ARB help

darren_wheeler

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a bit of advice on the whole ARB thing. Some people swear by them and say they completely transform the handling and that the difference is huge and others not so much. also anyone that can help me out with their views on either Eibach or H&R which are the 2 im considering would be great. many thanks. Its an S3 sportback on 19's with H&R 25mm springs.

In my opinion they make a big difference to handling. The car corners a lot flatter and allows you to put more power down coming out of the corners.

I'd say the Eibach's for more of a balanced improved factory feel and the H&R's for more oversteer.

Damian @ DPM Performance

My car has KW Coils and H&R ARBs and 2 different people who have been in the car when I've been nailing it round a round about have BOTH said it handles better than a stock S3 4WD, yes it makes a big difference. No roll whatsoever, hence.............anti-roll-bar :laugh:

Also check out VAG group OEM option upgrades. There are OEM options available. There's a 21.7mm rear bar from the Tiguan & Golf R. All OEM bars are hollow so light too. They are also CHEAP.

As i said in my PM the other day Darren, i've only got a rear ARB on atm but it made a huge difference, even with the standard suspension!!!!

Can't wait to stick the huge 28mm H&R on the front :wub:

Also check out VAG group OEM option upgrades. There are OEM options available. There's a 21.7mm rear bar from the Tiguan & Golf R. All OEM bars are hollow so light too. They are also CHEAP.

Where do you find these mate are they on a website anywhere?

They improve the handling no end - on track it is particularly noticeable and I reckon the ARBs alone improved my lap times by about 10%.
One word of warning - on our potholed roads they do make the ride much harsher and more jagged and, if combined with lowering springs, can make the back end a bit twitchy if you're really give it some.
Depends what you want from your car I suppose.

Does anyone know the part numbers or has anyone done an "OEM" upgrade for an A3 using thicker anti roll bars of differnt VAG models?

Does anyone know the part numbers or has anyone done an "OEM" upgrade for an A3 using thicker anti roll bars of differnt VAG models?

The rear AR bar / bushes part no's for the Tiguan 4X4 21.7mm bar are:

1KO 511 409 BF AR Bar £61.14 inc VAT
1KO 511 327 AS Bushes £4.70 inc VAT ( each ) 2 off required.

So £70.54 retail for parts. I believe the Golf R uses this bar, with the same front bar as the S3.

Factor in a bit of discount and i hour labour and it's a bargain.

I'm with Iggu on this. My TDI Sportback has the Eibach Pro springs and dampers plus ARB front and rear. I have the ARB on the "Softer" setting. On a track or a smooth road it is great, cornerning very flat. However, on our potholed uneven roads it can feel very harsh at times, even on motorway runs. I am actually looking to remove the ARBs to see what difference it makes.

Have a good hard think about how you use the car and the condition of the roads you use.

Japper, will that rear Tiguan bar fit a FWD A3 though?

Does anyone know if an S3 front roll bar fits a "normal" FWD A3? (2.0TDI)?

Last edited:
Has anyone put just an uprated Rear bar in an S3?
Will this help with front end grip and turn in or just make the car tail happy?
Also is installing a rear bar a pretty simple DIY proccess?

Japper, will that rear Tiguan bar fit a FWD A3 though?

Does anyone know if an S3 front roll bar fits a "normal" FWD A3? (2.0TDI)?

Not sure, but there is definately a 21.7mm rear bar available for FWD cars as that's used on the Seat Leon FR. I'll try and dig out the part no.

Has anyone put just an uprated Rear bar in an S3?
Will this help with front end grip and turn in or just make the car tail happy?
Also is installing a rear bar a pretty simple DIY proccess?

Yes should add front end bite by shifting the balance forwards. Depends how 'big' you go at rear as to whether it gets too tail happy for your personal taste / driving style.

Hey Darren,

You don't listen do you :whip:

We talked in depth about this a while back, and to sum up, my advise was get some!

They make a huge difference, i've only got the rear ARB on atm and you can really feel the difference that it makes

The rear AR bar / bushes part no's for the Golf R 21.7mm x 3mm hollow bar are:

1KO 511 409 BF AR Bar £61.14 inc VAT
1KO 511 327 AS Bushes £4.70 inc VAT ( each ) 2 off required.

So £70.54 retail for parts. The Golf R uses this bar, with the same front bar as the S3.

Factor in a bit of discount and i hour labour and it's a bargain.

The Tiguan uses same diameter bar but different part no. 3cO 511 409 D, maybe has longer support arms because of increased ride height.

The Seat Leon FR ( fwd ) has same bar dimensions ( 21.7mm x 3mm ) with part no. 1KO 511 409 BR and uses same rubber bushes as part no. above.

This bar calculates out at an increase of 22 - 23% stiffer over the std. 20.7mm x 2.8mm S3 RARB, so not massive and not going to have a twitchy rear end but will be a great compromise.

Hope to get this fitted soon