FSI vs TSI question

Gryphon001

Reaction score
I was just wondering about whether anyone has had the chance to directly compare the difference between the two in terms of engine and transmission... I just had the chance to take a drive in a friends A3 which is also '08 but has the TSI engine as opposed to my FSI. I found that his car was by far smoother than mine. Mine the engine is louder and rougher sounding almost like a diesel sometimes.

Even when shifting, I have the Forge short throw shifter and 42draft design aluminum bushings on mine vs his stock shifter. I found that his shifts and clutch are almost buttery smooth. My clutch is jerky and harsh by comparison. Not sure if that could be an issue with my car somewhere or whether the updated engine is just that much different.

Any input would be welcome.

The FSI has a similar sound to a diesel on idle though a quieter. You say yours is also a 08 plate, what size of engine have you?

The only engines available in North America are the 3.2L and the 2.0T gas/petrol... the TDI only got released in the A3 this year. I have the 2.0T engine and what I find is that it's the transmission/clutch that is the roughest. It just feels downright harsh, almost like a bit of a really fast stutter when engaging. It's not severe, but noticeable enough. The car is a daily driver and has only been track driven once on a low speed track. Not sure if all the cars feel the same or not.

I was just wondering about whether anyone has had the chance to directly compare the difference between the two in terms of engine and transmission... I just had the chance to take a drive in a friends A3 which is also '08 but has the TSI engine as opposed to my FSI. I found that his car was by far smoother than mine. Mine the engine is louder and rougher sounding almost like a diesel sometimes.

Even when shifting, I have the Forge short throw shifter and 42draft design aluminum bushings on mine vs his stock shifter. I found that his shifts and clutch are almost buttery smooth. My clutch is jerky and harsh by comparison. Not sure if that could be an issue with my car somewhere or whether the updated engine is just that much different.

Any input would be welcome.

This came out some time ago in response to a similar question - there ARE big differences in the TSI-FSI comparison.
This is some good info for US-spec engines; some of it may also apply to the UK. Courtesy APR:

Engine Code: CCTA OR CBFA

Type of Engine: Inline 4-Cylinder TSI Engine
Displacement: 121 cu in (1984 cm3)
Maximum Power: 200 hp (147 kW) at 5100 - 6000 rpm
Maximum Torque: 206 lb ft (280 Nm) at 1700 - 5000 rpm
Number of Valves Per Cylinder: 4
Bore: 3.2 in (82.5 mm)
Stroke: 3.7 in (92.8 mm)
Compression Ratio: 9.6 : 1
Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
Engine Weight: 317 lb (144 kg)
Engine Management: Bosch MED 17.5
Fuel Grade: 95/91 RON

USA - Exhaust Emission Standard: ULEV (CCTA) - SULEV (CBFA)

Some major differences from the FSI to TSI include: - chain driven belt
- fuel/engine management
- components in the intake system
- oil filter and oil dipstick relocated
- improved PCV system (proved to be problematic in the FSI)
- compression ratio lowered to 9.6:1
- more balanced cam shafts in the center of the block on both sides
- down pipe
- fuel efficiency (debatable)
- better emissions
- more 02 sensors on exhaust system

Is it true that the fuel system is driven from the inlet cams on the TFSi, and from the exhaust cams on the TSi?