Door problem!

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
The passenger door on my car is catching when open/shutting.

I've managed to narrow it down to the actual door lock and where it meets the catch that is attached to the car body.
It looks as though either the lock is slightly too low or the catch is slightly too high. Only by millimeters thoughs.
I don't think the door is out of position as all the gaps look equal and pretty much the same as the driver's same.

Looked to see if there is a way to adjust either the lock's position or the catch's position but it needs a multipoint screwdriver sort of thing to loosen the bolts?!

Anyone know the extact tool required to loosen these and where I might be able to pick one up?

Also, anybody ever mucked about with either the lock of the catch before??

:icon_thumright:

Usually if the door has not dropped, you adjust the catch on the body of the car. I've not done it on my A3 but usually it would be a Torx bolt holding the catch in place (can't confirm that as the A3 is at home).

Paul

Here are some pics of the bolts in catch and door lock (the last two are taken sideways)...

lock1.jpg

lock2h.jpg

lock3a.jpg

The adjustment is definately done on the catch side and not the door lock, the lines are reference points when adjusting them.

Pretty sure that is the same as the Golf and a Torx bolt.

I will take a look at mine tonight.

Paul

In order to work out if the catch on the body work needs to go up or down, shut the door with some downwards pressure and then some upwards pressure. One way should make the problem worse and the other easier due to slight tolerances in the hinges.
Mark the original position of the catch on the bodywork with pen on something like white electrical insulation tape as when you loosen it it may move down on its own and then you need a reference point to get it back to where you started.
It is also worth putting a tiny bit of grease on the catch.

prt57