My opinion since getting an S3

manufc4eva

Reaction score
Firstly anything in this is just my opinion and experience up to now. I have now owned my S3 for 3 months and believe I have had long enough to get used to it.

So basically a while back I made a post asking for your opinions on changing from my BMW 135i to the Audi S3. I posted on both audisport and babybmw mainly getting one sided views from both as expected with some sensible opinions too. Being an all round car fan if I like a car then I like it I don't have a favourite except the veyron but I can dream. So when I changed my car the usual question was "Bit of a come down aint it?" Yes this was from people who know zero about cars which was annoying at first but soon passed, although I could understad the status symbol of the 135i.

To me the 135i is an excellent motorway cruiser which you can have fun with in the bends. The S3 is more of a sprint car but for all conditions. It was wierd at first because I was naturally trying to compensate for any possible back end action. However now that I'm used to the S3 I believe handling to be good but with some understeer. This could be due to tyres, Bridgestones which although they were runflats on the BMW I think their pretty rubbish on either car.

The engine in the 135i is superb with loads of potential however you do get some poor throttle response at times sometimes perceived as lag. The engine note of the 3litre twin turbo is very nice but I do also enjoy the whooosh noises of the S3. The 135i lacks an LSD which should come with better tyres because it can't handle the power in even slightly damp conditions. The S3 should come with better brakes especially considering the power. The six pots of the 135i were awesome and two or three times people commented on them in the middle of traffic. The reason I bought the S3 though is the potential it holds. Once remapped with new brakes and suspension it will be an animal I believe. Interior wise I also find the S3 to be slighty ahead.

I bought the 135i brand new because I just wanted it. Won't buy a new car again unless rich. Also I believe every car should have xenons and cruise control. So did I make the right choice? Yes. If you do a lot of motorway miles or can enjoy the rear wheel drive more then by all means choose that one. If like me you want to get places and push the limits then the S3 all the way especially in wet wet UK. As a further point I also think the aftermarket section is much more well supported for S3. I know its been out for longer but still the 135i has been out nearly 3 years now. As a last note I'm 23 and I think we get completely ripped of for driving nice cars in this country!! Any questions please feel free to ask. Thank you for reading.

NOW I WANT TO MODIFY WHEN MONEY PERMITS!!!! :banghead:

A good balanced review, both cars are superb in there own right, the S3 takes the edge as you have said due to all weather ability, get the mods done and enjoy the cars potential.

should have brought a 3.2 mate...all the fun of an s3 without the appalling throttle response and stupid price.

the last line says it all...now i want to modify it...

Yup, good write up and as said both cars are good in their own rights! But as the UK is soo wet then you have defo made the right choice. Paddy is right, but hey, we are biased lol, the 3.2 is ace!

Good luck with your car and getting the mods done! Sure you wont stop at the few you have mentioned lol, the guys on here are good for suggesting more lol and spending your money.....

Good honest review, tis a rare thing.
I only just recently got an S3, DSG, Black Ed (had just over a month) and the other car that was in the picture was a 135i, but in the end I choose an S3, mainly for the added safety of 4wd. My last car was a RX8 231 so rear wheel drive all though great fun I missed the low to mid range punch that Turbos bring.
The 2 main reasons for a change, one, horrendos fuel consumption, the other that the fact the rotary was gonna break eventually (Sooner than I was hoping).
My first impressions with an S3 3-Door, The Light, the visibility all around so much better just gives a feel of easier to drive, safer. Although I ran the car in, you quite clearly know it is astonishingly fast, but being an DSG it drags its feet under 2k, and just about keeps up with traffic. I love the understated look as well, it is small, it feels small driving, and in parking.
The 2nd most noticably thing is the drive, it is very very sure footed, you point it at any speed it just goes in that direction, I have not really pushed it yet in prolonged cornering that much, but I know how it feels, flat, fast and safe. The Ride Firmness is border line, I can cope with it fine on the rough roads we have at the moment, but certainly would not want it any harder.
It did not take me long to used to playing with the DSG, in general driving it is faultless, starting from a stop position, sure a slight delay, but as others say you get used to it, and can preamp any movements. There is some clunky-ness as it changes down at low speeds occasionally, where it can get caught between what gear to change into mostly 1st and 2nd, again rare and does not bother me. Autos/DSG is the way to go, less fuel, faster and fun, but when you are feeling lazy in heavy traffic, very relaxing, and lazy car to drive, I love that feeling that it is very sedate, and get it over 2k all hell lets loose.
The drive ability of the car, build quality is fantastic, you get a lot of car for your money, but I think Audi have a little way to go to get the little things right, to make it an all round package, Cost of extras do not help, Audis selection of pre ordered cars are even worse, and the little things like no boot release, IPOD option, no Lumber support on the manual seats, just small things that do all add up, even the latest Sat Nav is still way behind, No speed camera data base ability input, no HHD, no full post code search, no touch screen, though great for some things like the blue tooth, stereo, GPS that works, etc.
I have spent a few k on after Audi options added, that is a good thing you can add the extras after in most cases lets you build the car up over time, pretty well got it to where I want now.
I have had Revo stage one installed, after some hesitations, but most people on here put my mind to rest in the general overview of basic remapping, again very pleased, it has changed the car somewhat, given me what I was a just little disappointed in, better pulling at low speeds in all gears under 2k, better fuel consumption for general day to day driving, and again better pull when you pushing it, it really does pull like a train in 6th for just over 2k, but could do with a 7th gear for motorway cruising to save those few extra mpg.

So overall I am very pleased I know it will make me smile everyday in all aspects of driving for a long time, It has bought back my will to want to actually go out and drive again for no reason at all, and I have only just unscrewed the cap, I look forward to many years in my S3, ( I tend to keep cars a while). The only one last thing it needs to prove for me now is reliability, and for that time will tell. :)

Bret
sorry mate but it has 7 gears.....................lol

Brett, if the boot release is annoying you, take it back to audi (or anyone with vag com) and they can change the settings so the boot unlocks the same time as the doors. Should be like that from factory if you ask me!

should have brought a 3.2 mate...all the fun of an s3 without the appalling throttle response and stupid price.

the last line says it all...now i want to modify it...

If you want a slower, older, thirstier, less pretty version of an S3 then the 3.2 is perfect! :icon_thumright:

cheers
Paul

thats a good honest review/comparison

If you want a slower, older, thirstier, less pretty version of an S3 then the 3.2 is perfect! :icon_thumright:

ouch !

I took someone out in my S3 the other week, and the next day they went and mapped their R32.

The V6 sounds fantastic, but I think the 2.0T lump offers better bang per buck with respect to tuning, and subsequently far more enticing thrills (hard to imagine what stage 2+ is like until you've tried it). When I went in the above mentioned R32 it just felt plain slow (a great sound but not the shove to match the soundtrack).

I see the appeal of NA as I'm getting bored of the problems I've suffered with this car whilst getting to an appropriate stage 2 spec (pipe leaks / fuelling gremlins etc...), but even when I tested the V8 4.2 in an S5 it felt all noise and not much go.

I'm hanging in to see if there is an announcement on the RS3, and if it turns out to be another myth then I'm not sure where to go next.

Loving the old 3.2 vs 2.0T argument (almost as done to death as petrol vs. diesel). Horses for courses, personal preference, depends what you want from your car I guess.

Bret...you telling me you have a 6 speed DSG S3 ??? I dont doubt you know how many gears your car has but i just never heard of one before ??

Yes it is 6 speed, it says 6 in the little boxy thing on the dash when you in 6, never seen it say 7, it pretty well says 6 everywhere else, ofc you are pulling my plonker :p

cheers
Paul

Sorry but you cant get less pretty than an S3...:icon_thumright:.....Do you know how much they cost !!:faint:

My Plonker is really not that short :), copied from S3 PDF
S3 quattro®
6-speed S tronic
4-cylinder
1984 (4)
265/6000
350/2500 -5000
5.5 155** 193 27% 25.4 (11.1) 42.2 (6.7) 34.0 (8.3) 18/36 E 1475
2035 75 – –
281 1011 60

I test drover one the other week and that was 7speed... I even have a loan car at the moment that is a 1.8T and that is 7 speed.

Did you follow the link ??

I test drover one the other week and that was 7speed... I even have a loan car at the moment that is a 1.8T and that is 7 speed.

Did you follow the link ??

I looked at the PDF again you are right some are 7 speeds, some are 6 speeds, S3 is 6

Sorry I had missed the link, well maybe they changed their mind, all I know is mine has been built in the last 2 to 3 months, I have had it just over a month, and it is 6 speed :(

Here is link to PDF form Audi Site http://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/contact-us/brochures.html

Last edited:
It just goes to show how Audi dont have a clue Bret because i was told by them the S3 only got DSG in 2008/9 and they were all 7 speed...And those plonkers are trying to sell them :jump:

It just goes to show how Audi dont have a clue Bret because i was told by them the S3 only got DSG in 2008/9 and they were all 7 speed...And those plonkers are trying to sell them :jump:
You are right, I have had the same problem they have even advertised 2nd hand s3's less than a yr old with 7 speeds, then when I queried it, they run off for 10 mins and came back saying I was right it was a 6.

The one i drove last week was Jan 10 and he swore that was a better box than my 6 speed dsg i have at present because it was 7 speed....I didnt notice the gear indicator but it seemed to change in to top even at 20 mph...

cheers
Paul

You better sit down if you read this Paul...:sadlike:
RE: S3 road test... !

Unfortunately, though, all is not sweetness and light. The biggest problem for me is the engine.

It’s not very nice. It’s harsh when you rev it, and there’s far too much turbo lag when you don’t.

And it’s not like they were stuck for something thrusty and powerful to give this sporty car some extra oomph. Why didn’t they go for the V6 currently used in the Golf R32? And even more strangely, why not the exquisite, light and compact V8 from the RS4?

So the engine’s wrong, along with the feel of the thing when you’re driving it. Unusually for an Audi it rides quite well most of the time and is therefore a comfortable companion, but when you push it, and that’s surely the point of a car with stiffened springs and fat wheels, it feels woolly and cumbersome.

I’d like, at this point, to advise you all hold off until the much talked about RS3 comes onto the market. But I’m reliably informed that despite much speculation in the motoring press, and even a handful of spy pictures, no such thing will be launched until after the all-new A3 is introduced, two years from now.

So if you want a sporty, reliable, well made car for around £27,000 what are your choices? There’s the hideous Mercedes C-class coupé or the bread van BMW calls a 1-series. Or, in the true tradition of multiple choice, c) none of the above.

What I’d do is save nearly £3,000 and buy the Golf R32, which has the same four-wheel-drive system as the Audi but comes with a much better V6 engine.

Last edited:

cheers
Paul

lol

Finished laughing.

On a serious note, I agree.

What I’d do is save nearly £3,000 and buy the Golf R32, which has the same four-wheel-drive system as the Audi but comes with a much better V6 engine.

And has a dull interior, it's equally as uninspiring to look at (the Golf Ed30 is better looking), is heavier, depreciates harder, and has been discontinued as it no longer has a place in the future vision of VAG models.

Next...

And has a dull interior, it's equally as uninspiring to look at (the Golf Ed30 is better looking), is heavier, depreciates harder, and has been discontinued as it no longer has a place in the future vision of VAG models.

Next...

So what we need is a A3 with an R32 engine.......but wait...there is one now !! in my drive !! :lmfao:

Well it should be but once again its back at Audi's.......lol

So what we need is a A3 with an R32 engine.......but wait...there is one now !! in my drive !! :lmfao:

Well it should be but once again its back at Audi's.......lol

What I need is a 996 twin :w00t: , if I never heard the words Audi Master Technician again it would be too soon!! I was hoping the R36 may end up in an A3, but I guess it didn't hit Audi's green agenda.

They are thinking new ECU unit for mine now....but there is no guarantee thats the problem and i have to buy it on the hunch of the "Audi master tech"....It may not be that but thats my problem apparently..lol

the obvious answer would have been to fit the light weight 3ltr supercharged S4 lump IMHO

i have to buy it on the hunch of the "Audi master tech"....It may not be that but thats my problem apparently..lol

That proves how little Audi care for their customers. I think it's a f**king disgrace. Basically they have deemed we should think ourselves lucky to own, and when it gets to that point maybe it's time to move on.

Unfortunately, though, all is not sweetness and light. The biggest problem for me is the engine.

It’s not very nice. It’s harsh when you rev it, and there’s far too much turbo lag when you don’t.

And it’s not like they were stuck for something thrusty and powerful to give this sporty car some extra oomph. Why didn’t they go for the V6 currently used in the Golf R32? And even more strangely, why not the exquisite, light and compact V8 from the RS4?

So the engine’s wrong, along with the feel of the thing when you’re driving it. Unusually for an Audi it rides quite well most of the time and is therefore a comfortable companion, but when you push it, and that’s surely the point of a car with stiffened springs and fat wheels, it feels woolly and cumbersome.

I’d like, at this point, to advise you all hold off until the much talked about RS3 comes onto the market. But I’m reliably informed that despite much speculation in the motoring press, and even a handful of spy pictures, no such thing will be launched until after the all-new A3 is introduced, two years from now.

So if you want a sporty, reliable, well made car for around £27,000 what are your choices? There’s the hideous Mercedes C-class coupé or the bread van BMW calls a 1-series. Or, in the true tradition of multiple choice, c) none of the above.

****! I bought the wrong car.:scared2:

Looks like I was suckered by the `great S3 swindle`.
Ho Hum, there was me enjoying the last 2 years of ownership, looks like a imagined the whole thing:faint:

Wish I had read this article before:whistle2:

Then I could have bought a slower, thirstier, uglier VW, with and inferior cabin. And had the of luxury stratospheric depreciation while listening to a V6.
Where would we be without these Journos. :icon_thumright:
Genius.

Cheers
Paul

****! I bought the wrong car.:scared2:

Looks like I was suckered by the `great S3 swindle`.
Ho Hum, there was me enjoying the last 2 years of ownership, looks like a imagined the whole thing:faint:

Wish I had read this article before:whistle2:

Then I could have bought a slower, thirstier, uglier VW, with and inferior cabin. And had the of luxury stratospheric depreciation while listening to a V6.
Where would we be without these Journos. :icon_thumright:
Genius.

Cheers
Paul

:iagree:

The 3.2 is a nice engine but it makes the car pretty nose heavy, isnt that fast and you cant add 40-50bhp for a measly few hundred quid. It has a nice linear power delivery but you don't really much of a kick in back , and its weak at high revs.

The R32 is more expensive to, big Discounts to be had for an S3, not for R32

ah well there is a good reason for that...............................................................I'll get me coat then...:)