Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Lost In The Countryside

Status

2005 A3 8P1 Headlights

Been having trouble trying to get a set of HID kits to fit my 2005 A3.

The dipped bulb keeps hitting the shield when trying to install & I don’t want to force it out the way to disturb the beam distribution. Has anyone else got round this problem?

Or can I get a set of Xenon headlights from another car & fit them, will they just be a straight plug & play?

Cheers,

Mic

Evo 6 GSR/RS Project Under Re-Fresh - Last Spec 500bhp & 420 l/b @ 1.6 Bar

2. # ADS
    ADS

(●̮̮̃•̃) (●̮̮̃•̃)

Status
    Mate, I would seriously do a bit of research into this.

It has been a well documented problem that aftermarket hid's will blow your wiper motor, and it aint a cheap repair.

Your best bet would be and try and pick up an oem pair from a A3 and fit them.

6th Gear

Status
    yup, use the search & read all the relevent issues.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Gievf Buckets

Status
    going oem takes a lot of work but its worth it, finantially too in the long run

2nd Gear

Status
    If you do decide to go aftermarket... make sure you NEVER.... EVER turn on your wipers and lights at the same time. Wait till the HID's are fully warmed up before using your wipers. After several years of wrangling with the issue this is so far the best solution we have been able to come up with... Digital ballasts reduce the chance of a blowout happening but don't solve the issue, as do the CanBus modules.

In regards to your more immediate problem though... I have never heard of this happening, are you sure you have the appropriate bulb for your housing??? Also it would probably help to know what housing/HID kit/Bulbs you are using if someone here is to help you out.

Good luck anyways...

Lost In The Countryside

Status
    Cheers for the info folks, I am using Virtual Daylight HID's in the car with the control units to stop the light coming up on the dash.

I did ask Audi to price up swapping the headlights in the car but the wouldn’t give me a price & just said Ł2-3k to do it.

By the sounds of it the best option will be to buy OE headlights & install them, friend is an Auto Electrician so will help there with the wiring.

Evo 6 GSR/RS Project Under Re-Fresh - Last Spec 500bhp & 420 l/b @ 1.6 Bar

1st Gear

Status
    Some of the h7 kits have different length glass bulb sections which can foul the shield, a few friends who did hid kits on Porsche 996/986 models years ago had the same issue. Just another thing you have to check before buying a kit.

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Firstly you want to make sure your HID bulbs are the H7R type (not normal H7), the R stands for reflector and means it's suitable for use in a reflector housing. The bulb has a ceramic coating on the the bulb to control the beam. Further to this, you want to use a "short" H7R HID bulb, this is the best one to use as the arc/light source is in similar/same position as the original halogen filmanet. This both keeps the beam pattern similar/same and also the shortness means it doesn't interfere with the "umbrella" on the end sat in the housing.

Kits like these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-conv...item35a45722ed

http://www.parkingsensoronline.co.uk...ers-p-346.html

Interestingly the usual perception is that projector type housings are the ONLY way you can properly fit HID bulbs but Renault Lagunas and Volvos amongst others use HID xenon lights in reflector housings.

However the wiper motor seems to be a big issue, some people going through motors frequently, some never failing at all, I have no experience of any HID kits on A3s though!