Single Xenon to Bi-Xenon upgrade?

SuperPuper2000

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently managed to smash driver side corner of my A3 3 door S-line 55 reg and now trying to fix things. I need to replace one xenon headlamp on the car. I am having difficulties finding one (pre 06 single xenon it is) and that struggle has made me to look for alternative solutions. I've located couple of 07 bi-xenon headlamps without ballast and I was wondering how easy it is to upgrade them and how easy it is go source new ballasts? Does this make any sense at all to upgrade? I obviously have headlamp washers and self levelling system on the car. Will it be compatible with bi-xenons?

I have worked out that connectors are different so I will need some adapter. I have searched on this forum and there are some comments on Kauftec adapter. Having looked on their website they say that it is from halogen to xenon conversion only. Can someone help me with this?

In regards to the ballasts and D1S bulbs. Does anyone knows the right place to buy them? What is a sensible price for two ballasts? Are the different from O/S to N/S?

I know - too many questions but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for your help.

The upgrade is doable and not too bad on the rewiring and coding side of things the current leveling and washers are compatible, from what i gather youre better reqiring what youve got than going with a kufatec loom as thyve been a bit off lately and still need rewiring, your ballast may still be fine? youll have to look at that, ebay isnt bad for bulbs i think you can get around £15 for a bulb in d1s i dont think you will require new ballasts as i belive the flap that goes from main to full beam is located and controlled by the housing

nhn should whisk along soon and confirm or trash all the ***** im talking

What sort of rewiring would you have to do with the Kauftec loom? As far as I can see the plugs are very different. My plug is 10 pin, new bi-xenon headlamp plug is 14 pin.