3 door or sportback - which is best? (no TV Burp-style fight!)

sunscreemer

Back with the 4 rings
Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, i don't wish to upset anyone - it's simply my opinion, but....

What is the general view on which looks best, 3 door models or the sportback?

Getting an allowance, rather than a company car, i'm not restricted so i chose a 3 door as i personally think they look far better, The sportback to me just doesn't look right, perhaps due to the proportions - the rear window behind the rear door should be longer like the A4 avant.

Just wondered if the majority who went for the sportback felt the same and chose these as they had to have a 5 door model?

To appease sport back owners i do like the real light clusters ;-)

Cheers,

Mark

I prefer the 3 door version - cleaner lines, I think the rear doors on the sportback just don't look quite right... seems to spoil the lines and look awkward. If I had to get a 5 door car, I'd probably consider the BMW 1 series - looks better in the 5 door incarnation than the sportback does imo...

I prefer the 3 door version - cleaner lines, I think the rear doors on the sportback just don't look quite right... seems to spoil the lines and look awkward. If I had to get a 5 door car, I'd probably consider the BMW 1 series - looks better in the 5 door incarnation than the sportback does imo...

Thats the most rubbish I've ever heard, the sportback is clearly the nicest looking 5 door hatch in the vag range and FAR better looking than a 1 series, all other models just simply have 2 extra doors on the back, where as the sportback has a completley different rear end, hence why I bought it! If you need 3 door, get a 3 door, if u need 5 door, get a sportback, simple!

img00165201003212231.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

End of argument! :wub:

Last edited:
I've got a 3-door Sport model. With the Sportback I think it looks best in Sport trim or better (ie S-Line etc), and slightly gawky in SE/smaller wheels/higher suspension that doesn't really affect the 3-door in those specs.

The 3dr ironically looks of course more "sporty" than the Sportback, HOWEVER I think the Sportback version still looks good and is subjectively more modern. Go in a showroom and the 3-door A3 looks out of place amongst the current range (A4/A5/A6 etc) IMO (the rear half) since the design is essentially 7 years old, but the 5-door Sportback incorporates a slightly more modern/current design of the rear end for current Audi estates and thus doesn't.

They both look great on the road though!

Last edited:
3 door for me.

Agree with c_w, the SB has to be the right colour/wheel/spec combo to look nice.

IMO the main advantage of the SB over other 5dr hatches is that you can give it the `mini avante` look if you spec the roofrails.
IBIS with panoramic roof,optics and anthracite wheels would be my spec choice for a SB.

cheers
Paul

Personally I prefer the stretched look of the Sportback, it's not as long as an estate and its not a chopped hatchback (so its perfect!) I don't like the rear end of the 3 door, especially the tail-lights.

I love both, each have a different look. The 3 door can look sportier but seeing guys pics of their sportbacks on here then you have to admit some are fantastic looking. The sportbacks lights are better as the 3 doors look dated but hey overall when tinkered with, the 3 door is ace!

Sportback no question IMO. As for SB "not looking quite right" with 5 doors..........hmmmm, entitled to our own opinions I suppose
Yes 3 door is nice but rear end is looking a bit dated, needs revised to look similar to SB.

funny that everyone seems to vote that their car looks better!! i.e sportback owners reckon lights make the whole look of the car!!
Yeah its another case of horses for courses-and looks are subjective.

IMHO apart from the back lights the 3door does indeed look better (cleaner lines and no funny little quarterlight window) and YES i have the 3 door butat the time of buying, I thought about getting the 5 door for about ooooh..30 seconds..

I have a 3 dr and i love the SB!! Not a fan of 3 door cars unless you consider them 2 seater's which is what i do. My rear seats are brand new! If i had the money i would trade in for a SB now. I think they look far better and of course way more practical for someone with friends or a family. It is of course personal preference but to me modern 3 door cars just look like there is something missing and the S3 is one of the best examples. (If you wondering my 3 door S3 was VERY cheap).

I have a 3dr and have no kids or any need for a 5 dr but N8's car is so nice, it has me turned!

To be completley honest, majority of my friends who don't own Audis say, that my car looks better than the 3 door, haha!

Thats 'cos its very nice! When are the side skirts being fitted or is that a summer job??

I was torn between both TBH when ordering, but needed the buckets, (and have two kids) buckets and kids in the back is too much of a mess on IMO, so it was a no brainer for me.

As for looks, again its a strange one for me. I prefer the Sportback when modded - standard I think they're a bit ugly if I'm honest. Too tall and have their ar#e stuck up in the air and just dont look right. However when done right think they look the dogs, (but I am biased :) ).

Definately agree that they need the roof rails and also look wrong in certain colour combos.

The 3 door however I think look ok as standard.

And then to open up another can of worms I prefer the more rounded look of the pre-faclift front end bumper and bonnet lines, but prefer the facelift headlights with the 'proper' DRL's :yum:

So for me the perfect combo, S3 Sportback - Sprint blue with lots of shiney bits and roof rails, prefacelift front end, with facelift headlights (I know they wouldnt fit), with 09 onwards ar#e, sat down low with the right wheels. What a combo :moa:

No question for me. I dont need the extra 2 doors at all but its the rear clusters and the mini estate look that do it for me.

SB all the way!

I've just got my 2nd 3dr but I have to admit I love the sportback!! I didn't go for it as I have no reasons for 5 doors...

The facelift rear lights on the sportback are stunning and really make the car... You can tell instantly with the facelift rears but I still struggle with the 3dr even though I've had old and now the facelift..

Paul

3 door for me looks much nicer, if you need a 5 door than it would be a MKV Golf in my opinion (now goes and hides behind a pillow where N8 can't find me lol)

funny that everyone seems to vote that their car looks better!! i.e sportback owners reckon lights make the whole look of the car!!
Yeah its another case of horses for courses-and looks are subjective.

Lol that seems to be just you so far!! :p

I like both. If I had a family I would go for the Sportback just to make it easier getting kids in and out of the back.

Not sure if its been mentioned but in terms of space you gain nothing in buying a Sportback. Boot space is nigh on identical and the rear leg room is the same as the 3 door too. Its just got the practicality of the extra doors.

I preferred the 3 door when i was buying, but recently i find myself liking the SB more and more

I like both. If I had a family I would go for the Sportback just to make it easier getting kids in and out of the back.

Not sure if its been mentioned but in terms of space you gain nothing in buying a Sportback. Boot space is nigh on identical and the rear leg room is the same as the 3 door too. Its just got the practicality of the extra doors.

Agree 110% ... On the looks side of things I'd say level par. But as I said above, SB does look stunning modded (well as standard too) ...

If you can notice 68mm of extra legroom then I would not like to be stuck talking to you at a party :faint:

I have the 3 door, my Dad has the Sportback. There is nothing noticeable between the cars in terms of space.

I personally have a SB but i bought it mostly for the ease of having rear doors. I do like the 3 door S3 or even a nicely modified 3 door A3 but some 3 doors look too boy racer to me, where the SB is a more 'Grown up' car In my opinion (no offence to anyone)

But if you look at a nicely modded SB can you honestly say it doesn't make you drool?

Actually 68mm probably has quite a difference in terms of legroom. It's often amazing how the small measurements in a cars interior can have a big difference.

Am quite enjoying monitoring this debate. I did look at both when ordering, partly because moving from my Eos i fancied the panoramic roof, but when it came down to it i just preferred the look of the 3 door, especially with the privacy glass, which to me didn't look quite right on the sportback. I think from some of the pics here that the sportback suits some colours more than others. I agree the rear lights on it are of a more modern design and sit with the avant range, but i do like the old school light design on the 3 door but with the smart looking square lights inside. Am not a massive fan of modified cars, but some of the sportback mods seem to improve it's looks.

When it comes down to it i think i almost exclusively prefer any 3 door look to a 5 door look as i like the longer doors.

I like both, but wish Audi had done something slightly more trick with the rear door handles to make the extra door handles look less fussy. The Leon has it's rear door handles integrated into the rear window area so you can't see them giving a much smoother line down the side of the car.

I prefer the SB rear lights, no question. There is an immense ibis S3 SB 2010 at our dealers with a black roof and it looks the $h1t.

That said, as I have no intention of spawning offspring I just didn't see the need for the extra doors. It just encourages passengers I don't want or need (and thats unnecessary weight!)

If you can notice 68mm of extra legroom then I would not like to be stuck talking to you at a party :faint:

70mm would normally translate to a noticeable difference in terms of interior space. Also as an example, just imagine how much difference if you lowered the car 70mm! big difference!

Good choice!!

Hot hatches were never meant to have 5 doors!! :undwech:
Just kidding-it's down to personal choice as I said before..

I have the 3 door, my Dad has the Sportback. There is nothing noticeable between the cars in terms of space.

I notice the difference, if I was talking to you at a party Matt, I wouldn't be talking about rear legroom in an A3 sportback would I? You breast.