Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other remap with mini misfire

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No problems

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

waring192

Reaction score
I have this problem along with a few others. Its like the engine has a mini misfire which does not show up on vagcom. Happens while cruising at any speed for me.

Just wanted to try and work out what is causing it so please state in the poll, cheers.

Also please post what year car yours is.

Last edited:
what Boost, timing an fuel settings? you tried logging with different settings, maybe your running too high settings :S

Nope, it happens when the remap is put to stock also via the select plus.

Ive seen alot of these threads since bein on this forum and most of the outcome tends to be changing the exhaust even more so the downpipe. Mine and few others do the same what you are saying. I also think the fuel pump may be causing this as revo is quite agressive & after reading another thread regarding an uprated fuel pump on stage 1 it seems to help quite alot

Mine is 2010 S3, Revo Stage one. the setting are all at the recommended, I cannot remember what all are though, but boost is 6 though. I have a mini misfire, only under almost no load, I think at most speeds you would cruise at, though not cruised at 90 + for too long yet, but I guess for me once over 90 ish, the load is greater so it will not do it.
I haven't noticed it during even slight climb on hills etc, it is Prob worse on slight down hill almost off throttle.

I am pretty sure I have had no problems at all under anything more than a very light loading, and full flat out through the rev range again not noticed anything at all wrong.

If any of you have the select switch, could you turn of the performance mode and see if it is still "hip cupping"

mine does this but only in performance mode. Any ideas on a fix?

mine does this but only in performance mode. Any ideas on a fix?

Will check mine again but im sure it does it also.

Not sure on a fix at the mo, hoping either the valve spring change sort it or some clever techy post something!

I think what it is important to remember here is that there are 2 sides to any story.

We are all VERY aware that there are significant limitations in the S3's fuelling system, and KRL recently highlighted this when he put an aftermarket HPFP on his stock car and saw that the requested vs. actual figures improved on the OEM map.

The 2.0TFSi engine seems to have some foibles in 261PS spec and above, and now the 2.0TSi engine seems to be even more locked down and less inclined to suffer aftermarket modifications based on a few recent threads I've read / discussions I've had.

It is very easy to point the finger at the map, but lets be clear here there are technical service bulletins on the web for cars suffering with weak valve springs, there have been identified issues with coil packs, cylinder heads (particularly on the Leon Cupra running the same unit as us), and dodgy PCV systems, so whilst a remap is an easy target (e.g. it may well accentuate an issue making it seem more prevalent), the fact it only happens on some cars rather than all suggests it can't just be a mapping issue.

Revo tend (in response to customer feedback) develop pretty aggressive maps, but these are extensively tested and Revo themselves run their own car which is raced by Tim Sugden over many miles on track, so if issues were going to show, it is very likely that they would see them on what is quite an abused car!

Once I get my RS4 fuel pressure regulator installed I will feed back as to whether my mild 'laziness' when accelerating from mid range (3k rpm) dissipates, but mine is certainly not a misfire, more a lull or lag sensation, and as it seems to get worse as ambient temps rise, I don't believe the map is at fault, I think it is the car compensating for what it thinks it can handle. I know of a guy on SEATCUPRA.net whose issues were resolved with the installation of the RS4 pressure reg, so if I get the same improvements I will post them up.

Appreciate we all pay a lot of money, and want things perfect, but would be interested to see a FULL list of modifications for EVERY car suffering issues, and then it may be easier to work out whether there are common themes relating to the issues.

Appreciate we all pay a lot of money, and want things perfect, but would be interested to see a FULL list of modifications for EVERY car suffering issues, and then it may be easier to work out whether there are common themes relating to the issues.

When 1st looking to find out about this I did see a few of the cupra chaps had it, didnt know one of them sorted the issue though.

I think I should of mentioned this at the start. I didnt think it was the map but like you said, it would highlight problems. I think these issues seem to be with post 08 cars.

Anyhow, like Warren said, if you are having the problems could you post what year car yours is and what modifications you have done.

Last edited:
Warren i agree with what you say, but my problem is actually the opposite, it is when I am just sitting holding a constant even low speed, so in reality really not drawing any fuel, or load, it is more important to see what the people who are having other issues with misfire to know what there settings are, as there are settings recommended, are they pushing it over the recommended etc.

Warren i agree with what you say, but my problem is actually the opposite, it is when I am just sitting holding a constant even low speed, so in reality really not drawing any fuel, or load, it is more important to see what the people who are having other issues with misfire to know what there settings are, as there are settings recommended, are they pushing it over the recommended etc.

Brett, you're issue sounds very strange - have you VAGCOM'd it?

Hmm, could I recommend then that all posts where you have inputted your spec list also include the Revo settings B/T/F (assuming you have hand controller), if not put REVO FACTORY PRESET, and a one liner outlining a clear description of the fault.

I know Revo will always be interested to hear this kind of feedback from customers, but if the info looks wildly inconclusive it makes it more difficult for us to approach them about fixing specific issues on each and every car as they won't want to develop 57 varieties of map for each and every car - how do they know which one will work on every car (esp. from the dealer perspective). I've used Revo for years and they have always responded very positively to customer feedback, and been very helpful, but we should ensure we have plenty of facts before approaching them, and make sure we have investigated all angles.

Last edited:
Audi S3 8P2 (MY 2007)

Mods: Revo Stage 2+, MV Sport TBE with 100 cell race cats, ITG Maxogen CAI, KMD pump internals, OEM rev. D DV, NGK Iridium BKR8EIX plugs, BSH catch can

Settings: B9 / T6 / F6

Issue: Slight laziness when accelerating from 3k revs in higher gears, especially noticeable power dip at 5k revs

Solutions under review: RS4 FPR / direct intake air ducting for ITG filter

Audi S3 8P3 SB (MY 2009)

Mods: Revo Stage 2+, APR pump, Forge CAI, Milltek TBE, OEM DV "D"

Settings: B8 / T5 / F6

Issue: Hiccup at most speeds

Solutions under review: Valve springs

especially noticeable power dip at 5k revs

Didnt realise you had the hiccup also.

Might not be the valve springs then as pre 08 where not effected by the TSB?

Do you think it might be something to do with the timing/fuel?

It's more of a plateau sensation than a hiccup, but it can be intermittent depending on what speed I am doing when I accelerate, and how I apply the accelerator pedal (fast logarithmic swipe or more measured swipe).

I've been trying to replicate it consistently for some time, but it's so hard to do. Sorting out my airflow issues seem to have reduced it somewhat, but until the car has adapted to the new air intakes its hard to say.

I've had one error code (intermittent) for tumble flaps in the inlet manifold, but other than that nothing.

It's more of a plateau sensation than a hiccup, but it can be intermittent depending on what speed I am doing when I accelerate, and how I apply the accelerator pedal (fast logarithmic swipe or more measured swipe).

I've been trying to replicate it consistently for some time, but it's so hard to do. Sorting out my airflow issues seem to have reduced it somewhat, but until the car has adapted to the new air intakes its hard to say.

I've had one error code (intermittent) for tumble flaps in the inlet manifold, but other than that nothing.

Have you had it on a RR? Might find it better to so sport them?

Since going stage 2+ I have only had one misfire at the top end. I had one during the test run while at boost 9. Its running 8 now and does not seem to be having the issue but im 99% sure lowering by 1 has not done anything as I was getting misfires with stage 1.

Well its back from Audi and its bad news...the hiccup is still there. It does feel slightly better while pulling up to the redline though. Not sure what else to do now...

Did audi say anything about the mods you have done to the car at all j ?

Did audi say anything about the mods you have done to the car at all j ?

Nope not a word apart from the young mechanic chappy who brought the car around asked how the Revo was going...I just smiled :p Must of guessed with the fuel pump/milltek/intake.

Audi service couldn't cure a human hiccup, let alone one on a car.
I can only imagine how frustrated R8 owners must get when people of such limited skills can't resolve basic issues.

Just hope you guys resolve these issues fairly painlessly! And get back to the fun they can give!!! I'll follow up s l o w l y !!! lol

Just hope you guys resolve these issues fairly painlessly! And get back to the fun they can give!!! I'll follow up s l o w l y !!! lol

Yeah I hope we can find out the problem, im sure we will get to the bottom of it.

Its doesnt take the fun away its just a bit irritating while on the motorway/dual.

Audi S3 8P2 (MY 2007)

Mods: Revo Stage 2+, MV Sport TBE with 100 cell race cats, ITG Maxogen CAI, KMD pump internals, OEM rev. D DV, NGK Iridium BKR8EIX plugs, BSH catch can

Settings: B9 / T6 / F6

Issue: Slight laziness when accelerating from 3k revs in higher gears, especially noticeable power dip at 5k revs

Solutions under review: RS4 FPR / direct intake air ducting for ITG filter

I'm getting the RS4 FPR, denso IK24 spark plugs, Rev D DV fitted this saturday and I already have a direct intake feed. Only thing I don't have is an uprated fuel pump which im getting fitted next month. I haven't suffered any of the symtoms mentioned but can let you know if I feel a difference.

Fitting isn't cheap as it's a b@stard to get too (so I'm told).

Spoke to soon; cylinder 3 has started misfiring continuously at all RPM's so I have a new problem to resolve. Idling very erratically, cylinder 3 misfiring about 20 times a minute, but wouldn't say car feel slow?????

About to go out and check plugs, but only other thing I have noted is when I back off the throttle I'm getting a very unusual noise from the exhaust when I come off the throttle (almost like excessive back pressure). Never a dull moment with these cars.

Spoke to soon; cylinder 3 has started misfiring continuously at all RPM's so I have a new problem to resolve. Idling very erratically, cylinder 3 misfiring about 20 times a minute, but wouldn't say car feel slow?????

About to go out and check plugs, but only other thing I have noted is when I back off the throttle I'm getting a very unusual noise from the exhaust when I come off the throttle (almost like excessive back pressure). Never a dull moment with these cars.

Fingers crossed.

I am getting the sme lul as warren is talking about, let me know how you get on with the RS4 regulator

Will do Matt!

Change the black text in your sig mate!!

Just an Update, as some of you know I had this mini stutter/hesitation, it is still there, and still bugging me a little, I took it back to the Revo Dealer, who came out and data logged, he felt the hesitation after a while, (it is not that constant) and agreed there is something there, but alas as expected the data logger did not pick anything up, not a bleep, there was and still is no fault codes, We removed the Revo software, (my god you really notice it once you have had it and it has gone) and eventually I noticed it just a very slight hesitation, really minor not as often, but it is there, the Revo guy did not notice it, but I am convinced it was there, clearly the Revo software makes it a lot more prominent.1

So I am happy that is it not Revo related, fair dues to the Revo Guy/Garage they were quiet happy to spend time to try and get to the bottom of it.

I have had the software turned back on, and the hesitation again more prominent.

My problem is, as the Revo guy agrees. I am stuffed :( if I took it to Audi with the software off they would laugh at me, and would do or prob could not do nothing about it, If I leave the software on and take it to them, well they would know straight away by driving it, again they would laugh, and probably say warranty void now for ever :(,,,,,,,,, or leave software off prema and not really notice it (not an option now, after driving car with software activated :( )

Let it get worse (if it does) and then remove software and take it to Audi, may never get worse, in fact sometimes it feels it is better.

Some what frustrating to say the least.

The hesitation seems to be at most rev ranges over like 2k revs, really is a very very slight bleep, and seems only at holding a constant speed for a period of time then you get a very very slight engine hesitation, then it might not happen for a while again, I cannot replicate it at all continuously.

Audi S3 8P (Jan '07)

Mods: Revo Stage 1 only.

Settings: Unknown - take it as standard.

Issue: Slight hesitation when accelerating from 3k revs in higher gears. Recreated 3/10 attempts when cruising at 50mph and then dropping to 4th gear to accelerate. Sometimes happens in 5th around the 4-5k revs mark. Feels like the boost is momentarily lost and the speedo jumps a bit and drops back to normal.

The revo dealer checked it out and could not recreate nor see any errors in vagcom. Does not happen in stock mode.

Not sure what steps to take to investigate further.

Put in some brand new plugs this weekend, and they are not the colder 7's, they are the BKR6EIX NGK Iridiums.

Cleared fault codes on car, did a throttle body alignment with VAGCOM.

Set Revo settings to Boost 8, Timing 5, Fuelling 7

Took the car on a 120 miles round trip.

Any hesitation seems to have completely vanished.

RS4 regulator still not fitted :think::uhm:

I will do some logs later on, but even the wife (who hates going fast) said "At least now it feels like you can drive and it's not surging and hanging back when you accelerate!!"

I think that is what makes it so bad for passengers, the sensation of acceleration is on/off causing them to move in their seat.

Considering the ambient air temps in Cirencester yesterday were 25 degrees celsius (+), I wasn't expecting good performance, but to be honest its the best and most consistent the car has felt for some time, and within a whisker of the performance of boost 9 (as it's not now compensating / backing off).

Still intend to get regulator fitted, and maybe even WMI in July, but will see if this is a flash in the pan after a good clear out of the ECU, or whether it continues!

Audi S3 8P (Jan '10)

Mods: Revo Stage 1 only.

Settings: Boost 6, Fuel 9, Timing 5

Issue: Slight hesitation when accelerating from 3k revs in higher gears. Does it every now and again worst when under slight load (i.e. cruising on motorway at c.75mph)

Not spoken to REVO or AMD yet but suspect similar issues to above.

hey...on friday i also changed spark plugs to denso iridium ik24's and all problems seem to go away. will see how long will it be ok.

hey...on friday i also changed spark plugs to denso iridium ik24's and all problems seem to go away. will see how long will it be ok.

Hi S, What was the problem you were having, misfire?