Is the S-line worth the wait ?

Kriminal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was speaking to a bloke at Germania yesterday (a garage in Newport), asking him if he could keep his eyes peeled for an S-line A3 (and also the specifics that I want, ie. colour etc.).

As soon as I mentioned 's-line' I received one of those 'garage' intakes of breath from him, saying that they'll be hard to get hold off, and asked if I'd accept an SE.

I then stood by my specifics and said I would rather wait for an s-line (as that's what my heart's set on).

But, thinking about it, would the s-line be worth THAT much of the wait that I could be setting myself up for ?

Is there THAT much difference between the S-line, Sport, and SE models, or would you be prepared to have the Sport or SE in the colour you wish for ?

Decisions, Decisions. What would you guys do ?

I will def wait for an s-line mate.too good to miss and too much hassle if you decide to covert an se or sports audi to as s line.Once you own one,you cant look back.

I have an S-Line. If I was in the market for another A3 I would be setting the bar at S-Line. Why? Well, if you're talking about a 2006-2009 S-Line then theres the obvious styling pluses i.e. front end styling, lower suspension, badged hints, rear spoiler/diffuser, S-Line 18" Alloys. Interior wise you'll be getting half leather/full leather and generally a better base of specification. Also, it just looks a bit more aggressive/focused that the sport/SE in my opinion.

Out of the box the S-Line is a good all round package - you'll hear/read some on here berating the suspension but in my opinion it isnt that bad...

If you can wait, I'd wait. There are plenty of S-Lines out there so I cant seeing it being too difficult getting your hands on one.

If you plan on modding the car you buy then consider the other specifications (which you'll likely pick up cheaper) and mod it to your hearts content.

Go see a few at some local dealers and compare the variants... see for yourself :)

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I'd disagree with your garage contact - There always seems to be a fair few up on sites like Autotrader/Pistonheads.

And definately worth the wait (if any).

The S-line looks great. But I'm one of the ones that berates the suspension. I bought a new 'Black Edition' Sportback in January. It's going on friday because I can't live with the uncompromising (which means solid) ride. I've had SRis, GTIs, Sports, etc etc versions of all my previous cars, none made me feel sea sick like the A3 does.

Shame because it looks fantastic, but it's being pensioned off for an A5 Sportback.

Just to say you can also have a look at the A3 Black edition they look :hubbahubba:
its worth it as well but your choice really

I'd wait for the S Line, I did, took me ages to find mine but soo glad I did. Suspension is great, everyone has their own opinions but to me its good! Good luck hunting, there are quite a few out there!

Go looking for one yourself. Dont limit yourself to what garage can get hold of for you! There are plenty about!

In answer to the original question yes its worth the wait. The Sport and SE are boring, I wouldn't entertain them. You've got get an S-line to make the car look and feel interesting!

I'd also wait for the S LINE.

I also took a long time finding my one and I did see a few sheds before I found my one.

You dont want to buy a SE or sport when you are by the lights and a S LINE pulls up beside you.

You going to be kicking yourself.

Good things come to all that waits!!!

Unless you are going to MOD the car to the max then I agree with HELLZ get a cheape SE or sports and go modding crazy.

But out of the box the S LINE is a beaut.

Also the suspension is not that bad, But I did have a HONDA TYPE R before???

If you buy anything less you will start looking at mods and realise how much S line bits cost so you will be better off buying one to start with!

What years/budget you looking at buying?

Thanks for all your replies. I think I just needed to hear from the 'horses mouth', so to speak, exactly if it's worthwhile hanging fire, and you've convinced me. :)

Lee_R : I'm looking for at least an '06, with a budget of a minimum of £13k (but could probably stretch to 14 if the gem came along).

I was a bit like this when looking for the TT - impatient !...lol

Well, thanks again - at least I know I should stick to my guns and aim for nothing less than an S-line. :thumbsup:

There are loads of S lines about for that sort of price!

Defo wait for the s-line, I could not wait and got an SE and am converting it to an s-line and am thinking maybe I should have held out for one