The 2.0 TDI, nice engine, but its a noisy old lump.

paul_r

Reaction score
Having just bought my first Audi and first diesel, i'm liking ita lot. 56.3 mpg and lots of torque. But its a noisy old lump. How do Audi diesels compare. Is it known as a noisy engine.

Mine is a 2005, 55k.

I agree with the comments about the noise.

Spend a few pounds and an afternoon fitting soundproofing to the engine bay, I find it has made a big difference. Mine's a 2005 Sportback on 71k.

Yes the noise is almost verging on unacceptable in the A3 IMO. My brother's 53-reg A4 1.9TDi is much better. Even if the 2.0TDI wasn't actually a step forward in refinement it still should be more sound proofed or something in the A3. It is annoying that my dad's 1995 Rover 420Sdi is subjectively better for noise particulalry as it's 10 years older. And their 10 year old Rover 75 2.0TDi with BMW diesel lump is light years ahead.

As is the case in most diesel cars, it's most noticeable setting off and in lower gears, and once up to speed it's not bad at all, but then the unusually high A3 road noise takes over :w00t:

Meejaman, what sound proofing did you use and where did you put it in the engine bay?

Yes the noise is almost verging on unacceptable in the A3 IMO. My brother's 53-reg A4 1.9TDi is much better. Even if the 2.0TDI wasn't actually a step forward in refinement it still should be more sound proofed or something in the A3. It is annoying that my dad's 1995 Rover 420Sdi is subjectively better for noise particulalry as it's 10 years older. And their 10 year old Rover 75 2.0TDi with BMW diesel lump is light years ahead.

As is the case in most diesel cars, it's most noticeable setting off and in lower gears, and once up to speed it's not bad at all, but then the unusually high A3 road noise takes over :w00t:

Meejaman, what sound proofing did you use and where did you put it in the engine bay?

Road noise in my car is quite a bit now i've got the stiffer Weitec's and the 35 profile tyres :crying:

All worth it though :) Just have to turn the stereo up a bit

Having just bought my first Audi and first diesel, i'm liking ita lot. 56.3 mpg and lots of torque. But its a noisy old lump. How do Audi diesels compare. Is it known as a noisy engine.

Mine is a 2005, 55k.

heyyyy me too, lol ive just got my first audi and diesel also. mines is a 2003 on A3.
its in my garage gettin a bit n body work done to it as i bought damaged! its taking shape now! lol!

good luck!

I agree with the comments about the noise.

Spend a few pounds and an afternoon fitting soundproofing to the engine bay, I find it has made a big difference. Mine's a 2005 Sportback on 71k.

Hi,
Do you have any more info, and some photo's. There is already soundproofing there. Did you remove it, or add to it.

I called in to noisekiller in Bolton on route to Scotland. They added some under the bonnet. I bought some material from them and did the Boot with it which is relatively easy. I've been looking at doing the doors to help the bose system. Whilst searching on here for door soundproofing I discovered the bose bass unit upgrade and cable cutting mod.

This site is a fabulous resource of knowlege, but it's costing me a fortune!

http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/car_soundproofing_products.asp

I’m looking to sound proof the engine bay on the 1.8T, as it’s rather found. Has anyone fitted any material under the bonnet on the ‘cheap’?