Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

The 2.0 TDI, nice engine, but its a noisy old lump.

Having just bought my first Audi and first diesel, i'm liking ita lot. 56.3 mpg and lots of torque. But its a noisy old lump. How do Audi diesels compare. Is it known as a noisy engine.

Mine is a 2005, 55k.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Yes, PD engines are a pretty noisey engine.
    Unforgivable wheel gap

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Yeah, VAG diesels have always been the top end of the tractor market.

Regardless of the noise though, I loved my derv and would have one back any day!

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

Neutral

Status
    I agree with the comments about the noise.

Spend a few pounds and an afternoon fitting soundproofing to the engine bay, I find it has made a big difference. Mine's a 2005 Sportback on 71k.

6th Gear

Status
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

Heavy DERV clatter

Status
    Meejaman... where did you get your sound proofing mate?
    2006 A3 Sportback 2.0Tdi Sport... So far - Stage 2 custom map (dyno'd at 185bhp), Pipercross panel filter, centre armrest, Alpine IDA-X305 and Bluetooth, hard wired Garmin Nuvi 1690T

To Do's - eibach springs, Votex front lip / spoiler, Votex rear spoiler and skirts, led's all round!

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Yes the noise is almost verging on unacceptable in the A3 IMO. My brother's 53-reg A4 1.9TDi is much better. Even if the 2.0TDI wasn't actually a step forward in refinement it still should be more sound proofed or something in the A3. It is annoying that my dad's 1995 Rover 420Sdi is subjectively better for noise particulalry as it's 10 years older. And their 10 year old Rover 75 2.0TDi with BMW diesel lump is light years ahead.

As is the case in most diesel cars, it's most noticeable setting off and in lower gears, and once up to speed it's not bad at all, but then the unusually high A3 road noise takes over

Meejaman, what sound proofing did you use and where did you put it in the engine bay?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    Yes the noise is almost verging on unacceptable in the A3 IMO. My brother's 53-reg A4 1.9TDi is much better. Even if the 2.0TDI wasn't actually a step forward in refinement it still should be more sound proofed or something in the A3. It is annoying that my dad's 1995 Rover 420Sdi is subjectively better for noise particulalry as it's 10 years older. And their 10 year old Rover 75 2.0TDi with BMW diesel lump is light years ahead.

As is the case in most diesel cars, it's most noticeable setting off and in lower gears, and once up to speed it's not bad at all, but then the unusually high A3 road noise takes over

Meejaman, what sound proofing did you use and where did you put it in the engine bay?
    Road noise in my car is quite a bit now i've got the stiffer Weitec's and the 35 profile tyres

All worth it though Just have to turn the stereo up a bit
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

A3 2.0 TDI SE

Status
    Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_r View Post
    Having just bought my first Audi and first diesel, i'm liking ita lot. 56.3 mpg and lots of torque. But its a noisy old lump. How do Audi diesels compare. Is it known as a noisy engine.

Mine is a 2005, 55k.

heyyyy me too, lol ive just got my first audi and diesel also. mines is a 2003 on A3.
    its in my garage gettin a bit n body work done to it as i bought damaged! its taking shape now! lol!

good luck!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Meejaman View Post
    I agree with the comments about the noise.

Spend a few pounds and an afternoon fitting soundproofing to the engine bay, I find it has made a big difference. Mine's a 2005 Sportback on 71k.
    Hi,
    Do you have any more info, and some photo's. There is already soundproofing there. Did you remove it, or add to it.

Neutral

Status
    I called in to noisekiller in Bolton on route to Scotland. They added some under the bonnet. I bought some material from them and did the Boot with it which is relatively easy. I've been looking at doing the doors to help the bose system. Whilst searching on here for door soundproofing I discovered the bose bass unit upgrade and cable cutting mod.

This site is a fabulous resource of knowlege, but it's costing me a fortune!

http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/car_sou...g_products.asp