Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48

Thread: What to buy

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7

    What to buy

    Thought I may as well ask here and get a slightly biased but experienced point of view.

    I currently run a 2006 E60 M5 and a 204 bhp caterham 7 superlight. Here you go:



    The M5 is annoying me a bit. Long story but the transmission really is annoying and the running costs are pretty big. I work offshore so it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that it annoys me spending vast amounts of fuel on short journeys. ie a tank of 80 notes sometimes lasts less than 200 miles! It's also a bit big for a single guy so I think I am at the stage where I can sell it and just be able to say been there done that.

    I test drove an S3 a few months ago and was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. Really dull sounding engine but good fun to throw around a bit. Felt so much chuckable and fun at normal speeds, rather than the 100mph+ I need to get to thrash the M5. Also need a bit more boot flexibility so a hatch is in my mind.

    So thinking about an S3 and I think I have three options considering I should be able to sell the M5 for about 28 to 30k

    1. Buy brand new so I can get all the options I want. tech pack, comfort pack, lighting, heated seats, tinted glass, sunroof, all that jazz for around 30K (know a man who can get me around 10% off) (may consider swapping tech pack for the sport seats and then ebaying to get RNS-E but need to research a bit more)

    2. Buy 18 month old facelifted car and hope I can find one with as many toys as I can.

    3. Buy pre-facelift low miles (aprox 20k) and save the rest of the cash for the next car

    With option 1 and 2 I would prob just revo stage 1 and maybe lower. Option 3 I would maybe go mad and go full stage 2 and coilovers etc

    All opinions welcome, including those which tell me I am mad to be trading in an M5 for a hot hatch! (still not 100% I want to either)

    Thanks

    Finnie
    Last edited by finnie; 25th April 2010 at 02:23. Reason: forgot photo

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    tku
    tku's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Yes. Your mad.


    Now regarding the options..First of all..good choice choosing an S3 ..Personally, it would depend on how long you wish to keep the car and what your next car in the future would be..If you was to be upgrading to a mega car i.e M5 level then I would probably buy an older model and stage 2 and just enjoy it as a runabout whilst you decide what next to buy...However, and this is a big however..you have big pockets..which you must do to have an e60 m5 and a caterham..and you was to keep the car for a few years..then buy new! I would..

  4. #3
    tku
    tku's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Oh and may I just say how amazing your 2 cars are in the above pic. Must be fun.

  5. #4
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,862
    i wouldnt say youre mad hot hatches always bring smiles, however you are mad to buy it new because by the sounds of things youve no intention of keeping the car and are effectively just pissing money against the wall so id say buy the facelift or prefacelift, dependant on what one you prefer as it seems to some the facelift is marmite and remember me if you get sick of those bucket seats id love to swap.

    anyway my closing advice would be to have another shot in an s3 and see how you feel and decide from there


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

  6. #5
    MR ANGRY
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by finnie View Post
    Thought I may as well ask here and get a slightly biased but experienced point of view.

    I currently run a 2006 E60 M5 and a 204 bhp caterham 7 superlight. Here you go:



    The M5 is annoying me a bit. Long story but the transmission really is annoying and the running costs are pretty big. I work offshore so it's not that I can't afford it, it's just that it annoys me spending vast amounts of fuel on short journeys. ie a tank of 80 notes sometimes lasts less than 200 miles! It's also a bit big for a single guy so I think I am at the stage where I can sell it and just be able to say been there done that.

    I test drove an S3 a few months ago and was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. Really dull sounding engine but good fun to throw around a bit. Felt so much chuckable and fun at normal speeds, rather than the 100mph+ I need to get to thrash the M5. Also need a bit more boot flexibility so a hatch is in my mind.

    So thinking about an S3 and I think I have three options considering I should be able to sell the M5 for about 28 to 30k

    1. Buy brand new so I can get all the options I want. tech pack, comfort pack, lighting, heated seats, tinted glass, sunroof, all that jazz for around 30K (know a man who can get me around 10% off) (may consider swapping tech pack for the sport seats and then ebaying to get RNS-E but need to research a bit more)

    2. Buy 18 month old facelifted car and hope I can find one with as many toys as I can.

    3. Buy pre-facelift low miles (aprox 20k) and save the rest of the cash for the next car

    With option 1 and 2 I would prob just revo stage 1 and maybe lower. Option 3 I would maybe go mad and go full stage 2 and coilovers etc

    All opinions welcome, including those which tell me I am mad to be trading in an M5 for a hot hatch! (still not 100% I want to either)

    Thanks

    Finnie
    DONT DO IT.
    S3 is a pretty car but it ends there.
    I had a brand new one 4 months ago & hated it. Sold it now.
    On a day to day basis a good 2.0 tdi with a good hand behind the wheel can do everything an s3 can, but far far cheaper.
    If you want something that does not drink fuel, thats another reason not to buy an S3, as they too like a drink.
    Ive had STI imprezas, P1 impreza, FQ 320 MITSI, & an s3 cannot hold a candle to any of them. At least with the jap cars that eat fuel you also get massive smiles for your money, for me the s3 just did not do it.
    Your M5 is in a different league, heavy on fuel i know.
    If you bought an S3 you would compare so much with the M5 & believe me you will regret it.

  7. #6
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    The S3 is extremely capable rather than massive smile inducing fun, it will cover long distances in reasonable comfort and provide superb pace cross country after a little bit of tinkering, as you already have a brillaint smiles per miles car in the caterham it could be just what you are looking for, my fear is that you will miss the engine and exhaust note of a larger engined car, around town you are looking at 23-24 mpg which is still double what you will get from the M5, on an 85 mph motorway blast 30 is achievable.

    I would sum the S3 up as above really, very capable and in my opinion the best Hot hatch for th money and I would consider myself unbiased, if on the other hand if you are looking for another great car from another stable, what about a 335i, remap one of these and you are looking at 370bhp and you get a silky sounding engine note plus plenty of room for 4 plus marginally better mpg - the other plus point is a simple PX deal at a BMW delaership.

    How privileged to be hard working enough to be in this position, enjoy the choice and welcome to the forum.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    47
    Consider size as well. I went to a large car to an A3 Sportback in January. It felt very small and the interior, while well built, is from a generation ago. I thought I could live with it....I couldn't. Now gone and replaced with an A5 Sportback.
    59 reg,silver A5 Sportback,

  9. #8
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    Here's another consideration if size is important, the new S4 is a real sleeper - 3.0 v6 supercharged, comfy, fast, 29mpg, and 400bhp from a remap, spec the sports diff sports seats and enjoy the opposite to your caterham plus the security of 4wd in the winter months up north, so much choice with your budget it actually makes it harder IMO.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    52
    going from the M5 to S3 will be quite a change! half the power, less gadgets, less space, less comfortable

    if you're thinking of going to the S3 as an interim before deciding what you really want to buy, i'd say don't bother!! just keep the m5, save your notes and figure out what you want and put your hard earned into that instead.

    i think you'll lose less money on the M5 from today's price vs the depreciation of an S3. although s3s appear to be holding their value for now...

    if you are going to get into an s3, 10% off list on a brand new car is very good! high specced 1 year old S3s are going for around 29k+ at the dealers. you'll be able to get high specced brand new with 10% off for around 30k.

    wrt your dilema of what to buy next... sounds like you want to downsize, but not necessarily downgrade... at the performance end of things, sticking to BMW, you've got the obvious choice of new M3 - decent 2 yr olds are going for high 30s. for an upgrade (of sorts), how about a porker? some decent 997 C2S and C4S are coming in below 40k nowadays.

  11. #10
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by MR ANGRY View Post
    DONT DO IT.
    On a day to day basis a good 2.0 tdi with a good hand behind the wheel can do everything an s3 can, but far far cheaper.

    ve had STI imprezas, P1 impreza, FQ 320 MITSI, & an s3 cannot hold a candle to any of them. At least with the jap cars that eat fuel you also get massive smiles for your money, for me the s3 just did .

    Agree the Jap stuff would be more of a giggle, with compromises on running costs, cabin quality, styling etc. of course.

    Ive driven and Evo and Impreza, thought they were great, just wouldnt want to own one, doesnt fit my daily driver needs and tastes.
    And if anyone buys an S3 thinking it will be anything like an EVO etc then you wont be keeping it.

    BUT, the S3 is absolutlely nothing like a Tdi!!, it shares the same body but the similarities end there (its a wacky claim but you know that and are just winding us S3 fanboys up- Im not biting BTW)

    I dont think the OP is looking to buy an S3 because its better than the 2 superb cars he already has, he just wants something very different, almost in between the 2 extremes of a proper sports cars and a super salloon.
    The S3 sits right in the middle IMO.

    As far as running costs are concerned, its not bad for what you get, not that much more than a Golf Gti.

    Spin has summed the S3 as a car, very well already.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  12. #11
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,862
    plus you cannot sompare a saloon to a hatchback weight disribution is totally different

    its all down to preference really


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

  13. #12
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    617
    I have never liked big cars, and although I could afford them, I still never taken that route, I just bought a new S3, and so far from a day to day it is good, I love the small size, and so far the consumption, Options are an issue though, and Sat Nav even the latest is dated, ( have just spent a fortune putting it in as an after thought) it is sad that they did not make the latest HDD version fit all the new Audi Cars. trouble is Sat Nav controls so much it is important they should get it right.

    I do feel the Caterham may be similar in what you want for the general trash about, of course the S3 is very usable in the winter.
    I have spent some time in an M5 though an older one, and as much it is a great car I would never buy one, it just does not suit my needs and warrants the fuel usage.

    It is a tough choice for sure, a lot of cash to spend on something you may not be sure, I would really suggest you have a very long test drive before jumping the gun.

  14. #13
    MR ANGRY
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Agree the Jap stuff would be more of a giggle, with compromises on running costs, cabin quality, styling etc. of course.

    Ive driven and Evo and Impreza, thought they were great, just wouldnt want to own one, doesnt fit my daily driver needs and tastes.
    And if anyone buys an S3 thinking it will be anything like an EVO etc then you wont be keeping it.

    BUT, the S3 is absolutlely nothing like a Tdi!!, it shares the same body but the similarities end there (its a wacky claim but you know that and are just winding us S3 fanboys up- Im not biting BTW)

    I dont think the OP is looking to buy an S3 because its better than the 2 superb cars he already has, he just wants something very different, almost in between the 2 extremes of a proper sports cars and a super salloon.
    The S3 sits right in the middle IMO.

    As far as running costs are concerned, its not bad for what you get, not that much more than a Golf Gti.

    Spin has summed the S3 as a car, very well already.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Could not agree more regarding build of jap cars.
    Not trying to wind any s3 owner up at all, i do believe a good driver in a 170 tdi could easily cover gound as quickly than an average driver in an s3. Im not talking about point & squirt in a straight line, im talking country style roads.
    As for laughs per mile for your money, for a sensible outlay i dont think there is anything matchs an evo 9 fq320.
    Crap build quality aye, but so what.

  15. #14
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by MR ANGRY View Post
    Could not agree more regarding build of jap cars.
    Not trying to wind any s3 owner up at all, i do believe a good driver in a 170 tdi could easily cover gound as quickly than an average driver in an s3. Im not talking about point & squirt in a straight line, im talking country style roads.
    As for laughs per mile for your money, for a sensible outlay i dont think there is anything matchs an evo 9 fq320.
    Crap build quality aye, but so what.
    Sorry but that is completely irrelevant it is all about if the same driver can cover ground as quick in an S3 or a 170 tdi, I would guess being no expert and s3 is going to be somewhat better than an 170 tdi

  16. #15
    PH1L's Avatar
    Gievf Buckets

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forfar, Scotland
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by MR ANGRY View Post
    Crap build quality aye, but so what.
    risking sounding angry with this reply (not my intention) are you really that stupid were talking about a daily driver here, id go as far as saying that build quality is the most important factor for the guy.

    and i prefer not to feel like im going 100mph when im infact driving at 30, i enjoy having my stereo low and still being able to hear it, i also enjoy being able to hear other traffic and being able to hear bikers come up behind me


    2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

    Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

    Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

    Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

    Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

  17. #16
    tku
    tku's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by MR ANGRY View Post
    Could not agree more regarding build of jap cars.
    Not trying to wind any s3 owner up at all, i do believe a good driver in a 170 tdi could easily cover gound as quickly than an average driver in an s3. Im not talking about point & squirt in a straight line, im talking country style roads.
    As for laughs per mile for your money, for a sensible outlay i dont think there is anything matchs an evo 9 fq320.
    Crap build quality aye, but so what.
    Errr...Bcos it's built of shi*e? ..Yes you will get the biggest turbo lag of your life and then a huge turbo boost to the back of your head..however the thrill will soon dissapear and the minute you dress up and try park at a fancy restaurant..the game is already over..By looking at the OP's choices of cars already..I doubt he wants to turn up with a nice lady in a lunchbox.

  18. #17
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by MR ANGRY View Post
    Could not agree more regarding build of jap cars.
    Not trying to wind any s3 owner up at all, i do believe a good driver in a 170 tdi could easily cover gound as quickly than an average driver in an s3. Im not talking about point & squirt in a .
    Applying the same logic, an excellent driver in 1.9 Tdi could probably beat ham fisted average Joe (me!) in an S3 in a very specific set of conditions.

    Just not sure what that got to do with the merits of the respective cars? Or the thread for that matter?

    If you like to get lairy everytime you get behind the wheel then dont bother with the S3 and stick with EVOS etc.

    But thats only %5 of the time for me, the rest is spent sitting in traffic, visiting clients/suppliers, shopping and ferrying kids about.
    It actually makes sitting at the Tyne Tunnel queues tolerable.

    The most important thing about a car is how it makes you `feel` and the S3 nails it for me.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  19. #18
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,484
    Cant believe nobody has mentioned the Cayman yet!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  20. #19
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for all the comments. All much appreciated.

    As a reply to some of them.

    I've had quite a few nice ones, BMW 328i sport, VW Golf V6 4motion, Subaru Impreza RB5, Clio 172 special edition, BMW E46 M3, chipped BMW 335i and now these so have a bit of experience in some fun cars.

    Had the scooby Doo and though it was great it just isn't me. I spend more time driving the car in normal traffic so I want a comfortable leather clad interior to bathe in when I'm not on a mission. So the Jap option is out for me.

    Also been there done that with the chipped 335i and though I loved it, it had no traction at all. I used to spin the inside wheel all the time. I even got a limited slip diff for it but when I tried to get it fitted the garage tried to rip me off so in the end i just decided to sell it. Was stunning though



    I am swithering on keeping the M5. It is so nice, so comfy so fast but when it's cold it's such a lumpy heavy almost spluttery car and the gearbox labours around in D (auto) mode changing up too early and generally annoying me evry mile. Except when I am caning it and then it is simply brilliant. The suspension on the car (even lowered) is also by far the best I have ever experienced. It literally flattens a bumpy road and spits it out the back! BUT as i say at normal speeds it is annoying which lets face it is 90% of the time.

    If I get an S3 I wont be looking at it as a supercar replacement. What I want is car I can jump into, enjoy driving it in a spirited manner and not be thinking about when the gearbox is going to change up etc. If it's economical then great. It must be adaptable too. as a wierd example I want to be able to go to B&Q and buy something in a reasonable box and not have to arrange to borrow another vehicle and get it delivered. My worry with the S3 is the engine noise. As you can see from the list of cars they have all been quite vocally sweet so I really do worry that I would get to hate the 4 cylinder noise. Though the clio was ok!

    I should indeed get an A4 avant and i have looked at them but there is something about the centre dash that I can't stand. It reminds me of a 1982 Vauxhall Cavalier my grandad had. Its the plastic around the radio section. Just looks cheap and very slab like. Ok the S3 is a bit plain but it's a wee car that impresses rather than a luxury/sporty car that dissappoints.

    I have also thought of getting an X5, or an RS4 avant, or a Range rover sport, A golf R, a golf R32, ah who knows.

    I live way up North in the Isle of Lewis so garage visits are few and far between but I will be in Glasgow for a month on June so I think a call to Audi will be required and an extended test drive arranged. Anybody know anyone at Lomond Audi who can arrange??

    Thanks again

    Finnie

  21. #20
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    And Yes I do alright for my self. Especially for being only 32 and getting to own such nice cars. But i do work offshore Africa and spend half of my life away from home so I think I deserve my treats!

  22. #21
    MR ANGRY
    Guest
    Of course it is relevant. That is the point i am making.
    If you are a good driver that knows what he is doing, you dont need an s3.
    You can travel very quickly & an awful lot cheaper in a good TDI. On top of that you have the added bonus that no one will want to steal your TDI unlike the S3 which like many cars today are targeted.
    The guy asked for peoples opinions & i gave mine, whats wrong with that.
    Asking opinions on forums often gives a distorted answer, as most of the people answering are in this case s3 owners.
    Like i said, i was very dissapointed in mine. Just did not enjoy it one little bit, & my opinion is that a tdi does everything on a day to day basis better.
    But then again, i can drive. Where 99 out of a 100 on this site couldn`t drive sheep to market.

  23. #22
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by MR ANGRY View Post
    Of course it is relevant. That is the point i am making.
    If you are a good driver that knows what he is doing, you dont need an s3.
    You can travel very quickly & an awful lot cheaper in a good TDI. On top of that you have the added bonus that no one will want to steal your TDI unlike the S3 which like many cars today are targeted.
    The guy asked for peoples opinions & i gave mine, whats wrong with that.
    Asking opinions on forums often gives a distorted answer, as most of the people answering are in this case s3 owners.
    Like i said, i was very dissapointed in mine. Just did not enjoy it one little bit, & my opinion is that a tdi does everything on a day to day basis better.
    But then again, i can drive. Where 99 out of a 100 on this site couldn`t drive sheep to market.
    You really have lost me on the Tdi v S3 point pal.

    Anyway, it matters not, dont know why you feel the need to be so abbrasive, its not that important to me, and doubt its that important to you.

    The generalisation on driver ability comes across pretty cringey too, but maybe you are a wizard behind the wheel, who knows, who cares.
    Im not here for any ******** so humour me on this one and spare me any handbags please.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  24. #23
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    Please no arguements on my first topic posted here!

    I do agree that a tdi would be just as fast on a long journey. ie when I had the subaru i drove from Glasgow through Skye towards home. For about 100 miles i had a passat about 20 feet off my bumper. Got fed up ato one set of roadworks and as was first in Q I booted it away. Left him standing but then about 10 mins later there he was back behind me when I got caught behind a lorry on the bendy roads!

    BUT the diesel just isn't me. I want petrol as it sounds so much nicer and the economy doesn't make up for it. I also tend to buy top of the range so having a D wouldn't have the same feeling as the S3

  25. #24
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Um....Dont mention sheep !!

    Its difficult to see what someone hopes to gain from asking a question like this on a BB ? especially a S3 heavy BB. As you can see, one mans S3 is another mans 170TDi so personal preferences differ so wildly that we cant read your mind and second guess what you will want. I thought an S3 would be the answer to replace my 3.2 but having driven a couple i realise its not really up to the job and i would buy a new 3.2 over an s3 any day if it was an option. I wanted DSG but i found the S3 was constantly in 7th gear @ 1200rpm so when ever you wanted to go it had to drop3-4 gears just to get on Turbo. a problem you dont get on a NA car and to be honest, it wasnt really any quicker.

    If i was youi i would be looking at a Merc 500SL !! But i am not you so i am looking at a Merc 350SL

  26. #25
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by finnie View Post
    Please no arguements on my first topic posted here!
    This is quite normal ASN flirting.....
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  27. #26
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Um....Dont mention sheep !!

    Its difficult to see what someone hopes to gain from asking a question like this on a BB ? especially a S3 heavy BB. As you can see, one mans S3 is another mans 170TDi so personal preferences differ so wildly that we cant read your mind and second guess what you will want. I thought an S3 would be the answer to replace my 3.2 but having driven a couple i realise its not really up to the job and i would buy a new 3.2 over an s3 any day if it was an option. I wanted DSG but i found the S3 was constantly in 7th gear @ 1200rpm so when ever you wanted to go it had to drop3-4 gears just to get on Turbo. a problem you dont get on a NA car and to be honest, it wasnt really any quicker.

    If i was youi i would be looking at a Merc 500SL !! But i am not you so i am looking at a Merc 350SL
    You forgot to mention those S3s are expensive.....
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  28. #27
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Sorry...S3s are expensive

  29. #28
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Here ya go Paul...my local dealer has a Cayman 3.4s for 26k.....Go for it

    http://www.cridfords.co.uk/

  30. #29
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Sorry...S3s are expensive
    Oh, and Caymans are poor mans 911`s too...
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  31. #30
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    Finnie when you were talking about the S4/A4 you are talking about the new generation are you not as the radio etc is now down by the centre console controlled by MMI next to the gear lever, from what you have said a nicely specced S4 Avant S-tronic should fit teh bill for a relaxing cruise, all year round traction and plenty of oomph when required, I had one for the weekend earlier this year and was very impressed but my overall impression was that it was too big for what I needed as I tend to be solo in my car.

    Mr Angry has the most appropriate user name on here so don't take it personallly that a row has erupted on your thread !!
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  32. #31
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Here ya go Paul...my local dealer has a Cayman 3.4s for 26k.....Go for it

    http://www.cridfords.co.uk/
    Joking aside, those guys have some very nice metal indeed, surprising how much car you get for your money these days.
    997 C2S caught my eye, no good to me though, I would just stick it in a ditch.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  33. #32
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    Cayman is a cracking car but probably not big enough, he already has the Caterham, not jealous at all
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  34. #33
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    0

    Joking aside, those guys have some very nice metal indeed, surprising how much car you get for your money these days.
    997 C2S caught my eye, no good to me though, I would just stick it in a ditch.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Yup...think i would need the girls model C4S
    you arew right. I have another dealer up the road who says he is selling cars like this for 2/3 of the price he was charging 2 years ago !!
    Have a look here..

    http://www.mole-valley.co.uk/page.php?cid=14
    Last edited by paddy; 25th April 2010 at 20:54.

  35. #34
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Telford
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    0

    Joking aside, those guys have some very nice metal indeed, surprising how much car you get for your money these days.
    997 C2S caught my eye, no good to me though, I would just stick it in a ditch.

    Cheers
    Paul
    Thats what i'd do too. I dont think i'll ever buy anything rear drive, they bite! Had a go in an S2000, nearly poo'd my pants on a wet roundabout. Uncle has an M3, I nearly got that sideways on a straight road when pulling out to overtake, he now has a Boxster S and thats the same! But maybe i need one to improve my skills, too many years in hot superminis and predictable front drive understeer for me.

    Still wouldnt swap my Lupo Gti for anything though, love it more than my A3!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

  36. #35
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    What about a Z4 M coupe, there little pocket rockets, look sick and are pretty rare. Not as much of a handful as the older Ms as well they actually understeer a bit unless your really careless with the throttle.
    P.S that TDI /S3 comment was complete nonsense.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  37. #36
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    akash

    Its not complete nonsense. nearly but not complete....

    If you were to stick to speed limits an S3/997/500SL will not actually get you from a to b any faster than a Fiat 500...Its a sad fact but true ..

  38. #37
    1wheelonly's Avatar
    cabriolet

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Lounge
    Posts
    2,062
    option 3 and a modern gsxr1000 or an r1, job done, keep ya cammens and scoobys, bikes own cars without doubt and for the money involved he can have the best of both worlds easily.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

  39. #38
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    52
    slightly off topic, but this debate made me think of the top gear episode where they did a "scientific" test of a toyota prius vs a new BMW M3!... they demonstrated that a 4L highly tuned, high performance vehicle could deliver better fuel economy than one of the supposedly greenest vehicles while driven round the top gear track at the same speed!!

  40. #39
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    akash

    Its not complete nonsense. nearly but not complete....

    If you were to stick to speed limits an S3/997/500SL will not actually get you from a to b any faster than a Fiat 500...Its a sad fact but true ..
    I would much rather leave A and arrive at B in an S3/997/500SL than a Fiat or Tdi.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  41. #40
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    617
    Well an S3 does tick some of your boxes, carrying, small, 4wd, fun, etc. but the one thing that has been stated, I agree, and I can see why people do prefer a 3.2 over the S3 now, is the lack of response at low speeds as the DSG does get into top too early, (6th not 7th) but I can only comment on straight out of the box ones, and not mapped, it is a shame that there is not an 3.2 turbo version but it hit me home how I have missed turbos on small cars now for a while not owning one since R5's

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO