TDI - DSG and chipping

GibsonLP

Reaction score
Hello there,
I wish to chip my A3 TDI,
Problem is that I bought a DSG one without knowing it might have a pretty low torque limit.
From what I understand that current engine output is almost at the limits of the DSG (which is pretty odd considering the fact that manufacturers should always take some sort of a safety "distance"...).

I have a friend with the exact same car who chipped it a week ago using an ABT software.
He says the improvement is amazing and everything.
He has DSG as well and it is working, for now anyway...

Question is - is it a KNOWN fact that DSG will simply strip down when used with too much torque? or is it a rumor that is being told?
Is there a chance audi added some more strength to the TDI's DSG compared to the 3.2L as the know the TDI's torque is pushing the DSG to it's limits? - or a DSG is a DSG and that's it...

When I google for "DSG torque limit" I see some that say it is not true, some that say the DSG would strip the teeth of it's gears and some that say the clutch should be beefed up and everything would be fine...

Confusing...

Thanks.

Hi

According to Audi the torque level of the 3.2 and the 2.0 TDI is identical at 320Nm at 1750-2500 and 2500-3000 RPM respectively.

I doubt Audi would release the cars knowing that their gearboxes would shred if given a little more stress, there will be some leighway.

Anyway I'll watch this thread with interest as I will probably be getting my TDi Sportback Revo'd soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW the upper torque limit for the DSG is 365nm which is a safe distance from the factory output of both the 2.0TDI and the 3.2V6.

When I said "the information I needed" I meant - AMD's website and hat jasew has manual gearbox.

Do you really think I wouldn't share other information? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for the safty distance -
* It's only %10 which isn't much.
* The new 2L TDI engine will output 160HP and a bit more than 34Kgm which leaves even less safty distance from the DSG's torque limit.

Gil, I was only winding you up.

As with most engineering safety limits I'm sure the 365nm uppper limit on the DSG is not absolute but a guide. It is probably limited by the materials used in the clutch and by the size of the clutch plates. As with all manufacturers production parts I'm sure the current DSG design has made some comprises to ensure reliability, longievity, smoothness and of course most importantly price. Given time I expect that aftermarket mods for the DSG will allow it to handle a lot more torque.

As for tuning the 2.0TDI with DSG within its current limits you will only be losing peak torque at around 2000rpm so it shouldn't have a dramatic effect on overall performance.