55 2.0TDI - wont start!

phils2000

Reaction score
Hi al,, i'm new to hear and new to audi ownership (not been very positive so far i have to say!). I bought a 55 plate 2.0 tdi sport with 120k on clock 3 months ago and has spent 4 weeks of its 12 weeks with me in the garage and 2 weeks parked up whilst i was on honeymoon. Anyway, after its little time parked up ****** thing will not start. Since i've had it, it suffered serious coolant loss, so had EGR valve replaced and then radiator, now the thing just spins on the starter and wont go!!!

Any ideas to get it going...its next journey is the mini dealership to be traded in, just need to get it going.

All in all, a very unfortunate experience for me with A3 owenership.

any help much appreciated.

Phil.

you Have just bought a car that has been around the world 5 times and then say Audis are not good! surly a service would have been the 1st thing to do after you got the car!

More info on your problem mate? Is the engine turning over with the starter motor or just the starter motor spining?

Gaz

cheers for reply, got it going just now, engine was turning just not firing, hooked it up to another (jump leads) and span it for about 2 mins, it finally spluttered into life....mechanic reckon fuel starvation at 1/4 tank.....

The car was serviced at Audi in november so i felt no need to service it again so soon after, has FASH, 1 owner so in my eyes a good car, just that in 10 weeks of driving it it has been in the garage for 4 of those with various issues, so just a bit burnt so far by audi ownership!

Have you sorted the coolant loss?
Let's hope it is not a porous cylinder head.

coolant loss seemingly sorted, but only driven for a week with new EGR and rad...

the porous head is just wear and tear and to be expected apparently.

Porous head is a design fault in early BKD engines not wear & tear.

coolant loss seemingly sorted, but only driven for a week with new EGR and rad...

the porous head is just wear and tear and to be expected apparently.

I bought a 06 plate with 42k and after the 1st week had a coolant leak - new rad fitted, so don't worry it isn't just you being unlucky

sorry i had a large portion of my tongue in my cheek there....i just got the vide from another thread that serious mechanical failures are to be expected if you are stupid enough to buy a car with 120k on the clock.

I bought an 05 plate with 65k on the clock. Needed new rad in 1st week due to severe coolant loss. Was scared stiff of the 'porous head' problem as it is a BKD engine but new rad solved the problem.

Shoved a bottle of K-Seal in expansion tank anyway and have not needed to top up in 2k miles and 4 months of stop start town driving.

Glad you got it going - now just give it a chance to impress you !

Cheers

120K is nothing on a diesel!!! Most are bomb proof! Some (sadly yours) can and do have issues but overall are good cars. We've had Audis with much higher mileage and had no issues at all. Good luck getting it sorted, give it a chance, you may well get to like it!

120K is nothing on a diesel!!! Most are bomb proof! Some (sadly yours) can and do have issues but overall are good cars. We've had Audis with much higher mileage and had no issues at all. Good luck getting it sorted, give it a chance, you may well get to like it!

Eactly Sarah, Thats what I was sarcasticaly trying to get at! After 120,000 miles and a period of not being driven the car will have a few teething problems which a good service will hopefully sort out along with the odd repair as thing's go wrong.
Phil, I Didnt make out that you had any major problems with your purchase just pointed out that after the milage some things will go wrong from time to time but the cars generaly are good quality, Not owning the Diesel version but having driven plenty I do rate the engine highly.

All the best with your purchase and hopefully it will now be trouble free.

Gaz

We had an Audi coupe, an old J reg girl, 2.3 petrol. Had over 150k on and wow, its was absolutely fantastic, no problems, sweet as a nut and wonderful to drive! Was soo sad to have to part with her, so some are (in my mind) some of the best cars to have. Sure it will get sorted and you will enjoy it!

so long as it last until the day (soon) i trade it in i don't mind. I don;t think i will be keeping it for long....£6k if anyone wants it, 2.0tdi sport (sportback) met grey, MOT oct 10.

I bought my S2K to have fun in, i can't see me getting excited over a diesel, audi or not!....

perhaps i have been a little harsh on the vorsprung durch technik....

it is officially 'on the road' at the moment and not in the garage and the wife said she even 'enjoyed driving it' yesterday.

perhaps i have been a little harsh on the vorsprung durch technik....

it is officially 'on the road' at the moment and not in the garage and the wife said she even 'enjoyed driving it' yesterday.

There you go, light at the end of the tunnel!!! Hope it carries on going well!