Heat wrap on down pipe?

BOSSS3

Reaction score
Looking at putting on a 76mm down pipe de-cat on my car, was wondering if there is any benefit of heat wrapping it?

Searching the net and there are many different opinions on whether to do it or not.

Has anyone tried it on an S3?

No.

Noot sure if it would stop the turbo from disappating heat effectively, and whether that in turn could affect reliability. Agriemach sell turbo jackets, heat wrap for exhausts, batteries and all sorts. Seem to work very well on NA cars, but have never seen any conclusive evidence supporting it on blown motors (which is strange as they need it more than the rest).

simple answer is no mate, the usual procedure is to wrap the cold components with reflective to reduce radiant heat passing in, dont know about reliablilty

No.

Noot sure if it would stop the turbo from disappating heat effectively, and whether that in turn could affect reliability. Agriemach sell turbo jackets, heat wrap for exhausts, batteries and all sorts. Seem to work very well on NA cars, but have never seen any conclusive evidence supporting it on blown motors (which is strange as they need it more than the rest).

Thanks warren thats what i thought:think:
From what i've been reading the theory is the hotter the downpipe the the more the air particles expand due to the heat and therefore exit faster which makes the turbo spool easier.

But was just interested to know if anyone has tried it.