Golf GTI v A3 TFSI

Karcsi

Reaction score
Clarkson is over the moon with the new GTI, according to his review in this month's Top Gear magazine. He had nothing but good things to say about the handling.

Now, considering the pretty average handling of the A3 - I get more feedback from oncoming traffic than the steering wheel - will this have been solved for the A3 "GTI"? They are essentially the same car, so why supposedly so different in the handling department?

When the new GTI was mentioned on topgear a while back clarkson and the others laughed at how heavy/slow the thing was. They didnt like it at all.

Seems strange why the top gear magazine would say otherwise.

I've got the latest copy of Autocar, and their first test of the car ranks it better than a CTR as an all rounder, worthy of the GTI moniker

yeah I must say I haven’t read a bad article on the mrk V gti yet. Anyone drove the A3 TFSi yet?

I think I'll stick with my Golf GTI and an A3 2.0 TQ. Rather than have a Golf GTI that thinks it's an A3. Plus the hideous checked seat fabric in the new GTI is a retro feature they could have left in the memory bank. Especially given leather is a £1645 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif option. Why so much more than on the A3?

I test drove the 2.0Tq in Sportback guise this morning. What a fantastic engine! A couple of hundred miles on the clock, and it's like it's been spinning to 6000rpm for thousands. What a great sound, and I love the sound of the DV psst-ing on change up.

Acceleration is great between 0-80mph, overtaking on A-roads is a piece of the proverbial. But after that it seems to struggle a bit. It's supposed to have a top speed of over 140mph, but I wonder how long it would take get to get there. Although perhaps I should have been more ruffless in 4th before changing to 5th.

The car feels much lighter than my TDI, even with the quattro; more balanced, with far less weight on the front. Handling is as good as every - going around corners like nobodies business, and the quattro working effortlessly in tight corners where my 2 wheel drived wonder would struggle badly.

One thing is the same though. Steering is very numb. Although perhaps I'm just not a good enough driver. It was a little damp so I threw it around some roundabouts, inducing some understeer. The steering told me virtually nothing. My butt-o-meter told me that the car was going wide before the steering felt even marginally different.
It was a Sport, but the suspension felt more settled (less jittery over uneven surfaces) than the one on my TDI. Have they revised it over the last year?

All this performance does come with a price: 21 mpg over a 20 mile route. Of course I was booting it, but the same route driving in just as much gusto returned 38mpg with mine.