Chris NottEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reverse Gear

Status

Which Remap for 8P S3 ?

Current shortlist for me is Revo due to good reviews and MRC, due to my past experience on my previous cars.

Anyone have any experiences with the above on the S3?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Probably worth having a look through this forum as there are lots of threads on this.

I went for Revo on mine,from recommendations here,and through AMD,who did the remap and other work.

I was pleased not only with the results(which I am sure others such as GIAC can match),but also the excellent aftersales backup,and for that alone I'd recommend Revo.

Neutral

Status
    REVO FTW!
    09 Ibis White Audi S3| REVO STAGE 2+ | Autotech HPFP | Custom DP | Forge CAI | H&R Springs |
    EX 08 Phantom Black Audi S3 | REVO STAGE 2+ | Autotech HPFP | Custom DP | Forge CAI | Black Optics | Lamin-X

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Revo for me. Fantastic product

It was the adjustability with the SPS Plus that swayed me towards REVO. Also consider APR and Giac.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

5th Gear

Status
    Golfather - another S3 in the SL postcode.........

I am getting Revo stage 1 this weekend and I have a MT TBE fitted so far. Just saving for the ITG to go to stage 2. More than welcome to trundle up from Slaaaaaa and have blast in mine when its done?
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Shark Performance for the win! 320bhp, 330ft-lb for Ł450 if you go through me!

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Interior Next!!

Status
    REVO ADL!!!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

Boycie

Status
    Revo!

S3 (8P)

Status
    R E V O
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

1st Gear

Status
    MTM
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz1 View Post
    MTM
    .... with the mother of all induction kits

talking oh which i need to get mine mapped haha

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    .... with the mother of all induction kits

talking oh which i need to get mine mapped haha
    Haha, yes with the biggest baddest induction kit of them all lol. I thought i would get slated for uttering the words 'mtm' that's why the hiding behind the sofa haha. Which map you thinking of going?

Ps Im thinking of doing a longer recording of in the cabin with a broader speed range (part 2 lol), just to show you how these revs climb, never seen an S3 this fierce before, barr the turbo conversion ones.
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

3rd Gear

Status
    All this remapping is a nightmare, so many options, so many different opinions, shame no one (Mag, has actually tested all the different Companies out with the same vehicle to give an indication what you get for your money, best value etc.

I recently had a Revo stage one update,
    My 2 main concerns for doing it for me:-
    My fuel comsumption has gone up.
    Better pull low down revs, 5/6thin being DSG

and it has made a good improvement on those 2 items
    It certainly makes a different over the whole of the rev range especially once you hit the boost pulling hard all the way to the top end in 6th as well.

The Revo dealer I used was very good also, explaining what he know, let me watched him carrying out the upgrade etc.

BUT
    Since I had it done, a problem has occurred, I am fairly certain since the Revo update, when we did it the first time he set the boost one up from recommended, said should be no problem etc. and since it was done, every now again when just cruising along at around 3 k revs in 6th, between 70/80 MPH, i.e. just holding that speed the engine just misses a beat, I am sure it is not a misfire, hard to explain, you can just feel it when just sitting on the throttle, like the boost drops off and straight back on, it is very very quick just once every now again, again like in the old days the A/C kicks in and sucks a little engine power all of a sudden, I have tried it with out the AC on, (well as best as not really knowing if it is never off all the time).
    I spoke to the Revo Dealer, and since been back to drop the boost to the recommended setting, (6, was 7), no fault codes either, and although it seems to do it even less now, it is still doing it every now again.

Ideas anyone?
    I also tried it with the Cruise Control, (not since boost turned down) but before although I do think when in Cruise control it may have done it a little less, it still did do it.

My next option is to remove the Revo update back to factory and test it again, but somehow I know it will not do it as I did over 1k miles in it before and would have noticed this problem pretty quick as I did after the Revo update.
    I am a little fed up of messing around, I am somewhat frustrated, because performance improvement aside it helps with my main 2 issues better low down pull and most of all a defiant fuel consumption improvement, that alone warrents all people to update the ECU.

Boycie

Status
    Of course your fuel has gone up as you are loving the extra boost!!! Once you get used to it you will see that you are getting better or the same miles per tank as you did pre-map!

Also, you can change the fuel settings on your map if you have the SPS switch

6th Gear

Status
    Haha, yes with the biggest baddest induction kit of them all lol. I thought i would get slated for uttering the words 'mtm' that's why the hiding behind the sofa haha. Which map you thinking of going?

Ps Im thinking of doing a longer recording of in the cabin with a broader speed range (part 2 lol), just to show you how these revs climb, never seen an S3 this fierce before, barr the turbo conversion ones.
    was thinking of trying shark as their claimed figures are very impressive!! and as much as i love the power and the way it pulls atm, i just want some more!!
    oh and more vids are always good :D

5th Gear

Status
    Brett - I had the same issue on my S4 - I know its not turbo charged, but it did exactly the same thing. Going along in lowish revs at a reasonable speed and about 1800rpm it would just hesitate and feel almost like a misfire.

It only ever once showed up on VAGCOM and it was either a coil pack on its way out, or the fuel rail. (But I don't remember which!)
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

Interior Next!!

Status
    brett ive experienced the exact same thing with mine, im not going to lie i even considered it being a bump in the road which made my foor come off the power slightly for a split second but then it happened again.. revo is wicked but i still feel they have a couple of teething issues... i.e misfire in 2nd,3rd above 6250k and this 70-80mph flatspot.... apart from that is perfect...
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

3rd Gear

Status
    I am glad some others have experienced it, and the foot and bump had crossed my mind, hence trying it with cruise control, So I take it you all just live with it, I agree it is only every now and again, just makes me jump. not had any other issues ie mis fire, BIG ? is do other remaps have a similar probs?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Butler View Post
    I am glad some others have experienced it, and the foot and bump had crossed my mind, hence trying it with cruise control, So I take it you all just live with it, I agree it is only every now and again, just makes me jump. not had any other issues ie mis fire, BIG ? is do other remaps have a similar probs?
    I haven't felt any one these symptoms, might be down to the map. Never had any misfire type of feelings in any rev range as far as I can remember.

1st Gear

Status
    REVO all the way!!!
    2008 Audi S3
    REVO Stage 1

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Revo lock ur ecu so only they can take of the map = fail
    revo maps aren't actually switchable = fail

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

S3 ~ MTM 330BHP ~ Milltek TBE

Status
    I thought i would get slated for uttering the words 'mtm' that's why the hiding behind the sofa haha.
    Ha-haa!!! Quite, but seconded ... MTM!!!
    ~ The Maestro ~

• S3 MTM (Current)
    • A4 Avant S-Line 3.0L TDI
    • A4 Avant S-Line 2.0L TDI

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Shark Performance for the win! 320bhp, 330ft-lb for Ł450 if you go through me!
    N8
    just on the shark performance site and by the looks of it they have dropped their prices since u last spoke to them down to Ł450.... you reckon youll be able to get a bit more of a discount ?
    paolo
    Last edited by jungleman; 5th May 2010 at 17:34.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Revo lock ur ecu so only they can take of the map = fail
    Not true mate.

A basic dealer reflash removes the REVO code. I know, its happened to me, twice

I trip to the local REVO agent is required to have the software reinstalled.

Which is part of the appeal as REVO have dealers pretty much all over the UK.

cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status
    Since I had it done, a problem has occurred, I am fairly certain since the Revo update, when we did it the first time he set the boost one up from recommended, said should be no problem etc. and since it was done, every now again when just cruising along at around 3 k revs in 6th, between 70/80 MPH, i.e. just holding that speed the engine just misses a beat, I am sure it is not a misfire, hard to explain, you can just feel it when just sitting on the throttle, like the boost drops off and straight back on, it is very very quick just once every now again, again like in the old days the A/C kicks in and sucks a little engine power all of a sudden, I have tried it with out the AC on, (well as best as not really knowing if it is never off all the time).
    I spoke to the Revo Dealer, and since been back to drop the boost to the recommended setting, (6, was 7), no fault codes either, and although it seems to do it even less now, it is still doing it every now again.
    I have the same problem, im going stage 2+ tomorrow so will let you know if milltek/cai sort it out.

What year is yours by the way? Do you get larger misfires above 6.5K in 3rd?
    S3 Sportback - Ibis White
    Factory: Privacy Glass, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Ipod Dock
    Modifications: Revo Stage 2+, Forge CAI, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE - H&R ARB's & Springs - TV Tuner, Reverse Camera

Wanted: Stock S3 facelift alloys

1st Gear

Status
    i ve only ever had stage 1 on my last 4 cars but CUSTOM CODE is great imo
    S3 , CUSTOM CODE , NON RES MILLTEK , FORGE DV , 19" BBS CK (ANTHRACITE) , GREEN COTTON FILTER , ECS DOGBONE INSERT + EVERY AUDI OPTION

1st Gear

Status
    read through and vag forums about problems after remap amd the letters " O E V R " normally crop up
    S3 , CUSTOM CODE , NON RES MILLTEK , FORGE DV , 19" BBS CK (ANTHRACITE) , GREEN COTTON FILTER , ECS DOGBONE INSERT + EVERY AUDI OPTION

1st Gear

Status
    I've heard that although you can remove all re-maps back to stock ( in case you had some sort of engine warranty claim ) there is some sort of counter that gets incremented every time, so although the map would show as stock, Audi could tell that it had been changed at some point.

GIAC, however, claim that they way theirs works differently, and this counter is not incremented, so you can re-set the map back to stock and Audi can't tell.

Anyone else heard this, and can verify if it's true ?
    2010 S3 Sportback, MY11, S-tronic, Sprint Blue - gone
    2010 A3 TDi 170 quattro, Black Edition, Phantom Black

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gingers3 View Post
    read through and vag forums about problems after remap amd the letters " O E V R " normally crop up
    .....and Custom Code, Superchips, APR, GIAC, Celtic Tuning etc etc.......Ive been on Tyresmoke, UKMKIVs, ClubGti, VAGOC and ASN over the years and there are various incidences of VAG cars sufferering post remap issues.

Knackered DMFs, clutches, DVs, even Turbos (mainly dervs) are well documented on Stage 1 cars.

What I havent seen or read, is any evidence that REVO or any other well known product, is responsible for more failures and/or running issues than the next.

If your car has a weak link, a remap will sniff it out. (Ive been unfortunate to find out in the past).

Ive had 2 REVO maps with great experience, that doesnt mean Im some kind of fanboy and wouldnt wouldnt consider other products, its just that its very hard to think of a reason to try others when the product and aftersales has proven to be such a high standard.

My advice to the OP would be do your home work and speak/PM those who know.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by PaulAr; 6th May 2010 at 08:40.
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys
    But I think I'll stick with MRC.
    Spoke with Mihnea personally and he assures me he has never had a problem with his in house written maps, plus he'll stick it on the rollers beforehand to see what the real gains are.
    He did a great job on my RS6 so I can pretty much trust him with my measly 4 pot !

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by waring192 View Post
    I have the same problem, im going stage 2+ tomorrow so will let you know if milltek/cai sort it out.

What year is yours by the way? Do you get larger misfires above 6.5K in 3rd?
    Mine is a 2010, about 5 weeks old now, 2k miles all ready, had the remap a week half now.

No I have found no other issues, though tbh not really given it loads of stick just a few times, but seems to Red line no problems in all gears, (well not 6th )

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Which Remap for 8P S3 ?

maybe worth givijg revo HQ a call? i know the little dip your talking about, its a bit or a pain.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    S3 Sportback - Ibis White
    Factory: Privacy Glass, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Ipod Dock
    Modifications: Revo Stage 2+, Forge CAI, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE - H&R ARB's & Springs - TV Tuner, Reverse Camera

Wanted: Stock S3 facelift alloys

1st Gear

Status
    Go Revo stage 2+

You dont get the hiccup then!!!!

Gaz
    Black 996 C4S
    B6 S4

Black S3 Revo 2+ sold
    All options + Miltek TBE, Revo 2+, HPFP, RNS E, Bose, Alpine Ipod interface, TTRS Brakes

For sale unfitted Forge catch can kit, open to offers?
    also standard S3 factory exhaust?

1st Gear

Status
    MTM............
    S3 SOLD
    Phantom Black S3 . MTM Stage 2 , Buckets , H&R , Milltek ......every Audi option.....................

1st Gear

Status
    the bott. U have a PM
    Your only as old as you feel!
    2005. A3 sportback.2.0 T FSI Quattro Sport.
    Sat. nav. Alacantra. Etc.
    Was. MY10 S3. White
    Was. MY10 S3. Sprint Blue DSG
    Now. MY13 A4. 3 litre TDI. BE. DSG. Brill red.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Anybody tried a DMS remap on the 8p S3?

They're highly regarded on BMW/Porsche and also the twin turbo model RS4/RS6.

Would be interested in any feedback on them as it is something I am considering.

Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    .....and Custom Code, Superchips, APR, GIAC, Celtic Tuning etc etc.......Ive been on Tyresmoke, UKMKIVs, ClubGti, VAGOC and ASN over the years and there are various incidences of VAG cars sufferering post remap issues.

Knackered DMFs, clutches, DVs, even Turbos (mainly dervs) are well documented on Stage 1 cars.

What I havent seen or read, is any evidence that REVO or any other well known product, is responsible for more failures and/or running issues than the next.

If your car has a weak link, a remap will sniff it out. (Ive been unfortunate to find out in the past).

Ive had 2 REVO maps with great experience, that doesnt mean Im some kind of fanboy and wouldnt wouldnt consider other products, its just that its very hard to think of a reason to try others when the product and aftersales has proven to be such a high standard.

My advice to the OP would be do your home work and speak/PM those who know.

Cheers
    Paul
    i had the revo trial , that made my mind up !!!! CUSTOM CODE

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alexoc View Post
    Anybody tried a DMS remap on the 8p S3?

They're highly regarded on BMW/Porsche and also the twin turbo model RS4/RS6.

Would be interested in any feedback on them as it is something I am considering.

Thanks
    How much?

IMO Ł500-600 is about the ceiling for a Stage 1 remap. There are lots of reputable companies out there that can provide a product and service in that price range.
    I would find it very hard to justify and more than that.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    How much?

IMO Ł500-600 is about the ceiling for a Stage 1 remap. There are lots of reputable companies out there that can provide a product and service in that price range.
    I would find it very hard to justify and more than that.

Cheers
    Paul
    I'm not sure Paul as it doesn't list prices on the website but i'd say your pretty close at Ł500-600

Just surprised that more people havn't used them for the 8P S3 seen as they seem to have such a good reputation?

Never used them myself so have no personal opinoin...just looking for a bit of feedback, maybe I should start a seperate thread?

Thanks for your reply,

Alex

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gingers3 View Post
    i had the revo trial , that made my mind up !!!! CUSTOM CODE
    Not a good experience then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast