How to stop dash lighting up when the headlights are OFF? VAGCOM?

c_w

Reaction score
I've notice a curious thing with the A3, it may be a common thing with VAG cars I'm not sure; the dash (speedo etc) cluster lights up on it's own and it makes it appear that you have turned the lights on (or is it always lit up, just that in the day you can't see it?? Though I'm sure sometimes its not lit up in slightly duller conditions). It seems a strange thing to me, since why would you want the dials lit up without headlights on, as it makes you assume you have lights on!

Our previous car had auto lights, so at dusk the lights would come on and so would the dash lights. As far as I can see the Audi doesn't have auto lights but you could be mistaken to think you had lights on because the dashboard (speedo/rev etc) is lit up even though you have no lights on! Can this be altered perhaps in VAGCOM? so that the dash never lights up unless at least side lights are switched on?

Last edited:
I prefer the dials lit up, so i often drive with my sidelights on

I'm sure there must be something in VAGCOM to change it

Reactions: audiwaterpump
This is a translation from the OpenODB website created by Sebastian Stange (some English info but for the Cluster Info I have had to use GoogleTranslate, to translate from German to English).

(Instrument cluster
}​
)
Steuergerät Codierung
Control Module Coding
STG 17 (Kombiinstrument) auswählen
STG 17 (instrument cluster) select
STG Codierung -> Funktion 07
STG coding -> Function 07
00??xxx : Restcodierung
00?? Xxx: residual coding
+01 - 2-te Tankkennlinie bzw. Quattrocodierung​
+01 - 2-th Tankkennlinie or Quattrocodierung
+02 - Highline ohne FIS (für Midline - Automatik ohne FIS)​
+02 - High Line without FIS (for Midline - Automatic without FIS)
+04 - Handschalter bzw. Kupplungsfahrzeug (nicht Midline)​
+04 - Handset or vehicle clutch (not midline)
00xx?xx : Ländervariante
00xx xx?: Country version
0 - Deutschland (D)
0 - Germany (D)
1 - Rest der Welt (RdW - Linkslenker)
1 - Rest of World (ROW - left handed)
2 - USA (US)
2 - United States (U.S.)
3 - Kanada (CDN)
3 - Canada (CDN)
4 - Grossbritanien (GB - Rechtslenker)
4 - Great Britain (GB - RHD)
5 - Japan (JP - Linkslenker)
5 - Japan (JP - LHD)
6 - Arabische Staaten​
6 - Arab States
7 - Australien (AUS)
7 - Australia (AUS)
8 - Rest der Welt (RdW - Rechtslenker)
8 - rest of world (ROW - right hand drive)
9 - Japan (JP - Rechtslenker)
9 - Japan (JP - RHD)
00xxx?x : Gurtwarnung
00xxx? X: Seat belt warning
keine Gurtwarnung
No Seat belt warning
Gurtwarnung Europa-NCAP
Seat belt warning Euro-NCAP
Optische dauerhafte Warnung, Akustische Warnung für 91 Sekunden aktiv.
Optical permanent warning, Audible warning for 91 seconds active.
Gurtwarnung USA und Kanada alt
Seat belt warning USA and Canada old
Optische und akustische Warnung für 6 Sekunden
Optical and acoustic warning for 6 seconds
Gurtwarnung USA und Kanada NAR neu
Seat belt warning USA and Canada, new NAR
Optische dauerhafte Warnung, Akustische Warnung alle 30 Sekunden
Optical permanent warning, Audible warning every 30 seconds
Gurtwarnung Europa-NCAP (einschl. Beifahrer)
Seat belt warning Euro-NCAP (incl. passenger)
Optische dauerhafte Warnung, Akustische Warnung für 91 Sekunden aktiv
Optical permanent warning, Audible warning for 91 seconds active
Gurtwarnung USA und Kanada alt (einschl. Beifahrer)
Seat belt warning USA and Canada old (incl. passenger)
Optische und akustische Warnung für 6 Sekunden
Optical and acoustic warning for 6 seconds
Gurtwarnung USA und Kanada NAR neu (einschl. Beifahrer)
Seat belt warning USA and Canada NAR new (incl. passenger)
Optische dauerhafte Warnung, Akustische Warnung alle 30 Sekunden
Optical permanent warning, Audible warning every 30 seconds
00xxxx? : Beleuchtungsoptionen
00xxxx?: Lighting Options
Hinweis : Die Optionen 4-9 stehen erst ab MJ 2005 zur Verfügung.
Note: Options 4-9 are available only from MY 2005.
Ab MJ 2005 ist bei den Optionen 0-4 ist die Kontrolleuchte für Standlicht AUS und bei den Optionen 5-9 ist die Kontrolleuchte für Standlicht EIN.
From MY 2005 is at the options 0-4 is the parking light warning light OFF, Options 5-9, the indicator light for parking lights ON.
0 - Zeiger und Skalen AUS (bei Kl.15 Ein und Kl.58 Aus)
0 - pointers and scales off (at a terminal 15 and Kl.58 Off)
1 - Zeiger EIN, Skalen AUS (bei Kl.15 Ein und Kl.58 Aus)
1 - A pointer, scale OFF (at terminal 15 A and Kl.58 Off)
2 - Zeiger AUS, Skalen EIN (bei Kl.15 Ein und Kl.58 Aus)
2 - hands off, scale A (at a terminal 15 and Kl.58 Off)
3 - Zeiger und Skalen EIN (2. Dimmkennlinie - Kl.15 Ein / Kl.58 Aus)
3 - pointers and Scales ON (2nd dimming characteristic - terminal 15 A / Kl.58 Off)
4 - Zeiger und Skalen EIN (ohne 2. Dimmkennlinie - Kl. 15 / Kl. 58 Aus)
4 - A pointer and scale (2nd dimming characteristic - Cl 15 / Cl 58 from without)
5 - Zeiger und Skalen AUS (bei Kl.15 Ein und Kl.58 Aus)
5 - Pointers and scales off (at a terminal 15 and Kl.58 Off)
6 - Zeiger EIN, Skalen AUS (bei Kl.15 Ein und Kl.58 Aus)
6 - A pointer, scale OFF (at terminal 15 A and Kl.58 Off)
7 - Zeiger AUS, Skalen EIN (bei Kl.15 Ein und Kl.58 Aus)
7 - hands off, scale A (at a terminal 15 and Kl.58 Off)
8 - Zeiger und Skalen EIN (2. Dimmkennlinie - Kl.15 Ein / Kl.58 Aus)
8 - Pointers and Scales ON (2nd dimming characteristic - terminal 15 A / Kl.58 Off)
9 - Zeiger und Skalen EIN (ohne 2. Dimmkennlinie - Kl. 15 / Kl. 58 Aus)
9 - Pointers and Scales ON (2nd dimming characteristic - Cl 15 / Cl 58 from without)
Steuergerät Anpassung
Control adjustment

Thanks, looks like it could be a setting in that last block!

i think i heard that there is a light sensor at the cluster so when it gets dark outside it (in a tunnel) will light up briefly so that you can see the dash. I dont have the auto rain/lights pack but i notice that the cluster lights up for a few secs when i go into a tunnel, but if i am in a long tunnel it just goes dark after a while and i only have the red dials lit up. I actually prefer the lights to come on and am now thinking of getting the auto lights/rain sensor installed.

Yes there is a light sensor in the speedo, when the ambient gets a bit dark it will light up the dash lighting. The lights stay off until you see the green headlight icon lit up on the cluster.

Hope that helps.

This makes sense as sometimes I've noticed the dash not lit up and then sometimes is, must depend on the lighting conditions. However, my car does not have auto lights so I think it's a bit of a strange setup.

you can also set what you want lit via vagcom, ie if you dont want the needle lit when your sidelights are on

Apologies for the thread hijack but anyone know how to code the instrument cluster not to light up until the headlights are turned on? They are on from when the ignition is turned.

I have auto lights and my query is related to MY2010

Thanks

Apologies for the thread hijack but anyone know how to code the instrument cluster not to light up until the headlights are turned on? They are on from when the ignition is turned.

I have auto lights and my query is related to MY2010

Thanks

Your car is coded like that from the factory but it can be changed in vcds. Not sure why you would want to though if you have Auto headlights...

Yes there is a light sensor in the speedo, when the ambient gets a bit dark it will light up the dash lighting. The lights stay off until you see the green headlight icon lit up on the cluster.

Hope that helps.

Its actually the other way around. When the ambient light drops the dials go dark so the driver know to turn the lights on...

you go into the instrument cluster coding and change the last number to 3 to make it dim at night to remind you to turn on the lights
code it to 4 to have the lights permanently on

Iv set mine do that the needles are always lit, I like seeing the needle sweep at night with just the needles lit!

Your car is coded like that from the factory but it can be changed in vcds. Not sure why you would want to though if you have Auto headlights...
Thanks,

Apologies if ive not made myself clear... Yes I have auto lights so when lights turn on automatically so should the instrument cluster backlight.... However in my case (and from factory) instrument cluster back light is on permanently and What i want is only the instrument cluster to turn on when lights are (automatically) turned on.

Its actually the other way around. When the ambient light drops the dials go dark so the driver know to turn the lights on...

I have auto lights and it does this even when the switch is set to auto. Is this normal?

I would've thought that if the lights were set to Auto with just the DRL's on, that when the light fades, the cluster wouldn't go dark as the dipped lights would be activated automatically?

I'm not sure but the combination of dials being lit and DRLs causes issues IMO. Just last night I'm on the motorway at 8pm and 5-series in front with no (tail) lights on. Driving alongside I can see his dash fully lit and his LED DRLs blazing at the front (so he can probably see the reflection of these on cars in front so assumes they're on).

But as we know DRLs, especially LED ones from AUDI/MERC/BMW/CITREON/PORSCHE etc are very bright and blinding at night/dusk. Surely it should be law (much like the HID having to have levelling/washers) that cars fitted with DRLs must have auto lights that switch on normal/proper lights at dusk/dark??