Intakes

Shane.

Reaction score
Yes another intake topic, I had a good old search and this isn't another "what's the best CAI?" topic, it's more of a apart from the noise is it really worth it? This is completely for my own circumstances, I understand the logic of them and I understand if your chasing numbers and adding other performance mods then they are BUT I want to know is it something I would be worthwhile getting in future or is it pretty pointless.

I have an A3 2.0T fsi, I will be getting this mapped by local place at some point but doing my research before I do. The intake would be the only addition, running everything else standard. I have looked at the carbonio style as a simple option (second hand on ebay) and I get that these only give a slightly better response than standard (I am running K&N panel filter at the moment so would be coupled with that) so are mainly for show. I have also looked at the CAI & modified cover route (ITG, DBilas, Pipercross etc) but again have read that they can make big improvement but some say only with an exhaust system to match.

Any information would be great and answers with reasons/explanations please

Thanks
Shane

The list is endless, or nearly. Do or dont. It makes a difference.

Don't really get your responce tbh. I am not asking what one to get I'm asking as a whole are they worth the cost with no other mods? And you say do or don't there's a difference, but don't state what are the differences some people say they just add noise without other stuff, whereas others say they make a noticeable difference on there own etc

tbh, if you cant search the site then you wont get much info. if you dont get one then your missing out.

CAIs make an enormous difference on turbocharged cars where air is the key to power - but only if the exhaust goes with it to create the free flow throughout the system. Panel filters and carbonio gubbins make zero difference. If you are adamant you won't be getting the exhaust done I'd forget the intake and just get it mapped. But you should get the exhaust really - it will transform your motor with the intake and remap.

Intake do make a big difference, more so with exhaust , but will still see improvements with standard exhaust. I have Dbilas for sale if you are interested as I have changed to 3" intake.

tbh, if you cant search the site then you wont get much info. if you dont get one then your missing out.
Not being funny but again no need for that comment, as I mentioned in my original post I DID search first, this place and several other forums but I saw responses saying Carbonios are the best thing since sliced bread, CAI's are chavvy and just make noise etc which as I have never really had anything with a bit of power before I have no previous knowledge of. That's why I asked on here as there seems to be alot of knowledgeable people who could help out, I didn't go by previous posts on here because I wanted an answer for my personal situation.
CAIs make an enormous difference on turbocharged cars where air is the key to power - but only if the exhaust goes with it to create the free flow throughout the system. Panel filters and carbonio gubbins make zero difference. If you are adamant you won't be getting the exhaust done I'd forget the intake and just get it mapped. But you should get the exhaust really - it will transform your motor with the intake and remap.
Thanks mate, you have been very informative :) I understand what your saying with the exhaust, but my main interest is audio rather than performance so main budget has gone/is going there, the remap is really only because I'd like to just give it a little extra kick when wanted and place that's the cheapest, most recommended and best quoted increases is only 10 mins from my house.
Intake do make a big difference, more so with exhaust , but will still see improvements with standard exhaust. I have Dbilas for sale if you are interested as I have changed to 3" intake.
Thanks for the offer mate but based on what I've just been told think I will give it a miss for now good luck with the sale