has anyone split the headlights?

DOLPHIN DIESEL

Reaction score
as above, im thinking of doing it and painting them gloss black, just wondered if anyone had done it and whats involved?

from having a quick look im guessing you remove the metal clips and heat up the bonding then seperate them, ive done a set of mk2 golf lights before in the oven but they have glass lamps so it wont melt the lense

not sure what you mean but intrigued nonetheless - got any image examples of this having been done on your golf or other cars?

I would assume heat gun on the right areas because the lens will melt in an oven. Popular mod on TT's this. Also lots of people do it on the Fabia VRs because they have a large bright glass area compared to other small cars.

Have a crack at it, thought about it myself!

I split the headlight on my Kawasaki ZX6r which has plastic lenses and body - with no probs at all.
The amount of heat needed to soften the sealant is nowhere near hot enough to melt the plastic itself.

Just keep a eye on it when its in the oven - Its not a cake and shouldn't turn brown:jester:

I was wondering about doing this to put running lights in. Seen it done on MKIVs. If you have a go, let us know how you get on, its something I really want to do.