Aircon problems

Cyrix

Reaction score
Got a problem with my A3 at the moment

Aircon doesnt work, it just blows air at ambient temperature.

When Aircon is called for the rad fans do not operate, I have removed the fans and bench tested them, they run fine.

No fuses are blown, the compressor doesnt seem to do anything, is there any relay for this? or is it likely that my compressor is gone?

I had the system regassed by kwik-fit, no charge for the service as they could not improve the temperature!

Any ideas?

I just had mine done at Tyneside Audi around a week ago and I think Im having a similar issue. Does yours blow cool air if you use the 'LO' setting? mine does. It just doesn't work when using low temp settings like 16/17 C. It worked immediately after the air con service but seems to have stopped. I'll be calling Audi soon.

Im thinking mine must be the climate control as opposed to the compressor, your sounds like it maybe the actual air con system as opposed the thermostat etc... Let me know how you get on.

Mines out of warranty so I shall have to sort this off my own back.

I assumed that the system just needed regassing and put it off until I had replaced the radiator, turns out you dont really need to disconnect the aircon rad to do the radiator anyway!

I do get cold air on the LO setting, but only in econ mode, when AC is selected it turns warm.

I suspect it's the compressor in all honesty but at £350 a unit new I would rather it wasnt, on the plus side It looks fairly easy to change once the alternator is removed for access.

Have you had the car checked by a diagnostic lead for any faults?

Ebay could be a cheaper option for 2nd hand units if it turns out to be the compressor.

what year of car is it? Audi did things kinda silly on the early models - ie, if the eco button is lit then the aircon is off. On the facelift models the eco button has been replaced with aircon button that lights up when the aircon is on.

Its a late 2004 car, I did look at used compressors, might be worth a go, I hate having to do the same job twice though!