Forge Twintercooler on S3

KRL

Reaction score
Is anybody here running the Forge Twintercooler on their S3?

I'd like to get some feedback on installation as it looks like there is some trimming involved in the fog light areas. Is it possible to install the twintercooler without the trimming?

Also would like some feedback on performance gains and any IAT data if possible :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Is anybody here running the Forge Twintercooler on their S3?

I'd like to get some feedback installation as it looks like there is some trimming involved in the fog light areas. Is it possible to install the twintercooler without the trimming?

Also would like some feedback on performance gains and any IAT data if possible :icon_thumright:

Hi KRL My one wasn't ready when I got back on my last leave but I am back in 2 weeks so will fit it then and will do the before and after run on a rolling road to log any improvement,
If you can wait till then for my info?

Gaz

Hi mate,

That would be great if you can share your results please :)

So anybody else got the the Twintercooler and want to share their experience?

Andy (BigAndy S3 Stealth Beast) had one, and had mixed opinions about it.

From what I've read / heard the mutiple cores for engine radiator / intercooler / air con rad limit the effectiveness of airflow to the core of the IC, rather than the OEM IC not being good at what it does. I am looking to install WMI in the summer as whilst I hate temporary solutions, having a boost controlled supply will mean it gets used up far less quickly and should significantly increase the air density and low actual temps (as well as cleaning the carbonated valve heads!).

I'm not saying don't go for it, the Forge FMIC that replaced my Leon's side mount intercoolers was pretty good, but the OEM SMIC's were badly flawed (airflow was restricted by fogs).

I'd be very interested to see some before / after logs.

Thanks Warren, I agree with what you've said and think the main benefit of the twintercooler is the place where it is located and the fact that it works in parallel with your existing intercooler.

I have seen some good results of its performance when mounted to the S3 intercooler but this has always been in hotter climates. So I am wondering how much benefit it would really bring here in the UK.

I've also considered WMI but it is not really practical for me due to the number of miles I cover - around 400 per week. I think I would be going through quite a lot of meth!!!

Reactions: jdsour
I can see that there are benefits to this,but personally I would not lash out this sort of money on an add-on device,when I can buy a single,bigger intercooler for a similar price.

Fair point. I think installation with the forge would be a lot easier and as an add on it will be easy to remove when the time comes to sell. If you were to replace the OEM cooler I think it would be more of a fit and forget jobby.

I thought the 2.0TFSI /S3 had an FMIC?

It does indeed. The S3 one is slightly uprated compared to the 200bhp TFSI one though

This is what the S3 OEM intercooler looks like:
installs3intercooler3.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the 2.0TFSI /S3 had an FMIC? Does it have twin side mounts then?

The Leon with 1.8T BAM engine (225bhp - same in S3 8L and old version TT I guess) had SMIC's.

As per KRL's pic, all new 2006> cars have FMIC.

Would it not be all 8p 2.0Ts that have them not just 2006>? Pretty sure mine has an FMIC just with plastic end tanks unlike the S3s alloy one.
THe OEM S3 one looks huge can't how anything below 400 BHP would need additional SMICs, especially in the UK?
I would imagine they'd create a fair bit of extra lag.
I read somwhere everywhere significant bend in IC piping is equivalaent to adding a few metres of extra pipework in the reduction in flow it causes.

i'm getting mine in 2-3 weeks. depends on shipping :jump:
i think it helps a lot. but will see when i get it.

i'm getting mine in 2-3 weeks. depends on shipping :jump:
i think it helps a lot. but will see when i get it.

If you have VCDS please can you get some pre and post logs of IATs for comparison?

Akash i think your getting things mixed up. The S3 has a FMIC which you fit the Forge twintercooler infront of or you remove the standard FMIC and fit the THS/APR one. There are no SMIC`s involved anywhere.

This is how the Twintercooler mounts Akash:
FMINTMK5.jpg

I would really like to see some cold hard facts as to how the Twintake performs on the S3 in the UK because everything I read about how it performs on the GTI abroad is good!

For example:
Well folks i said in the past i would do it, and i've finally gotten around to looking at all the logs i've been doing the past 2 months.

The following are my own thoughts/results, after many runs and different settings using the above combo.I will also be posting some graphs, although i don't really thing putting a nice picture up will make any difference to the validity of my results/comments.People can take my post as the please.They can either believe and learn from it, or they can dismiss it as possible propaganda.Either way, i DON'T care...

So here it goes...

First, some comments about the S3 IC by itself.Before actually combining the two IC's i had about 4-5 months of experience with that unit.Contrary to what some people may believe, the S3 IC is a pretty cool intercooler.It does a very good job when compared to the stock GTI IC, but doesn't give the max performance when paired with a high boosting K04.The car feels strong at first, but after a couple of runs, it just gets "tired" and power drops off, hence the need for more cooling.

Pairing the two IC's was a pretty easy task.Having the S3 IC meant that i needed the S3 hoses, but the Gti core to do the job right.Some claimed the Gti hoses might also fit, but hey if you do something, at least do it right.

My initial experience with the Forge combo wasn't at all what i expected.Coming to these forums you hear about how the Forge might increase lag, how its a compromise in design, how much of a pressure drop it creates.Well in my case NONE of the above happened.I expected a decrease in pedal feel and off throttle acceleration, but what happened was exactly the opposite.Car immediately felt peppier, and every day that passed even more so.I can say i was pleasantly surprised.

Logging the 2 units busted another "myth".How the Forge would decrease boost ramp up and cause a laggy sensation when accelerating.Well VAG COM showed the curve of the S3 and the Combo one where ALMOST IDENTICAL.Don't ask me how or why.I was looking for differences to justify all the commotion, but nothing was there.

Then there where the intake temps.Logging the S3 IC at previous instances and doing 2nd to 5th gear pulls with an outside temp of 28 C showed IAT of 45 C, whereas during similar runs (and ambient temps) the combo showed a drop of 5 C !! as low as 40 C at the end of 5th gear.And thats with a K04 setup....During normal travel, the combo showed (at 38 C outside temp) an almost constant IAT of 42 C.Thats just 4 C over ambient !!

As an immense plus, the car just doesn't heatsoak any more.From the moment you turn on the key till you turn the engine off, the power is just always there.

Needless to say adding the Forge made it possible to up the timing a notch, giving even more performance.Car is going on the dyno sometime next month (hopefully) to see what the exact gains are.

Well thats about it.If you ask me if the combo is worth it, i would say it surely depends on what you are running.For me a K04 surely necessitates the use of a bigger cooling setup.Sure there are other IC's out there, but its more of a choice between APR's IC and the S3+Forge Combo.I chose the 2nd cause i already had the S3 installed, and i don't regret it one bit.There was none of the ill effects mentioned in this and other forums, and there was a clear improvement in engine function.

Thumbs up to Forge for a great product.

Stage 3 k04 GTI >

- Dyno before Forge twintercooler > 374HP @ 3 degrees ambient temp
- Dyno after Forge twintercooler > 382HP @ 13 degrees ambiebient temp

If I would made the dyno at the same ambient tem I would probably have seen another 5-7HP wich means the Twintercooler added about 12-15HP
fuscomotor.jpg

Last edited:
s3 has intercooler placed behind the radiators. i think it's ok at lower speeds, but i think forge FMIC will help at higher speeds. but first will have to try it to confirm that.

Gaz m and S.

Did you fit your Twintercoolers? If so please give some feedback :icon_thumright:

Gaz m I guess not as you got a Porker instead....

Gaz m and S.

Did you fit your Twintercoolers? If so please give some feedback :icon_thumright:

Gaz m I guess not as you got a Porker instead....
still waiting for it. should be here this week.

Ok, please could you reply once you have it?

Am particularly interested in how it fits and how much trimming you need to do.

yes, no problem mate. there was some kind of delay in factory. last thursday checked and it was ready for shipping, so i guess in a few days it will arrive. i'm sick of waiting too :(

I've really though about this forge twintercooler and was wondering would it be worth while replacing the standard s3 intercooler with the pro-alloy one and then also using the forge twintercooler on top or would this not work (or is this overkill) for stage 2+ (and possibly BT).

I think that would probably be overkill. The S3 cooler is already good so adding the Twintercooler should make the whole setup extremely good and easily provide enough cooling for big turbo setups as well as the K04.

finally got it!!!!
spent the whole day mounting it. but it was worth it. had the problem as the Forge front mount intercooler for s3 8p won't fit facelift without modification. my tuner phoned forge and they said that they didn't know that untill few weeks ago... seems that audi did lots of changes behind the bumper on facelifts. anyways...after whole day, cutting hoses and trimming front bar, making custom inox pipes, trimming of front bumper we made a perfect fit :rockwoot:
the problem was that the left side IC pipes won't fit so we ended with doing custom pipe.
here are the pics:
forge-s3-redesign-fmic-f.jpg

attachment.php

and now impressions (i only did 30 miles since fitting so will post some more impressions after some milage):
first: i think that car and intake sounds louder than it did before.
second: it pulls slightly better, but from 3rd-4th gear it pulls like a beast!! i think there is a nice power gain throught the whole range, but over 60mph there is a huge difference!!
i'm glad that i did this mod...cheers :beerchug:

great information and apologies for any problems in this not fitting straight onto your car , we were lead to believe by ETKA that this would fit .
Now if there are any UK guys with a facelift S3 2009 we would be happy to see you at Forge to look at the changes we need to make to a nice simple install , the happy helper would leave with the Forge twintercooler on his car at an unbeleivable price , we would need the car for 1 week
please let me know if you are interested

great information and apologies for any problems in this not fitting straight onto your car , we were lead to believe by ETKA that this would fit .
Now if there are any UK guys with a facelift S3 2009 we would be happy to see you at Forge to look at the changes we need to make to a nice simple install , the happy helper would leave with the Forge twintercooler on his car at an unbeleivable price , we would need the car for 1 week
please let me know if you are interested
well...at the end of the day it worked very well..the right side hose fits perfectly the problem is the left one as you can see on the pics. but we've made a solution.

@ xnox202: the last one, or do you mean without foglight mesh?