3-door vs. Sportback

moralkombat

Reaction score
As the days go by I'm wasting precious time before putting in my order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I'm getting really stuck and was wondering what you lot thought.

Purpose of Car; Daily Driver, must be somewhat practical / Weekend Warrior, I want her to be fun (read tuning and ideally supercharging her) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif, and look classy (read some degree of aftermarket styling) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

What I know; 3.2 V6, Quattro DSG, SE (I think, haven't gotten to drive an s-line yet, but from previous posts i think it might be too stiff), options for the most part decided but defferent deppending on bodystyle.

What I don't know; Body Style (It is the subject so I suppose its self evident)

What worries me;
1. I like the new grille (I know it doesn't suit everyone but i like it) I realize this look (similar at least)can be accomplished through the aftermarket on a 3-door but its seems about as expensive as the difference between bodystyles.

2. I am concerned about the difficulty described / design flaws for the seat folding system described in other posts. As I will have more then one passenger perhaps 10-25% of the time.

3. As far as I know there are as of now no sunroof options on the Sportsback which especially if you opt for an s-line means a very dark interior.

4. Then I have seen a few body kits (oettinger, votex, abt, etc) for the Sportsback but worry that the larger body and the obvious inclusion of 2 more doors make it look a little too much like that nasty Dodge cross-over thing. (pic below, sorry to sully the forum with it)

5. Also, I am curious if anyone has noticed a performance difference stemming from different wheel base etc.

Also if after reading this, red lights go off and, you think, "He'd be happier with a 2.0t" let me know.

Thanks in advance for your input /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If tuning is all you want, go for the 2,0T. As for question nr. 5, there's no difference between wheel bases, both Sportback and 3 door have the same 2578mm.

If you have 25% of the time more than one passenger, why even consider 3 door? That's almost like having a taxi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

The 3dr would look more sporty if modified, but probably not as practical - the Sportback has more rear passenger room and a larger boot.

I'm biased of course (I have a Sportback on order) but I'd chose the Sportback - they'll have better residual values and if you do decide to modify, you'll be one of the first to do so. Plus the new grille will filter on to the 3dr anyway next year.

benw123, puf the added "rear passenger room" is quite minimal (3cm?), and the "larger boot" is only advertise, there's no difference in the back (330l vs. 350l).

I don't see a reason why 5-door would keep it's value better, I can't see such with previous version of A3.

- Yak

The 3 door has had a years headstart on the 5 door so initially there will be far fewer 5 doors available on the secondhand market, therefore a small premium may exist for now. That premium will disappear once a healthy supply of 5 doors makes it into the used car market.

[ QUOTE ]
Yak said:
benw123, puf the added "rear passenger room" is quite minimal (3cm?), and the "larger boot" is only advertise, there's no difference in the back (330l vs. 350l).

I don't see a reason why 5-door would keep it's value better, I can't see such with previous version of A3.

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair point Yak, but five-door versions of the previous-generation A3 have always retained more value than three-doors, and this is set to continue. This isn't opinion; it's according to the editorial in CAP, the motor trade-only price guide.

And yes, the extra space in the back seat and boot is minimal, but 3cm is still more than an inch extra legroom - subtle, but noticeable. Not forgetting of course you don't have to fold the front seat forward to have to access it!

The 2.0 T engine from all accounts is a cracker both in the A3 and the new GTi. Accleration is supposed to be sweet across the band from 2000 through 5000 revs with plenty of poke to boot. Slightly lower insurance group and better mileage (although if you're considering the 3.2 you probably couldn't give a stuff). There'll probably be a nice AMD tuning option to get the 2.0T up to the output of the 3.2 in the not too distant future... 3 doors are a total pain in the ****, in terms of back seat accessibility, for mine and the difference in the two in terms of stying is minimal, save for the grille which I actually like as well. I might be biased as I have a sportback on order too but apparently the Quattro version I have also limits the boot space even further so the difference in boot space b/w sportback quattro and 3 dr is probably close to nothing. I agree that even 1 inch in the back seat is significant. I'm about 6 foot and found the backseat reasonably spacious in the showroom. Might get a bit ansy on a 3 hour+ drive though...