Calling all TDi owners!

rickyquicky

Reaction score
Drove round to the shops a little while ago (15 minutes there and back) and when I parked up thought id lift up the bonnet to have a nosey around due to the engine 'shaking' issue ive been having.

Anyways, the engine wasnt doing it so I thought id make the effort worthwhile lol and started checking fluid levels etc.

Anyway, took my oil filler cap off and theres a tiny bit of smoke coming out. Is this normal or have I got another problem with my car!!?

Anyone else with TDi noticed this? Engine was fully up to temperature btw, and there wasnt any mayo etc before anyone suggests head!

Oh no lol, I turned the engine off before I took the oil cap off!

All I wanna know is if its normal when the cars up to temperature, im thinking its hot oil, surely it will smoke, but then again, im worried about everything on my car at the moment!

sorry to hijack the thread ... but... here's another one thats been bothering me a little bit... recently when I've been switching the engine off after a good run I've been hearing a pretty loud metallic 'ping' sort of sound, happens a few times normally as im walking away from the car.... would usually put it down to normal cooling sounds but its seems to be pretty loud and pronounced.

is this normal, any other 2.0 tdi owners get this one?

@rickyquickly @cooltempo

both happend to me..

@rickyquickly - the oil is very hot if you check on the DIS it tells you the temp, so yea in this climate you will see some smoke.. as its a pressured (comrpessed) engine i think?!

@cooltempo - that noise your on about i think its just the car cooling down, but after a long run i let the car idle for about two mins before turning it off.. Havnt realy noticed it recently

Yes, turbo needs to cool down a bit after a long journey or spirited driving.