egr blanking

What is the benifit of blanking the EGR what exactly does it do.

reduces nitrogen oxide emissions. amount of recirc gases depends on engine speed, quantity of injection, amount of air intake, intake air temperature, air pressure. Its pretty important when engine is cold especially diesels.

Anyone blanked off there egr valve?

yes, exhaust gases are not recirculated back into the engine, so reduces burning efficiency, becuase of less oxygen in exhaust smoke, but when the engine is more than 50ocelcius the egr valuve closes so no exhaust gases go back into engine, so no real point in my opinion. it can be easily switch off with a remap

The EGR is vaccum controlled and cannot be switched off via a remap but can be switched down via Vagcom.
@ navnayyar Are you serious that you don`t understand or see the need to remove the EGR on diesel engines or what performance you can get when you yourself drive a highly modded diesel ? :asskicking:

Here is the main reason people who are into diesel tuning remove the EGR and have done for years !
dirty_EGR.jpg

dirty_manifold.jpg

I've removed the EGR, it was all gunged up just like the picture above. Once you have covered some miles in the car your EGR valve will look like this too. Eventually it will cease up and you will have to spend money replacing it only for it to gunge up again. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see why removing this restriction is a good idea. The EGR valve on my car has been replaced with a straight piece of pipe. A quick remap removes the fault light the engine throws. I would never go back and would always remove it on any future cars.

So there are performance gains to be had?

Or if it stops recirculating exhaust gases when engine temp is 50 degrees then surely theres no point?

And how can a dirty one make an engine run like crap? Can they get stuck open/closed and then opening/recirculating exhaust gases when its not supposed to etc?

There are no performance gains in removing the EGR. What you are doing is stopping the car loosing power because with all that gunk in the pipework it restricts the air flow therefore less power.

Hi guys. I'm planning to get my egr blanked off and mapped out soon. I've got my car booking in with R-tech (who have been getting rave reviews) and they told me it's better to leave it in if its in good working condition. So thought I'd get some more opinions on this lol do the pros outweigh the cons?

And I've been reading about cars taking longer to warm up etc does it take a lot longer or not noticeable?

Thanks in advance

Iv had mine removed but was running a egr reducer gasket before that limits the egr function and don't throw up an error! Will stop the majority of gases through but keep its function!

There are no performance gains in removing the EGR. What you are doing is stopping the car loosing power because with all that gunk in the pipework it restricts the air flow therefore less power.

On a turbo car there is a gain because the exhaust gasses that were being recirculated are now driving the turbo.

When I did mine I felt an earlier stronger turbo spool , it also allows me to stay in a higher gear at lower speeds than before .