tyres on 3.2?

StephaneS

Reaction score
As subject what tyres are you runing on the beast?
I have Dunlop SP9000 on mine but find them poor on wet surface
Steph

do you find your car understeering with these?
mine look likes forward drive in the wet!

Why do some come with Dunlops others with Pzeros and Michelins? I've always assumed that Dunlop were the tyre supplier for Audi, and every new car came with them fitted.

Just for comparison, my TDI comes with Dunlop SP9090.

Karci,
what is the difference between SP 9000 and SP 9090?
do you find yours is understeering?
I know yours is FWD and TDI but still I wonder if it is the tyres or just the chassis setup?

I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be. I find them a bit lacking in grip - they have a wear rating of 280, which I believe is quite high for a performance tyre.

Trouble is, unless I test the car with another set, it's hard to judge with it is any better or worse than another make.

Here's a discussion about the SP9000 on another forum:

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=32628

And a link to some test info on a selection of tyres, including the SP9090:

http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/tyres/tyres.htm

thanks Karci!
looks like the SP9000 i not that well thought of despite good tests results
Eagle F1, dunlops SP9090 and SP8000 look great though
still undecided /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I suspect the SP9090s are a good compromise between grip and wear. I guess my fronts will last until about 20,000, if I didn't swopped them with the rears. They should last me to about 30,000 with a couple of swops. I just need to be more sensible with the throttle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Karcsi said:
Why do some come with Dunlops others with Pzeros and Michelins? I've always assumed that Dunlop were the tyre supplier for Audi, and every new car came with them fitted.

Just for comparison, my TDI comes with Dunlop SP9090.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine's no 3.2 (2.0 TDi), but mines fitted with Conti-Sports... good tyres with serious grip, wet or dry... they even stop the back end of a porsche from flying out! And they were fitted as standard by Audi... but I have a friend with a Seat GTi with Yokahama tyres (I think?) which are supposed to be excellent in the wet weather... I can find out what they are if you like?

[ QUOTE ]
BravePilot said:

Mine's no 3.2 (2.0 TDi), but mines fitted with Conti-Sports... good tyres with serious grip, wet or dry... they even stop the back end of a porsche from flying out! And they were fitted as standard by Audi... but I have a friend with a Seat GTi with Yokahama tyres (I think?) which are supposed to be excellent in the wet weather... I can find out what they are if you like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah why not. Thanks

He has the Toyo Proxes T1-S. They are soon to be superseded by T1-R (which don’t have quite as cool a tread).

But apparently the ultimate tyres are Goodyear F1 GSD3's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif