AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Heavy DERV clatter

Status

Condensation in side indicator...

My drivers side indicator (wing mounted) is constantly full of condensation. tried removing it and drying it out but after a few days just seems to come back.

I'm guessing the seal on the rubber part that the bulb connects to maybe dodgy? I've heard you can use silicone sealant or maybe i should just replace the whole thing.

any people getting the same thing or fixed a similar issue? tis doin me 'ed in

2. # ADS
    ADS

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Have used silicone and it worked

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Heavy DERV clatter

Status
    what type did you use and how did you apply said stuff, just where the rubber contacts the assembly?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ideally you need to find where the issue is 1st as removing the unit is a pig as bumper has to come of mostly & its bolted to the wing which is a pita to get to, you could stick sealant round the unit joints as its a 2 piece unit with sealant to hold together.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Heavy DERV clatter

Status
    Thanks for the advice but I think we maybe talking 2 different parts? do you mean the main indicator assembly, Im only talking about the small side indicator, already removed it a few times and dried it out. just pops off.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Some I have got from halfords, cant remember the name. Have used Tiger Seal and the Winscreen seal on areas that cant be seen. Messy stuff though but it stays flexible.
    Last edited by Sarah's A3; 10th April 2010 at 00:44.

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Heavy DERV clatter

Status
    thanks Sarah I'll give it a whirl.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltempo View Post
    Thanks for the advice but I think we maybe talking 2 different parts? do you mean the main indicator assembly, Im only talking about the small side indicator, already removed it a few times and dried it out. just pops off.
    Sorry mate, was reading 10 threads at once, stick some superglue round the indicator plastic moulding joins 1st & see if this helps, indicators are fairly small so using a sealant may get messy & cause fitment issues, use that as a secondary option.

Heavy DERV clatter

Status
    no probs, had me a little confused there for a sec thanks will def try this first. so just to clarify the superglue would be applied to the actual light housing where the dark plastic meets the clear?

6th Gear

Status
    I had this problem too, its not the rubber bulb surround at all, its gaps where the clear plastic matches the surrounds so like Nige said, seal that bit. I got lucky and won a brand new one off ebay for 99p and it hasnt been a problem since. All i can think of is that the plastics arent completely sealed together so when you get some cold weather it opens up slightly.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltempo View Post
    so just to clarify the superglue would be applied to the actual light housing where the dark plastic meets the clear?
    Yes where the 2 plastics join in the moulds would be my 1st call & test

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    I had this problem too, its not the rubber bulb surround at all, its gaps where the clear plastic matches the surrounds so like Nige said, seal that bit. All i can think of is that the plastics arent completely sealed together so when you get some cold weather it opens up slightly.
    Yeah I'd go with that mate, seen these issues before on headlights aswell & funny enough went into me local audi today & went into workshop to see 1 of the guys heating up a rear lense to clear any damp as this had the condensation issues & as these dont have the sealant to stick them together but are 2 plastic parts moulded together, then I'd say this also had the same problem as your indicator, mate there said we have to heat the lense up to clear any condensation, then if it returns within 2 months, only then will audi replace it, if nothing for 2 months they wont swap out.

The fact it takes 1 hour + to do means nothing, considering the time cost is more than the poxy lense huh, way to go audi.