AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Vibrating clutch

When I'm setting off in 1st there's a bit of vibrating on the clutch pedal until I've taken my foot off the clutch. Gear changes are good & biting point isn't high. It's on 37K miles 55 plate. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Strider

Status
    Mine does the same-no idea what it is??

Set of Genuine Titanium look RS4 style 18" wheels for sale-excellent condition. PM me!!

Bluefinned-all possible options apart from folding mirrors. Handling mods to come!!
    A3 2.0tdi 170 Quattro S-line. Bluefinned-GONE!!

Ex-Corrado G60 Nut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by panamadi View Post
    Mine does the same-no idea what it is??
    Mine's the same. My friend was an Audi salesman, so is good for honest advice. He said that if you drive them hard you'll get this vibration, but if you drive smoothly for a while, it'll smooth out again. They used to see it a lot. Can't tell you if that works, as I can't help but drive it hard :-)
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line Sportback in Lava Grey

5th Gear

Status
    Clutch & DMF problem?
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emzino View Post
    Clutch & DMF problem?
    Nobody on this forum seems to know how to diagnose DMF though

4th Gear

Status
    when your switching engine off from neutral does it vibrate? Now try this again but have your clutch dipped? the engine shouldnt shake when clutch is engaged. If it vibrates when in neutral and switching off, then flywheel

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

2nd Gear

Status
    Well this is very informative.... I've had the issue recently too. What my mechanic told me is that when you drive the car hard and you overheat the flywheel and clutch you can get hotspots and minor warping on the flywheel. He claims it's not a critical issue if you can live with the vibration. Guy is usually eerily precise in his diagnoses so I am inclined to trust him on this one, but not being a mechanic myself I'm obviously just passing on hearsay.

Enthusiast

Status
    I've got that issue too on my 2.0tdi.

Is there any way to avoid it? The clutch and flywheel were changed 2months ago!
    VCDS USER

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon001 View Post
    Well this is very informative.... I've had the issue recently too. What my mechanic told me is that when you drive the car hard and you overheat the flywheel and clutch you can get hotspots and minor warping on the flywheel. He claims it's not a critical issue if you can live with the vibration. Guy is usually eerily precise in his diagnoses so I am inclined to trust him on this one, but not being a mechanic myself I'm obviously just passing on hearsay.
    That's normally described a clutch "judder", the flywheel surface becomes uneven due to the hotspots where the clutch has superheated the metal, hardened it and changed the characteristics of the metal causing judde. I think it's common for vibration through the pedal and from what I can ascertain it's related to the dual mass flywheel must have "play" in it.