Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By Artimus

Thread: Adaptive Lights

Neutral

Status

Adaptive Lights

Has anyone got these on their A3 and if so what's the general opinion? Thinking about adding them to my BE order but not really sure whether they are worth it?

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 ~ MTM 330BHP ~ Milltek TBE

Status
    I had OEM adaptive bi-zenons added to my S3 and although they're really cool, I don't know they're worth the money.
    ~ The Maestro ~

• S3 MTM (Current)
    • A4 Avant S-Line 3.0L TDI
    • A4 Avant S-Line 2.0L TDI

Neutral

Status
    I have adaptive Bi-xenons on my A3 and the jury is still out as to whether they are worth the money. They were not as good as I had expected but drive at night on an unfamiliar country road and they come in to their own.

3rd Gear

Status
    worth every penny and work very well, especially into bends\corners.
    You can take the boy out of Essex but not Essex out of the boy...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kkp0897 View Post
    worth every penny and work very well, especially into bends\corners.

If you live in the country, these are invaluable.
    I particularly remember spotting and avoiding a deer around a left hand corner that I feel I would not have seen without the adaptive lights.
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the input guys! Will give it some serious thought

2nd Gear

Status
    Is a retrofit possible?
    S3 Sportback - Ibis White
    Factory: Privacy Glass, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Ipod Dock
    Modifications: Revo Stage 2+, Forge CAI, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE - H&R ARB's & Springs - TV Tuner, Reverse Camera

Wanted: Stock S3 facelift alloys

Gievf Buckets

Status
    yes though it would require a rewire no doubt possibly a cenral electrics unit nhn would agree im sure

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

1st Gear

Status
    I picked up my new S3 on Saturday and I ordered the adaptive lights, but I'm not sure if I have them or not.

Should they work when stationary or is it only only when moving ? ie sitting on my driveway, going from one lock to the other, there is no change in the direction of the light on either dipped headlights or full beam - does that sound right ?

Is it just on dipped headlights or also on full beam, or just on full beam ?

Anyone know what the 3 letter code is for that accessory as I think their is a sticker somewhere ( is it in the boot beside the spare ? ) that lists all the option codes.

Thanks,
    Yaks

Edit : Found the code 8Q5 and my sticker says I do have them, anyone know if they should work when stationary ?
    Edit2 : further searching implies they only work between 10mph and about 80mph
    Last edited by Yaks; 9th August 2010 at 22:59.
    2010 S3 Sportback, MY11, S-tronic, Sprint Blue - gone
    2010 A3 TDi 170 quattro, Black Edition, Phantom Black

Neutral

Status
    I've seen them in a video for a retrofitting company on the web. The video shows them moving side to side when stationary! I will have a butchers and post back if I can find it!

Neutral

Status

3rd Gear

Status
    Hmm I would be tempted to have the adaptive lights fitted, what are the going prices for a retrofit

Status
    You really notice you have them as soon as you get a bit of fog as you see the beams shifting with your steering input.

If you live in a city and your only other driving is motorway I wouldn't bother, but if you live out in the 'cunryside' they are well worth buying. Get on a winding unfamiliar country road at night and they are very good
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    You really notice you have them as soon as you get a bit of fog as you see the beams shifting with your steering input.

If you live in a city and your only other driving is motorway I wouldn't bother, but if you live out in the 'cunryside' they are well worth buying. Get on a winding unfamiliar country road at night and they are very good
    I live nr Ashdown forest where at the moment 900 dear are hit a year, they have no intension of culling them, and drive quite a lot at night, over my years of driving have hit a few, but never to cause damage to warrant a claim, a fox was my worse, cost me 500-00 odd

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Butler View Post
    I live nr Ashdown forest where at the moment 900 dear are hit a year, they have no intension of culling them, and drive quite a lot at night, over my years of driving have hit a few, but never to cause damage to warrant a claim, a fox was my worse, cost me 500-00 odd
    Ouch - never nice from a driver confidence or cost perspective!

I guess the only other factor hear is speed - whilst adaptive lights provide great visibility they will never stop animals making an unannounced entry onto the highway. Adaptives will allow you to have a better range of visibility which means you are better prepared for upcoming road conditions, but variable factors are always going to be the fly in the ointment.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    I picked up my new S3 on Saturday and I ordered the adaptive lights, but I'm not sure if I have them or not.

Should they work when stationary or is it only only when moving ? ie sitting on my driveway, going from one lock to the other, there is no change in the direction of the light on either dipped headlights or full beam - does that sound right ?

Is it just on dipped headlights or also on full beam, or just on full beam ?

Anyone know what the 3 letter code is for that accessory as I think their is a sticker somewhere ( is it in the boot beside the spare ? ) that lists all the option codes.

Thanks,
    Yaks

Edit : Found the code 8Q5 and my sticker says I do have them, anyone know if they should work when stationary ?
    Edit2 : further searching implies they only work between 10mph and about 80mph
    Ive got them fitted, the best way to test them is when drivin at about 15-20mphs at night (the darker the better), just turn your steering wheel a slight bit to right then left then back to right quickly (or vice versa like this smiley ) and you will see the beam of the xenon lights trying to catch up your your steering wheel input. Thats the best way to check and you dont need fog lol, hope that helps.
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah I can do a retrofit & wiring changes aswell as modules required, isnt cheap but I love mine, one of my favourite mods, work great really do & no they dont work stationary, however drive of slowly & turn your wheel at night from say a junction & you'll see them swivel, however there is a showroom option in 55 iirc that you can test there functions with.
    DeeGee68 likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Got um on my s3. Bloody great. Worth every penny

5th Gear

Status
    Have them on my A3. A bonus if driving a lot on windy roads. Otherwise not worth the extra imho.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes but having bixenons & then adaptives on top, its a mere £300 extra when speccing an a3 now, thats nothing in grand scheme, so if you want bixenons then would seem silly not to have the adaptives.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    i've got adaptives on my A6, i wouldn't have a car without them now, jumping into my s2000 is a right pain as the lights are better but the light doesn't go where i want to see!
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

4th Gear

Status
    thread revival but how can I tell if my bi-xenons are adaptive or not? cheers.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

5th Gear

Status
    Look to the rear of the round bulb area of the light assembly.
    If it's black.. then they are not adaptive
    If silver they are adaptive per inside boxed area of pic.

audi-a3-adaptive light silver.jpg

Short Back

Status
    You'll also notice the beam swivel in low speed bends\corners. If you've not had a car with them fitted before it'll seem strange at first... It almost looks\feels like the car is over-steering.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

5th Gear

Status
    Can not test this unless lights are on and car is going over 10 ~ 15mph in the dark / low light.

So do not take any 'donkey's' word for it if they say it's got adaptive..

Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    You'll also notice the beam swivel in low speed bends\corners. If you've not had a car with them fitted before it'll seem strange at first... It almost looks\feels like the car is over-steering.

Neutral

Status
    i likr it when you start up the car at niight the main beam levels itself and you can see the beam adjusting,as others have said they are v good in dark country lanes and also an eye catcher on DRL mode but very expensive to buy and set up

In awe of VCDS

Status
    I think the autolevel thing is also on bixenon and not just the adaptives. I'm sure mine are standard bixenon, but still do the levelling thing when I turn them on.

Does anyone know why they don't always move up and down everytime I turn them on. They seem the right level, but don't always dip down and up as I turn them on.
    Maybe they're already level so don't need to move.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

Short Back

Status
    They level every time the ignition is switched on, but you only see it if you switch your lights on quickly or they're already on when you turn the key.
    NHN likes this.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    They are awsome, love that up down thing they do when you turn the car on at night :D
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

4th Gear

Status
    I'm getting an ADAPTIVE LIGHT DEFECT and trying to determine if they are actually adaptive lights fitted or just regular bi xenon's. They work fine but car was hit and repaired so they may have fitted regular bi xenons instead

Its 56 plate so not the fancy ones shown above. Thanks guys.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....