Aftermarket HID/Xenon - clarification please!

Dec

Reaction score
Ok so I have been searching around, and it seems that what I have read about aftermaket HID kits do impact the wiper motor on A3's.

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a3-s3-cabrio/115763-wiper-motor-aftermarket-xenons.html

But why? I really do not see how they are remotely linked together! I miss the HID's that I had on my old car as they were just so much better than standard bulbs (in both looks and visibility) yet adjusted properly so they didn't blind people! So, is there a way to get around it? Is it all just coincidence that peoples wipers play up? Or what are the best uprated bulbs to go for?

Cheers guys!

Not sure why this affects A3s, i've had the same HID kit in my old and current Boxsters and never had any issues, although i rarely use the wipers as i treat the glass with rain repellent.

As to the legality, they're not legal, but at least i have them in projector lenses which prevents the glare you get in a normal reflector headlamp unit. I've probably done 50k miles with these fitted and never had anyone flash me.

I've got Philips Extreme Power bulbs in my other car, and whilst they are better than the Philips LongLife fitted by the factory they aren't the enormous improvement the reviews make out. However i think most of the issue is the poor reflector/beam design to be honest, so wouldn't matter what was fitted !

Yea all seems a little odd to me, and slightly annoying. A friend of mine has a Mk5 golf which is pretty much the same as an A3, and he has had no problems.

I am fully aware of the legality problems with them, and my golf even passed the MOT with non projector lights, and never had anyone flash me, so maybe I just got lucky!

I will probably just leave the bulbs as they are then, although slightly disapointed!

its to do with the voltage on the initial arcing to get the lights going, its that large it has been damaging the wiper motor control units, same on turnoff too i belive retrofit the oem ones that dont blind everyone ou cheap buggers :p

Ah I see ! Makes slightly more sense now. Why does this seem to only be on A3's though?

Would have thought it would affect older cars more due to older looms etc.. :(

yea its strange. my a3 has problems regarding wipers too. but if you dont get a cheap aftermarket unit, and have your garage check your headlights,

you wont blind anyone! fact!

...till you hit a bump without auto levelling, if you put them through a projector lens it impoves things a lot

I am fully aware of the legality problems with them, and my golf even passed the MOT with non projector lights, and never had anyone flash me, so maybe I just got lucky!
QUOTE]

Whilst there are departmment for transport guidelines pointing out the illegal nature of retro fit HID kits, the MOT test only assesses headlight alignment (in a static test), a minimum light output and that both 'bulb's are similar in colour. You could put 500W bulbs in there and they'd pass the MOT !

Depends on the reflector design really and it is always wrong just domewimes within a tolerable amount

from what i know this is the kit that should be used to install the HID bulbs and not let it blow up the wiper motor/ I remember reading on this forum somewhere someone who has fitted one of these units and it is working fine. Try the search function for the post...

I will be doing my HID upgrade in a couple months once i have finished off a few other upgrades that i have already started.

Depends on the reflector design really and it is always wrong just domewimes within a tolerable amount

Also depends on the physical dimensions of the HID bulb unit compared to a halogen bulb, ie where the light source sits relative to the original halogen filament. Some HID bulbs are too long and then foul the reflector/cap in the headlight unit.

I fitted Aftermarket xenons to my halogen lamps as ive seen some cars with it done and arent that blinding but mine were terrible so took them out within the hour, ive fitted OEM headlights with xenons now but i get the Bulb Out warning...can this be turned off with VagCom? anyone know what to do

I fitted Aftermarket xenons to my halogen lamps as ive seen some cars with it done and arent that blinding but mine were terrible so took them out within the hour, ive fitted OEM headlights with xenons now but i get the Bulb Out warning...can this be turned off with VagCom? anyone know what to do
think you need a trip down maplins and get yourself some resistors (about 17pence each !) that will sort it. maybe drl 150 ohm 2 watt (99% sure its these)

well this seems to be a on going thing with a3's,

i got a 53 plate a3 and fitted after market hid's, did have to ajust the beam as i lowered car as well. also had the bulb out sign on dash
i just fitted some 501 bulbs in to the hid's plug, this sorted that out (also gives you a light under bonnet if needed lol)

now, would you be suprised if my rear wiper has gone, well yes it has, just waiting for new one to be delivered

dose anyone know if there is a way to protect the wiper motor from hid's

i got a 53 plate a3 and fitted after market hid's, did have to ajust the beam as i lowered car as well. also had the bulb out sign on dash
i just fitted some 501 bulbs in to the hid's plug, this sorted that out (also gives you a light under bonnet if needed lol)

now, would you be suprised if my rear wiper has gone, well yes it has, just waiting for new one to be delivered

check those links i have posted earlier to help with the wiper motors...

think you need a trip down maplins and get yourself some resistors (about 17pence each !) that will sort it. maybe drl 150 ohm 2 watt (99% sure its these)

I have no idea where id put them ? haha

can you clarify the procedure regarding plugging 501 bulbs into the hid's plug please m8? I'm having the same troubles!

This may sound dumb/may have already been covered, but couldn't you fit a relay/harness which powers the ballasts straight from the battery, therefore avoiding any stock wiring altogether? I did this with my last car and didn't have any problems, although that wasn't an A3.

Something like this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headlight-Wir...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51922ecb18 (just an example, there are plenty on eBay and presumably other sites)

Yes, you need to change the coding to XENON. Module 09, byte 21 should read "12". Even if you fit OEM xenon headlights etc, you still need to recode otherwise you get dipped beam warning and also sometimes strobing.

can you clarify the procedure regarding plugging 501 bulbs into the hid's plug please m8? I'm having the same troubles!

these a3's have a mind of there own lol,

when i pluged in the hid plug to the a3's headlight plug i just wired into the plug, 2 wires just to run a bulb (501) a bit crude maybee but was a quick fix to a bleep in the car,

I can confirm that prior to reading this i installed some HID lights in my A3. Yesterday the wipers refused to work & i am lighter to the tune of £131

The HiDS were removed last night & the new motor installed. I dont know if it was coincidence or not as mine is a 55 plate & the brushes were very worn on the motor as i stripped it down & i,m hoping to fix it . As i have only had the car a few weeks i never knew the wipers parked as this never worked on the original motor, which makes me think there was already something wrong with it

Incidentally the Audi garage mechanic was trying to convince me that it needed setting up on computer, What utter ******** it took me less than an hour to fit it & i made sure that it operated the motor prior to refitting the blades & all was well
It now parks & operates as it should. I,m glad my mate works @ Audi & i can get his discount.

Just goes to show how some folk try to ******** you into stressing & paying the 100 an hour fee to fit stuff.

I am going to investigate the HIDS that say canbus compatable, I suppose they will say they work until it goes tits up & then deny all knowledge. May just get some phillips xtreme crocuses for the time being