8 16.67%
  • Upgraded clutch and upgraded SMF fix the clutch slip

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    KRL
    3rd Gear

Status

Question S3 Clutch Slip Poll

Following on from the numerous posts I have seen regarding clutch slip on the S3 I have decided to do a poll to try and gauge how much of a problem it is and when it is likely to happen.

This issue concerns me because there does not appear to be a 100% solution available for it. We can get an uprated clutch (eg Sachs) and run it with the OEM DMF. However from what I understand the OEM DMF is weak and is likely to fail again.

We are able to replace a DMF with an SMF but all cars I've read about which have done this have had problems with gear engagement at high RPMs.

The clutch issues with the S3 is really putting me off increasing the power and torque output of my car past stage 1 at the moment as I do not want to be worrying about my clutch each time I go WOT.

So please discuss and vote on poll with the options which are applicable to you and remember that the poll is multiple choice.

If you have had your clutch replaced with an uprated one please post stating what it is and how many miles you have had on the new clutch and DMF/SMF without issues.

My car has had Revo Stage 1 for the last 12k miles and so far I have had no clutch slip.
    Last edited by KRL; 12th May 2010 at 20:20.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Clutch 1: 11,500 miles - replaced under warranty with new DMF, and rear diff (Stg 1 installed @ 198 miles)
    Clutch 2: 38,500 miles - just starting to show signs of slippage issues when weather is much colder (Stg 2/+ for last 11,000 miles)
    Last edited by warren_S5; 12th May 2010 at 19:43.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Not got the S3 yet but did have a little clutch slip in my leon cupra...don't know if they are the same clutch or not although i would of thought so
    Past cars.....

52 Leon cupra r
    54 Mini cooper s works
    05 golf gti
    07 type r
    57 R32
    08 leon cupra k1
    Red S3 sportback now gone..
    11 A4 136 diesel black edition

Current...

S3 sportback Ibis white pan roof..
    nice to be back after diesel power

2nd Gear

Status
    No slip for me but I have only just gone stage 2+
    S3 Sportback - Ibis White
    Factory: Privacy Glass, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Ipod Dock
    Modifications: Revo Stage 2+, Forge CAI, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE - H&R ARB's & Springs - TV Tuner, Reverse Camera

Wanted: Stock S3 facelift alloys

1st Gear

Status
    In my case, it was the DMF that had gone on a 2007 - one of the first with Stage 1 - Bluefin not the clutch itself apparently.

Reverse Gear

Status
    No slip, MTM stage 2
    MTM Stage 2, Milltek TB, KW-air filter

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3

Status
    Clutch slip, revo stage one lasted about 4k since remap. Getting uprated sachs clutch next week. My mate has stage2+ slipped bad uprated to sachs clutch with the same DMF that came with the car & its perfect not missed a beat & hes drove it hard

Revo Stage 2+ - Miltek Non Res Turbo Back Exhaust - Evoms Intake - Autotech Fuel
    Pump - Forge DV - Sachs Clutch - BSH Engine/Gearbox Mounts - BSH PCV Mod - RS4
    FPR Valve - Airlift Performance Struts With Adjustable Top Mounts & Droplinks with Accuair Management - H & R Anti Roll Bars - 42 Draft Designs Shifter Bushes - BBS E28 Magnesium Motorsport Wheels - Piano
    Black Optics Grill & Fogs - Piano Black Door Mirrors - Carbon Fibre Front Splitter & Rear Diffuser

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Hmmm, interesting results so far. Perhaps when we get stage 1 we should also upgrade the clutch
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gugge View Post
    No slip, MTM stage 2
    No slip here too with MTM stage 2
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

Neutral

Status
    slip with amd stage 1 after 2000 miles new dmf and sachs clutch bein fitted friday.

Neutral

Status
    I'm also being put off a stage 1 conversion by stories of clutch slip, one thing I'd be interested in hearing is the milage at which the map was installed for those who suffered slip. Clearly the amount of wear already on the clutch at the point of mapping will be a factor. Am I worrying too much with only 15k of motorway miles on the clock??

Neutral

Status
    The same day I remapped it to a stage2 clutch started slipping. When they were fitting the uprated one the garage guy told me that the DMF was a bit knackered, my only choice was to keep going with that flywheel if I didn't to be 2 or 3 weeks waiting for another. Now with the OEM spoiled DMF no slipping at all but i feel a strange noise when Neutral gear is engaged.

Boycie

Status
    Clutch Slip at stage 1 - those that haven't had slip with stage1+ must be driving like granny's lol

The clutch is such a soft spot on these cars!

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RonS3 View Post
    I'm also being put off a stage 1 conversion by stories of clutch slip, one thing I'd be interested in hearing is the milage at which the map was installed for those who suffered slip. Clearly the amount of wear already on the clutch at the point of mapping will be a factor. Am I worrying too much with only 15k of motorway miles on the clock??
    Well it seems quite clear that clutch slip will be an issue sooner or later after you remap the car even at stage 1.

With 15k motorway miles I would hope that your clutch would be fine as motorway miles are easy on the clutch.

I am going to make sure that I have enough money put aside for a new clutch before I start pursuing any other power increasing mods from now onwards.

People running the uprated Sachs clutch with an OEM DMF - How many miles have you done on the OEM DMF since the uprated clutch was installed and have there been any clutch slip problems since you installed it?

1st Gear

Status
    Mapped since 800 miles, now 23k, stg2+ for last 10k clutch just started to slip

08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    People running the uprated Sachs clutch with an OEM DMF - How many miles have you done on the OEM DMF since the uprated clutch was installed and have there been any clutch slip problems since you installed it?
    Did my Sachs + OEM DMF upgrade in Feb 2009 and have done about 13,000 on it - including some savage sessions on track and on autobahns.
    No issues whatsoever.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    Did my Sachs + OEM DMF upgrade in Feb 2009 and have done about 13,000 on it - including some savage sessions on track and on autobahns.
    No issues whatsoever.
    Thats good to hear

Was your original DMF knackered?

S3 (8P)

Status
    REVO Stage 1, done about 15K+ miles, clutch has slipped 3 or 4 times over that time when car wasnt warmed up properly, hasnt done it for ages.
    Fingers crossed.

cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Thats good to hear

Was your original DMF knackered?
    AmD showed me the old clutch and the DMF. There were some pretty nasty score marks on the DMF from where the clutch had slipped but I got mine changed the moment it started slipping - no point delaying the inevitable - so they reckoned there could have been a few thousand miles in it before it became undriveable. So it wasn't knackered but it was on its way ...
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

Status
    Mine started slipping last night (far more noticeably), so it's either revert to standard and buy a new car, or fix it. Seems to be quite an improvement in torque since Andy's mods on the ITG, and that extra grunt has unsettled the clutch/DMF. Has been on for nearly 30k though.

Problem is I can't make up my mind what I want next.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Tricky one Warren.

I still feel the S3 is pretty much the best hot hatch around so unless you after moving away from a hatch perhaps you should keep it or get another S3?

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    I started to suffer with clutch slip when i had my TBE fitted, i was previosly running with the GIAC hammer map with no slippage,i guess the exhaust really let through the extra horses so something had to go! I also had boost issues so went to JBS who fixed me up with Custom Code Phase 2 mapping,and clutch slip became considerably more apparent.

Replaced the DMF, and the clutch with Sachs uprated (new OEM DMF) and no problems since - i think i've done about 20k since?

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

Neutral

Status
    Mine was fine standard, slipped for the first time when I had it stage 1 with 18k on the clock. It did it very rarely while it was stage 1. As soon as I got it to stage 2+ it did it all the time, started in 5th then ended up doing it in 3rd so had to get it sorted.

I did a lot of asking around and everyone said to avoid the SMF and just go for a uprated clutch, but DMF's are proper sh#te so I rang Revo up and they told me to ring Backdraft Motorsport and they recommeded what I have now Spec Stage 3 clutch and SMF.

It took a good 3000 miles to get right, gears were proper bad for the first 1000 miles and it would stick in gear a lot. But now its fantastic.

If you can put up with the noise i'd recommend, it feels just as easy to drive now as it did before. You can't be lazy with the clutch though so it actually makes you more careful when changing gear. I managed a 13.1 at Pod on my first run but never managed to beat it, every run I did after was rubbish due to me struggling to get 2nd gear which is due the the engine moving when I side step the cluch at 6k. This is the only problem I can report really and I think a gearbox mount would probably sort out this out, but i'm not doing many launches for obvious reasons so can't say i'm rushing to buy a mount. Day to day its fine, can still do fast changes like before but just have to be more precise with the gear stick when doing so, when the gears get stiff its normally when I haven't given it some beans for a while so a quick boot sorts it out.
    Red 07 S3, Full Milltek turbo back, Autotech pump, Dbilas Flowmaster Intake System, Revo Stage 2+, Spec Clutch (Stage 3) & SMFW, Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 (gloss black) gloss black mirrors, Optics grill and satin black front and rear valance. 13.8 quarter & 5.4 0-60 (GTI International '09 Revo Stage 1)

Boycie

Status
    Anyone else notice that due to the warmer weather that their clutch isn't slipping much or at all?

Mine has not slipped in ages and over the weekend (25+ degrees) I was giving the car pure beans and it didn't slip once!! Loved my driving over the weekend!!!

Possibly due to the warmer air and the car not producing as much power during the winter/colder weather - still going to be purchasing a Sachs clutch!