Sky InsuranceEM Tuning

Thread: Bike Rack

Too Much Hype

Status

Bike Rack

Im considering getting a new push bike for the summer.

Im playing with the idea of getting a bike rack for my 10 plate, A3, Sports Line, BE. I would want something that could be easily attached and removed.

What options are there and any pics?
    Last edited by deano670; 4th May 2010 at 09:31.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lacks Car Funds...

Status

Bike Rack

I used to have a detatchable tow hitch and tow ball mounted bike rack when I had my 2007 Suzuki swift, worked really well but by no means the cheapest option, I splashed out about 300 for the towbar and a further 200 for the rack.
    It's the most reliable option, I took mine to the alps last summer with 2 downhill bikes on, quite happily do a ton and not worry about the bikes on the back.
    However since getting the a3 I no longer have to use my car to transport my bikes, I've got use of a van instead...
    2005 A3 S-Line 2.0 TDI 140 DSG

Factory: Full Black Leather - BOSE- Lights Pack - Winter Pack - Arm Rest
    Mods: iTray - Black Optics Grill - UK Pressed Plates - Bluefin - Cruise Control - Lamin-X - Rear Aero Wiper - S-Line Spoiler - Black Diamond Brake Pads - Wheels Refurbed, Gunmetal Grey - Eibach Sportline Springs
    To Do: Wheel Spacers
    Dreaming Of: RNS-E - Bluetooth - FBMFSW - S3 Rear End - MY11 Rear Lights - Big Brake Kit

Too Much Hype

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by circleswim View Post
    I used to have a detatchable tow hitch and tow ball mounted bike rack when I had my 2007 Suzuki swift, worked really well but by no means the cheapest option, I splashed out about 300 for the towbar and a further 200 for the rack.
    It's the most reliable option, I took mine to the alps last summer with 2 downhill bikes on, quite happily do a ton and not worry about the bikes on the back.
    However since getting the a3 I no longer have to use my car to transport my bikes, I've got use of a van instead...
    I don't really want to install a tow-bar - i want something that doesn't spoil the aesthetics of the car.

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    I'm doing the same and I've found the following out...

There three main types you can get:
    - Roof Mount Cycle Carrier (bike straps to the roof, but for this you need roof rails)
    - Low Mount Rear Carrier (the more common, bikes strap to the boot of the car but you need a rear strip with your numberplate showing as the bikes will cover your original rear plate)
    - High Mount Rear Carrier (same as above but no need for extra numberplate as bikes are carried higher thus they dont cover your plate)

I'm going for the High Mount Rear Carrier, as it will no doubt be the cheapest option.

Fitting wise seem to be fine, simple straps that go through the boot opening and loops round. Most kits are universal.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

5th Gear

Status
    I went for a bike bag to put the bike in and then put the back seats down. Any kind of external rack that touches the paint will scratch it. This is where a Sportback with roof rails would come in handy as you wouldn't have to worry about anything touching the paint.

Plus putting the bike in a bag means all the crap and oil is contained so it doesn't ruin my interior!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Too Much Hype

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I went for a bike bag to put the bike in and then put the back seats down. Any kind of external rack that touches the paint will scratch it. This is where a Sportback with roof rails would come in handy as you wouldn't have to worry about anything touching the paint.

Plus putting the bike in a bag means all the crap and oil is contained so it doesn't ruin my interior!

Im not sure that 2 bikes would fit in the back of a 3 door A3

1st Gear

Status
    Yep they do, I've done it a few times.

I shouldnt have to for much longer though hopefully as I've managed to pick up a removeable towbar from ebay so will be fitting that when I get a chance then will use a towball mounted rack.
    Sorted.

5th Gear

Status
    You can fit 2 in, one on top of the other. Its not ideal though.

I didn't realise you were wanting to take 2 bikes. I usually make the other person take their own car to be honest or put my bike on their bike rack if they have one
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Neutral

Status
    I have one for sale- Avenir Vermont bicycle rack which I have had on my SB. 50 quid. PM me if interested.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...t-fit-ec007579

Oh forgot to mention - you can fit it in such a way that you can open the boot lid without taking the rack off or undoing any of the straps :-)
    Last edited by S3Sport_Guy; 4th May 2010 at 12:49.

1st Gear

Status
    I have got roof bars and cycle holder for my A3. PM me if you wana take them off my hands for a fair price? they have the fittings to fit both 3 and 5 door versions.
    Brilliant Black A3 2.0T S-line Quattro Special Edition. S3 front brakes, Turbo back Milltek including race cat, APR Intercooler, Evoms air intake, AMD Stage 2 map, Upgraded OEM DV, Sachs Race Clutch, SMF conversion, Forge short shifters, S3 wing mirrors, S3 Rear end, Interior LED conversion, Bi-Xenon's, LED DRL's, BBS CH's, MY 09 Rear lights, Full leather, Tinted rear windows, Custom black front grills.

Too Much Hype

Status
    thanks S3Sport_Guy and chrissy1502002 - im possibly interested in one of these.

chrissy1502002 what colour are the roof bars? are they easy to fit?

We are off tonight to pick up the mrs's a new bike. I might pick one up later in the month.

Too Much Hype

Status
    would the Avenir Vermont Car Rack mark the car at all?

Too Much Hype

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Saris bones are very good racks, but they use hooks that clip to the top and bottom of the tailgate, as well as the sizes, so don't expect no paint damage. Also if you are buying a full suspension bike, forget it.

Seriously just get a detachable towbar like the westfalia one and a pendle rack, I used one on my golf for years and have just installed a detachable towbar on my A3, once removed you cannot see anything.

The rack has been everywhere, it will be going to Innerleithen Downhill this weekend with an Orange 223, Specialized Demo 9 and my Sx Trail, probably 6 grands worth if not more, that's how much confidence I have in the setup.

Too Much Hype

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    Saris bones are very good racks, but they use hooks that clip to the top and bottom of the tailgate, as well as the sizes, so don't expect no paint damage.

Sorry.. do you mean that there will be paint damage or that there will be no paint damage.

Defiantly want to stay away from anything that could potentiality mark the car.

1st Gear

Status
    The saris bones has metal clips that hook around the car bodywork, which the rack is a good idea it WILL mark the paintwork, also on the A3 I would be a bit wary about hooking it directly onto the glass of the tailgate at the sides, in other words either put the bike on a towbar or put them inside the car, in all honesty before I fitted the towbar I just used to wrap the bikes in a sheet with the wheels off and put them in the boot.

1st Gear

Status
    Cyrix, have you got any pictures showing how your rack fits to the towbar?
    TIA

Too Much Hype

Status
    If two bikes will fit in the back im inclined to get the bags and stick them in.

Less fuss, less hassle and no marks 'as long as im careful'.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Cyrix, have you got any pictures showing how your rack fits to the towbar?
    TIA
    I will take one later of the A3 matey, you basically get a bracket that bolts to the towball, once it's fitted it's rock solid, I will take a photo for you though. I wouldn't risk it if I didn't know it was safe, due to the value of the gear i carry.

Neutral

Status
    Hi,

The rack has rubber pads on all the contact points with the car - I would recommend putting a cloth between the pads and the paintwork just for added piece of mind. Contrary to Cyrix's comments - there are four direct contact points - two pads that will rest on the glass boot and two points that rest on the metal lip of the tailgate directly below the number plate, due to the angle of the boot glass on the S3 those two resting points are not supporting the full load, the same can not be said about my old car set-up:

If you are worried about spreading load on the window, just adjust straps so that the contact points are further near the edge of the window. With this carrier you dont have to worry about obscuring the number plate and rear lights. I obviously have a biased view on this as I dont need it now as the SB takes the whole bike with the back seats down but I have tried it on the SB when I did not want to get mud in the car. All I would say is that initially it is a pig to set-up first time - what with getting the straps the correct length, but I have already gone through that process for you:-)

Oh, as with the z, you wont be able to use your rear wiper when the rack is fitted:-)
    Last edited by S3Sport_Guy; 4th May 2010 at 17:37.