A3 Triptronic-Is it problematic?

Aldo

Reaction score
Having previously had a A4 Avant FSi back in 2007/8
I then went to the BMW tourer side which I will be selling shortly.

However I quite fancy something a bit smaller and nippier and like the look of the A3's.

I think it would be the 170 as that is a totally different engine to the 140 for performance wise?

I have seen a few at some garages and one is a S Line Triptronic 170.

can the triptronic box be problematic at all? car is 2007 done about 40k

Cheers

I've only had this box for a few weeks, and before that I had an A3 manual. Don't know about problems but I do know that i'm loving the box!

Never thought I'd see me in an "auto", but 100% happy I made the leap.

When buyin this car it had to be "auto/dsg" as I was doing alot of miles, but now adays with traffic etc, no point in having a manual unless its a sports car you drive on weekends imo.

I'm on my third A3 with the DSG/S-tronic gearbox and covered around 36k in both the previous ones (one in a PD140 and one in a PD170) and around 13k in my present CR140. I've had absolutely no problems at all. Before my last three A3 I had four manual A3s and 15 other manual cars. Personally I will never go back to a manual. With the S-tronic you have the best of both worlds. Auto when you're in heavy slow moving traffic and manual using the centre lever or paddles at other times. You just don't have to keep pushing the clutch pedal. I drive with mine in 'tiptronic' mode almost all the time and thoroughly enjoy it.

Last edited:
I throughly enjoy your contribution to this forum Dave :wub::wub:

Stupid spell checker - it should have known I meant 'thoroughly' and not 'throughly'. Thanks for spotting my mistake.

Hiya,

Thanks for the replies, Looks like it's all good with this box then-may go for a test drive over the BH weekend :)