TDi 140 with a Limp!

audi-prof

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've had a squint on the search but cant find anything with the same problems to mine.

On a long run today from Oban on the west coast back up to Aberdeen and about 1.5hrs in after cruising along just around 60mph i put the foot down a little to get her up a hill, next thing i knew it went into limp mode and would not accelerate, there were no warnings on the DIS. I pulled over and turned her off for a few minutes and once i restarted everything seemed fine. Then about an hour later i was overtaking in 6th, and hit limp mode again, like before no error messages in the DIS. Pulled over and then restarted again, same as before.

The car is a 53 plate TDi Sport with only 61k on the clock. I could be imagining it since i've had problems but i could swear that the turbo chatter sounds different when changing gear. Made it home no probs but intentionally held back from any full throttle openings. I've only had the car 8 months, and to be honest i've always felt its harder on fuel than i expected, only achieving 42mpg on a motorway run from aberdeen to edinburgh on friday, dont know if this could be related?? My previous car was a Focus ST and she could achieve high 30s on a similar run, and it was a properly thirsty bitch!

I've noticed other threads from years ago mention potential turbo vane problems but these seemed to be on far higher mileage cars. I just got the A3 to release some funds for a house purchase and was planning to change cars again soon so would rather not have a big bill coming my way!

might be a split hose some where, but then i would exspect it to do it all the time,

i have a 53 plate same engine, i get between 50-55mpg on motorways

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I have an 04 140 TDI and have been having some problems too. I thought mine was to do with the MAF being dirty/needing replacing.

How do I know if my car is in 'limp' mode. I'm guessing it means reduced power, but what actually happens? My car sometimes judders a bit/holds back over about 2.5k revs but have been waiting to take the MAF out and clean it first. Slightly worried after reading this post!

Have it scanned if it is going into limp mode, as others have posted, I would hazard a good guess at stick vanes.

My mate is a mechanic and he has changed plenty at around that milage.

As I said to him, plenty of experiance for when mine goes (67K currently)

Paul

Last edited:
Cheers for the responses guys.

She is in at the Dr's just now having her mind read. They seem to think the turbo is over boosting which is causing it to cut out.

Hi,

I had a similar scenario when i use to own a mk 4 golf tdi. Traveling up a hill, if i putmy foot down it would kick the car into limp mode. Ignition on adn off to reset limp mode, everything would be fine until it happened again. I got the car hooked up to the software and it turned out to be a sensor which controlled the injector/mixture of fuel i think... Basically £40 sensor fixed everything !!

My advice would be to get it hooked up to vag com and get the fault code, sure it will be a cheap sensor fix ! here's hoping