channel and then put conventional power cables through to the Alpine amp?

Shame my old sub is too big (Alpine 12" R type closed box dual voice coil jobbie).
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Neutral

Status
    I ordered my 2008 2.0 tdi s-line new with Concert 6cd changer and Bose, and at first it sounded great. Somewhere, and at some time, the sound experience was not as good as new anymore; stereo channel separation was suddenly rubbish (tested with radio, CD and external source), humble bass and a bit of treble and mid-tone distortion at mid-range volume, and the speakers were NOT blown, I took them out of the car and checked them connected to my home stereo.

All this happened at the same time as the Gala-function did not work as usual before, the speed-controlled volume did not work at normal low speeds. After a service done by Audi Zentrum Flensburg Germany the good old Bose sound came back with full force, they did not tell me what they did with the setup, but it still works 100%

I'm not quite sure what to think of this - either there is a software bug in the headunit communication with the Bose Amplifier that they reset on service, or, there is a physical connection error somewhere that they can fix if notified, and provided that you are lucky enough to get in touch with a mechanic that knows this kind of error? Or, maybe the amplifier was the problem and was replaced? (It sits in the trunk on the right hand side)
    Last edited by a3kjorer; 17th May 2010 at 10:50.
    2008 A3 2.0 TDI S-line

5th Gear

Status
    Thats the one AndyMac
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Status
    You can fiddle with the EQ slope on the HU which can dramatically effect the Bose sound, maybe this got altered on battery disconnect for the service, might be why some people's systems sound a bit flat also:
    "To access the EQ all you have to do is turn off your car and remove the key. Then hold down the number '5' on your CD changer/Radio preset control and power on the head unit.
    You will see '55555555' if your radio is in stock form. These numbers represent 4 EQ settings each for front and back. They are, in order from left to right (courtesy of LCP on the AudiWorld forums):
    1. Front low bass
    2. Front mid bass
    3. Front midrange
    4. Front treble
    5. Rear low bass
    6. Rear mid bass
    7. Rear midrange
    8. Rear treble
    To adjust the settings, use your volume knob to change the flashing digit to a value from 1 to 9 (1 being the lowest level, 9 being the highest) and press P.SCAN to go to the next digit. When you get to the end it will wrap back to the first digit.
    The most popular settings for bose seem to be 88698869, however after a bit of testing with my favorite music, I found that to sound boomy and hollow and have since gone with 76567656. My next task will be to increase the directional (midrange and treble) sound on the front speakers only to bring the Bose sound stage back towards the front without sacrificing bass out of my rear speakers.
    The best setting that I have heard for the non-bose system is 38679657. It still doesn't sound like bose, and certainly not like a good after-market setup, but it's a major improvement for those that wish a simple change to improve their overall sound and reduce distortion"
    Alex Turner

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Well done AndyMac, sound advice as always!

How do you enter those Bose settings on a new Concert HU, I don't have a number 5 button or a p.scan button...or am I being a numpty??
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    No idea, just quoting something I found on audiworld. I neither endorse or take responsibility for anything I say.
    Alex Turner

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    No idea, just quoting something I found on audiworld. I neither endorse or take responsibility for anything I say.
    Ahhh....I suspect that as the Concert III has Bass, Mid and Treble adjustments in the menu that it doesn't require the hidden features on the previous model, well thats what I thought when sitting in the car on the drive earlier anyway!

Are you still producing your sub enclosures?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Yes still doing them
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Well done AndyMac, sound advice as always!

How do you enter those Bose settings on a new Concert HU, I don't have a number 5 button or a p.scan button...or am I being a numpty??
    I had the same dilemna. It appears you access the Bose EQ settings on the latest HUs via VAG-COM, not using the method above.

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    andy do you sell any subs for the Sportback A3?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

Status
    No it doesn't fit the sportback, would you believe Audi redesigned the sub just for the sportback so that you have the benefit of the slightly sculpted boot panels? (a stupid little indent at the top of the panel which provides no usable increase in boot space but probably adds some vital cubic cm's to the spec sheet). On all other A3/S3's the boot panels are flat. This unusable space on the sportback means the panel will not fit over the stealth sub. Can't redesign it as there is barely enough room for the standard stealth enclosure, plus there's nowhere to hide the amp.
    Cheers, Andy
    Alex Turner

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

is there no way of mounting the amp on the other side of the boot (drivers side) where the original Bose amp is supposed to be?
    i want to keep the stealth sub feature as i use my boot on a regular basis, and dont really want a big box in the boot but the bose system is crappy on most songs and fails to deliver decent quality of music on most songs.
    i admit it is better than the OEM speakers but not worth its money.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

Status
    No the Bose amp is tiny, a proper amp will not fit and you still need the Bose amp for the cabin speakers unless you go aftermarket HU and new speakers all round.
    Alex Turner

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

ok thanks andy, looks like i will either put up with it or get a box in the boot
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

Reverse Gear

Status
    My S3 bose sound is really good. I understand that the bass isnt particulalry powerful and high-pitched sounds can sound a bit 'peaky', but you can have a conversation in the car with the music turned up quite loud. I think that that's a sign of a well-judged in-car music system.

Top Gear

Status
    I think the BOSE is brilliant, sounds so much better than any other audio set-up ive heard. Granted im only 22 and my last 2 cars were a clio and a Astra sport hatch but yes very impressed. Deadmau5 album + BOSE + Full Volume, no distortion = audio heaven for me. Wonder if they'll start doing the B&O system in the A3...
    2007 57 A3 Diesel Hatchback 2.0 TDi 170 S-line 3dr S-Tronic
    Extras - Black Styling Pack, Xenon Headlights, Privacy Glass, 18" 20 Spoke Alloy Wheels, Sat Nav, Heated Leather Seats, IPOD connection, BOSE sound system, De-badged Rear Tailgate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12