JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning

Thread: Turbo time

3rd Gear

Status

Turbo time

Hi guys my turbo has finaly give up, I've caught it atvthe right time as just thecwaste gate is stuck on full boost, so my question is: were can I get a hybrid turbo? How much? And what els do I need to get it runnin spot on apart from another map? Also what power will I see after fitting it?

It for a 2007 170 2.0tdi

cheers chris

MY S-LINE 2.0TDI HYBRID PROGRESS

MY PROGRESS THREAD

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Has anyone done a Hybrid 170?

Boycie

Status
    send devonmikeyboy a pm - our local deisel guru!

3rd Gear

Status
    Will do cheers guys

MY PROGRESS THREAD

5th Gear

Status
    Had some problem in my Bora and it gave better torque lower down and made the new turbo even after the remap feel weak below 1800rpm!
    turbodynamics i think in Sheffield also do hybrids. But from what i;ve heard avoid Allard
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    I don`t know of anyone who has made a hybrid PD170 turbo as the few people i know who have heavily tuned a PD170 have just dump the stock turbo and fitted something much bigger like a GTB2260VK and gone for 300 bhp. Saying that the hybrid you hear most people fit have only had a 56mm wheel fitted in the exhaust side so no reason it cannot be done to a PD170 turbo. To guess at a price to modify a new stock turbo 1300-1500 where as a GTB2260VB can be bought for less then a 1000 but then a new manifold needs to be sorted plus modifications to the down pipe. Companies to email to modify a stock PD170 turbo in England would be Turbo dynamics or CR Turbos which i would go with CR turbos or you can try Finturbo in europe who modified my last turbo and where very good and have a great reputation in the heavy turbo mod group. Other then a turbo and new remap you will need a remap on your DSG box which is the main limiting factor on your car. You can get uprated clutch packs for the dsg box but they are 2000 + to buy before fitting which no doudt JBS has copied buy now or can buy them in from HPA and call them their own. Bosio sale bigger nozzles for your car as well by the way .....
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers for that mate gonna do some enquirin tomorra now I've got the numbers off the turbo

MY PROGRESS THREAD

3rd Gear

Status
    Ive just had a brand new turbo fitted today as mine sounded like a police siren haha was free under warranty from the garage :D should last me a while im just waiting a few days for it to bed in

Status
    You don`t bed in turbos, they either work or brake.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

3rd Gear

Status
    well the garage told me to becareful and give it a couple of days :S ayone else got any thoughts on this?

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    nope, doesnt need to be bedded in, I had 3 so know (and no... they didnt need replacing because I didnt bed in before you say lol)

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    Devonboymikey

Dealers

Air Ride is for Ballers!!

Status
    I camt believe ur turbo is fu**ed after 3 years man, isn't that an issue wiv audi?

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Phatboyruss1 On Twitter Visit Phatboyruss1's Instagram Channel
    Hi all, my turbo has just been replaced with a hybrid just over a week ago (Remapped '53 2.0 tdi sport) and the boost isn't coming in as early as before and also 5th and 6th gear feel lifeless, will I need a new map on the car?

One of the problems I had before was the car going into limp mode (overboost limit exceeded), and the problems back... its done it at around 70-80mph but it did it twice last night once at 30 going uphill in traffic and again at 70 (ish). The cars going back to the garage Saturday morning. Has anyone got any ideas what could be the cause?

Cheers in advance

Status
    You have changed your turbo for one that flows more air so yes of coarse it will need to be mapped properly, that is why the car keeps going into limp mode for.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggins92 View Post
    well the garage told me to becareful and give it a couple of days :S ayone else got any thoughts on this?
    You bed in an engine as there are moving parts that touch each other that need to wear in a smooth surface and harden. A turbo has no moving parts that touch as everything floats on a bed of oil.

4th Gear

Status
    that was long before it failed. I got my from my local tuning comapny who get them from Turbo dynamics. Check them out they do 2 stages for the 170. Stage 1 (http://fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.p...productId=1571) and stage 2 (http://fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.p...productId=1572). I got the stage 2 on mine

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

4th Gear

Status
    aw and on the bedding in thing. you was told to be careful to allow it to oil up properly

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by luke1987 View Post
    I camt believe ur turbo is fu**ed after 3 years man, isn't that an issue wiv audi?
    The manual says you should let it idle for two minutes after running it hard before you turn the engine off th let the turbo cool - otherwise the oil boils and it overheats and causes damage to the bearings.

I'll bet not many people do that... Same with any turbo not just Audi....

I don't see many other cars sat idling at the motorway services when I'm waiting for mine to cool down for a couple of minutes after three hours blasting down the motorway...
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by navnayyar View Post
    that was long before it failed. I got my from my local tuning comapny who get them from Turbo dynamics. Check them out they do 2 stages for the 170. Stage 1 (http://fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.p...productId=1571) and stage 2 (http://fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.p...productId=1572). I got the stage 2 on mine
    Cheers for that buddy
    was it a staraight swap for the old o e and then a map? Also what power are you running now?

MY PROGRESS THREAD

6th Gear

Status
    Hmmm, i was deciding whethe to go down the hybrid route for mine or get something bigger

I'm gonna be taking my car to AMD in Essex soon Chris, i'll let you know what they say about it all
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1988brown View Post
    Cheers for that buddy
    was it a staraight swap for the old o e and then a map? Also what power are you running now?
    yep straight plug and play no need to change anything. Its only the internals that are changed like compressor wheels, bearings etc. Ive got a intercooler on now and running 1.8bar happiliy. still need to get around to getting it on a RR ive only held back because I keep modding it. Am thinking uprated injectors but the quiet expensive. but all I know is that a standard s3 cant pull away from me, so am well chuffed and around town driving easy im getting around 36MPG. love it

Status
    @navnayyar I didn`t realise you had a PD170 ? Bosio do uprated injectors PD170 injectors called PPD i can get you. Go on you know you want to really

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    @navnayyar I didn`t realise you had a PD170 ? Bosio do uprated injectors PD170 injectors called PPD i can get you. Go on you know you want to really
    Na mate i have 140pd bkd. Any recomendations for injectors on that? What flow rate?

Status
    Only uprated injectors out for the PD140 at the moment are Bosio P1287+ which are +25% flow. I have a spare set of nozzles ready fitted in some injector bodies if your interested.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by navnayyar View Post
    yep straight plug and play no need to change anything. Its only the internals that are changed like compressor wheels, bearings etc. Ive got a intercooler on now and running 1.8bar happiliy. still need to get around to getting it on a RR ive only held back because I keep modding it. Am thinking uprated injectors but the quiet expensive. but all I know is that a standard s3 cant pull away from me, so am well chuffed and around town driving easy im getting around 36MPG. love it
    Bloody he'll if ur's has s3 kind of power my 170 should be awsome
    need it all doin this week so gonna get a price on turbo from turbo soloutions who is local and ring local tuner get it sorted n
    hopfully be on the road again next week
    end

MY PROGRESS THREAD

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    You have changed your turbo for one that flows more air so yes of coarse it will need to be mapped properly, that is why the car keeps going into limp mode for.
    I knew it was silly question....

Thanks for the response, much appreciated

Had the codes read and I am getting 2 fault codes come up

19463 Camshaft position sensor (G40) No signal intermittant

16683 Boost pressure regulation:Control range not exceeded.

Guess the cam sensor wouldn't be hepling matters... can it be changed without taking the cambelt off or are the garage trying to add the cambelt swap in?

The car already has a remap on it (before the turbo change), would a live/rolling map be more beneficial and can anyone recommend a company.

Cheers
    Last edited by Phatboyruss1; 25th April 2010 at 18:12. Reason: school boy copy and paste error

Status
    What part of the country do you live ?

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

South Bedfordshire mate

Status
    AMD,Jabba and APS are the main ones that spring to mind. Personally i would go to APS or AMD as Jabba tuned diesel cars always seem to smoke a lot.

3rd Gear

Status
    Stage 2 hybrid sorted 890 all in can't wait to get it fit n maped also gettin dsg map at same time let the fun times begin

MY PROGRESS THREAD

Status
    Thats a good price for a hybrid and 200 cheaper then what Fr+rtuning wanted !

3rd Gear

Status
    Ye mate did what u said n got it through work made a nice differance to the price cant wait too see what it's like the power before was more than enough but with the actuator on the turbo goin I thought I may aswell upgrade while I'm at it will get it on the rollers probs a weeknor two after the map see what she's makin

MY PROGRESS THREAD

Enthusiast

Status
    Do hybrids last longer than the oem units on BKD? I'm just going to replace my old turbo @46.000 miles since it sounds like a meat mincer and it was throwing me overboost errors.
    VCDS USER