Quattro Wheel Balancing

JonRola

Reaction score
I've just had a new rear tyre fitted and I was assured that it didn't need balancing. I know that this is fine on FWD cars but I'd like to know if all wheels should be balanced on a Quattro. As the Quattro is 4WD I'm just a little worried that an unbalanced rear wheel could damage the drivetrain. All the tyres were almost new and of the same make and tread pattern. I did have trouble getting a new tyre to match as no local dealers stocked them (Kenda Kaiser) but I eventually got a great deal on Ebay.
Anyway if anyone has info on the balancing worry I would appreciate it.
Thx.
:weight_lift2:

Personally, and this isn't fact, purely opinion, I would imagine an unbalanced wheel is going to send vibration through the car as the wheel will be unbalanced (and not just the alloy, but to some extent the tyre too).

I've never heard or seen of this practice, it stinks of laziness. Every tyre I've ever owned has been balanced.

I'm not going to suggest it will damage your car, as people run about on worse, I just think it will unsettle the ride, cause juddering and may place extra strain on suspension / drivetrain.

With respect to safety I don't imagine it will affect you significantly. Any reason you have chosen Kenda's; they aren't a conventional choice?

id doubt it would damage, though ialways get wheels balanced, useful for when you do decide to do over 70mph :) id get it balanced anyway though it wont cause damage only displeasure and uncomfort

Regardless of what a tyre fitter says to you, for peace of mind, I would want it checked anyway to see if the alloy had any buckles in it therefore requiring balancing.

I have never owned a wheel that doesn't require balancing

Always remember most tyre fitters either don't know or don't care.

It doesn't matter what wheels are driven - ALL wheels should be balanced. Its mainly the front that is more noticeable because you have a direct connection to them (ie the steering!), unbalanced rears are felt less but it can still shake the car (through the back of the seats etc).

Thx for the replies guys.
Kenda came with the new alloys I bought for my car. They're well known for their m/bike tyres and they're just moving into the car market so they were cheap. I must admit they're much quieter than the originals (can't remember the make) and since my 1st post on this thread I've done a few hundred miles with absolutely no problems - very smooth. I've just had my front discs and pads replaced and I'll soon be having the rears done as well so I'll get the the balances checked while the wheels are off.
Here's a laugh - when I went to pick up my car after getting the fronts done I got into the car and tried to start it. The key wouldn't turn so I turned it the other way (off). It was only then that I realised that the engine had been running but I couldn't hear it - I felt a right prat. That 3.2 V6 is one hell of an engine - I just wish Audi had got the gear ratios right!!

THX again guys....