OK stupid question time from a newbie.
I've recently purchased an S3 which is due in 2 weeks hopefully. I needed one fairly quick so, with the dealers help, chose a car that was already built and as near to the spec I wanted as possible.
When it came to SatNav/Hi Fi my theory went;
1. I'm loathed to handover Ł1500+ for Sat Nav when I don't/won't use it much and I can buy a Tom Tom for much less.
2. My main source of music these days is my beloved iPod so go for a basic system + Bose and an iPod integration kit.
Going the above route gave me more pennies to spend on bits I did want and widened my choice for colours etc. However, I couldn't find one with a factory iPod kit so chose a ConcertII+ with Bose, with the intention of adding the iPod later.
Now I realise what a wonderful thing hindsight is. It seems the iPod integration on the basic Concert (or even Symphony) even with the factory cradle is awful with little control or information available via the OEM set up. Aftermarket kits are little better.
I now see that the ONLY decent iPod integration is achieved (please correct me if I'm wrong) with the RNS-E unit and Music Interface which provides a charging dock and all the control and information from the iPod delivered with the head unit. Seems a cheap route given that the units can be bought alone for Ł600ish.
So now for the stupid questions:
1. Given that I've now realised my mistake I'm looking to rectify and fit an RNS-E after delivery. In the latest brochure Audi quote Ł1650 for the SatNav (presumably RNS-E?) and Ł250 for the Music Interface, or Ł1495 for the Technology Pack which includes SatNav and Music Interface. Why the difference in price??
2. Can I simply buy an RNS-E and swap? I have Bose. I also see another thread ( http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...-use-with-RNSe) taking about the need to fiddle with antennae to get the swap to work properly. Would I need to perform this mod too?
3. I believe Audi updated the RNS-E last year (better graphics, SDHC support?). Has anyone any recommendations of someone who could supply and fit the latest unit?
4. There seems to be an awful lot of used RNS-E units around on fleabay and with aftermarket suppliers. Why? Who gets rid of an RNS-E or are they all stolen?
Thanks guys. This forum is proving a mine of useful info for me and I'm very grateful.