Stupid question! Removing number plate?

audi58

Reaction score
Hello, just ordered a personalised plate, could someone please tell me how to get the old ones off? There are no screws? Once off, do I need to re-glue the new ones on or what?? Thanks

Just slowly yank them off and then remove the old bits of glue, fixing tape etc off. Give the area a good clean and attach the new plates back on with some new fixing tape etc etc. Also if it's really difficult to remove, then you could try applying some heat, like using a hair dryer or something.

I tried the tesa strips to hold my plate on. But it was hanging off the next morning.

I bit the bullet and screwed the fecker on

I tried the tesa strips to hold my plate on. But it was hanging off the next morning.

I bit the bullet and screwed the fecker on

Really?! I'm not sure what went wrong there mate but I have used them about 10 times for fitting plates and they're always stuck solid! You do need to push on them for a couple of minutes to get them to really stick I guess.

Really?! I'm not sure what went wrong there mate but I have used them about 10 times for fitting plates and they're always stuck solid! You do need to push on them for a couple of minutes to get them to really stick I guess.

The back one stuck like poop to a blanket with the strips.

I Thought it had stuck fine on the front also, but I found yesterday morning that my plate has started to come off already. Perhaps it is due to the curvature of the front mount, and my sloppiness of not bending the plate first to help it out.

The back one stuck like poop to a blanket with the strips.

I Thought it had stuck fine on the front also, but I found yesterday morning that my plate has started to come off already. Perhaps it is due to the curvature of the front mount, and my sloppiness of not bending the plate first to help it out.

Yeah now you've said that I remember I did have to spend a bit longer on the front one. I think I may have ended up using 4 of them too. Sorry mate.

Thanks guys!

does anyone know how long it takes once you get the Reg Certificate through? I think i've got to go to a DVLA office! Lovely :think:

Should be able to do it in under a week. You will recieve your v750 fairly quickly. Take that as proof and get a plate made. Go to local dvla with you mot and v5. Say thank you and go put your plate on the car. oh, and let your insurance know aswell:)

Take it to a DVLA centre when it isn't busy and you should walk out with all your new documents within minutes! You can post the documents but then you gotta wait weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks :icon_thumright:

Should be able to do it in under a week. You will recieve your v750 fairly quickly. Take that as proof and get a plate made. Go to local dvla with you mot and v5. Say thank you and go put your plate on the car. oh, and let your insurance know aswell:)

oh yeah, insurance! Can't forget that, thanks for all the advice scottie! :happy:

Yeah now you've said that I remember I did have to spend a bit longer on the front one. I think I may have ended up using 4 of them too. Sorry mate.

Dont fret Staz! I used 8 of the strips on the front LMFAO! They would have probably worked better If the tool applying them did it properly :icon_thumright:

i use 3m double sided to stick my metal plates down, does the trick, the red variety not the green, expensive but worth it in the long run

Dont fret Staz! I used 8 of the strips on the front LMFAO! They would have probably worked better If the tool applying them did it properly :icon_thumright:

EIGHT?! That's supposed to hold 8kg!! lol