How Does S3 Feel Compared to a R32 ?

Yaks

Reaction score
Hi guys, just signed up today, liking the forum a lot :icon_thumright:

I've currently got a 2008 Golf R32 DSG - Milltek, Sports Haldex, GIAC re-map.

Getting itchy feet, and tempted by the S3, was wondering how the driving experience would be, going from a 3.2 V6 to a 2.0 turbo ? Will the power delivery feel a lot different ? Is there much turbo lag ? What like is low down torque ? etc, etc. Not really bothered about feedback onmpg comparison, already read the mpg thread and sounds like it will be slightly better.

Anyone else come the same route ? Did a forum search on R32 and surprisingly it didn't find any matches.

The V6 is just not tunable unless you spend mega-bucks on a s/c or turbo, whereas liking the idea of a stage 1 re-map adding 40ish bhp for just a few hundred.

Thanks in anticipation

From road tests i've seen and my general insight, the S3 will feel more lively and less nose heavy, (which it is obv) and keener to turn in. The engine will laggy in power delivery initially compared to your VR6, but it will pull more strongly at the top end where the R32 is a bit weak. One thing you will miss and never get back is the beautiful engine noise of the staggered 6 motor.
For outright performance thoug the s3 is miles ahead, and it has a nicer interior.

i should be ideally placed for you on this one as i have both an R32 and an S3, both with DSG. First off the power delivery on the 2 cars is totally different, the R32 so linear and smooth, and in this concern it is a no brainer for the S3, it feels dramatically quicker. add into that the prospect of a map to both the DSG and Engine and bingo your over 300bhp and into a different territory all together. the DSG box on my S3 (59 plate) is also so much quicker with its gear change, that when you get back in the R32 it feels like a sluggish auto.( no disrespect ) the R32 has a better launch control and is quicker off the mark i guess down to the torque of the V6 though. the S3 soon reels it in though and is so much quicker between the gears. Handling wise, on the slow twisty stuff the R32 definitely had better front end bite and its turn in was far more crisp than the S3. no big issue though, if you go down the suspension route and add ARBs you have an S3 with north of 300bhp and the set up to cope with it. Basically the S3 is the one i pick of the 2, but there is no getting away from that V6 note especially with Milltek that you have. You will just have to live with the 4 pot note, but it does sound great in its own right. in terms of turbo lag, its no issue at all, you hardl even notice it if at all. the low end torque isnt going to be the same, but the S3 is so much more fu when it all gets going. Interior quality is another big plus for the S3. Hope this helps, its all just my opinion, i loved both cars to bits, just a shame some little twats knicked them both off the drive one night.

Thanks for the feedback akash and Darren, great detail in there Darren and gutted to hear you had both cars stolen :crying:

I think I would miss the sound most, had a 350Z ( with Nismo exhasut ) before the R32, and that sounded even better :drool:

I guess I need to go and get a test drive........the only slight concern is the thread I read speculating a new model late this year or early next

Yaks,

I just ordered my S3 - the dealer stated that although the new A3 might be out this year but most likely next, the new S3 wont be out for some time after that (2012/2013).

Just to echo the guys above, my friend's R32 DSG Stage 1 Revo is a real nice drive! I actually found it to feel easier to drive in normal conditions but once you go into the high revs the Stock S3 Manual just feels more alive (and that's questionable).

I'd love to have both to be honest as darren did..... I'm sorry to hear of your loses dude :faint:

had a 350Z ( with Nismo exhasut ) before the R32, and that sounded even better :drool:

...same here - I had the Nismo exhaust, Nismo Decats, Nismo clutch and a lightweight flywheel plus a plenum spacer - a part of me died when I sold that beast on but for a more practical and fun drive im happy with my S3:icon_thumright:

Having had the MK1 R32 l can comment only on that. l thought that car was just the dogs. Power , handling etc. Had to get rid of it after a few years. Out comes the MK2 R32, we had a golf at the time and l was looking to get something with a bit of poke again. l didnt quite like the styling on the MK2. In Perth the VW and Audi garage is side by side. We went up and l had a look at the S3 and got a test drive, big smile from the wife, one mark for the 3. We went next door and l sat in the R32. Nope, just another golf, two marks for the 3. Comparing what you got for your money and options that are needed to bring the R32 up to basic S3 specs was the third mark for the 3. Its a pity , the R32 just doesnt have the road presence that the Mk1 R32 did.

I've owned an a3 3.2 with a milltek non res and found the S3 out of the box to feel reasonably quicker but not a difference in performance to set your pants on fire, with a bit of relatively inexpensive tuning you could turn the S3 into quite a beast and something that would definetly leave the R32 for dead however.

You WILL miss the noise of your R32 im sorry but thats a fact, I miss the noise of my 3.2 really badly but I suppose you have got to weigh up all of the other benefits the S3 has such as the fact its much lighter up front and this makes the car feel a lot more balanced in my opinion,it also feels much more able to change direction quickly than the 3.2 ever did.

With a bit of relatively inexpensive tuning compared to the R32 you could turn the S3 into a bit of a beast and I'm sure the noise of a milltek turbo back non res (w/decat if you're that way inclined :) ) would sound fantastic allbeit in a completely different way to the R32.

You could get a full revo stage2+ on the S3 circa 360bhp including all of the hardware- exhaust,induction,intercooler,uprated diverter valve,fuel pump and the software for about the same money as would have to spend on the R32 to get the schrick cams,air filter,exhaust etc to get about 30bhp-for me that was the bottom line

I like to play tunes on my exhaust :) i just love the howl in S mode :) i have 250bhp and its not very often i have needed more on the public roads. and if i had it...would it give me any more fun ?? i doubt it to be honest. 3.2 V6 is something a little special !...In a few years time people will look back fondly on this sort of engine because they will be as extinct as dinosaurs so make the most of them now.

Yaks,

I just ordered my S3 - the dealer stated that although the new A3 might be out this year but most likely next, the new S3 wont be out for some time after that (2012/2013).

I think there is another facelift coming out in 2011 before a new A3 platform comes out:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_5801.shtml

And the facelift facelift 2011 S3 may have the new TTS grill (and proper LED smoked rear clusters as Ive read somewhere):

03_tt_facelift.jpg

Looks like he is off to see his boy friends and get his hair done...

I like to play tunes on my exhaust :) i just love the howl in S mode :) i have 250bhp and its not very often i have needed more on the public roads. and if i had it...would it give me any more fun ?? i doubt it to be honest. 3.2 V6 is something a little special !...In a few years time people will look back fondly on this sort of engine because they will be as extinct as dinosaurs so make the most of them now.

250bhp? Enough?

Your `avin a larf?
Its not the 80s now you know!!:)

250bhp? Enough?

Your `avin a larf?
Its not the 80s now you know!!:)

Wish it was mate..no speed camera's no road humps and no traffic calming and Police that gave you a warning..without targets to meet :)
In 1978 i fell of my Suzuki 500 while making way home from the pub very eh um wobbly...Local bobby picked me up and gave me a lift home and told me to stick to Shandys in future...Yup ! bring back the 70-80s

errrm dunnoooo
I kinda like the TTS..as much as the standard one is a hairdresser's car-I think in S form and (even more in the RS form) is a little demon.

Anyone that buys them in cab form needs shooting though.

Oh..and i have to say..bhp does'nt = fun !..it helps but i guarantee you would have more fun in an souped up old Mini, ringing its neck round the lanes at 60-70mph than you ever will in a S3 or a 3.2 at 60-70mph simply because a Mini is on the ragged edge at 70mph..
If you put a red light on your dash that lights up evey time you hit more than 250-260 bhp i bet it wouldnt be on very often and if it was..not for long :)

Oh..and i have to say..bhp does'nt = fun !..it helps but i guarantee you would have more fun in an souped up old Mini, ringing its neck round the lanes at 60-70mph than you ever will in a S3 or a 3.2 at 60-70mph simply because a Mini is on the ragged edge at 70mph..
If you put a red light on your dash that lights up evey time you hit more than 250-260 bhp i bet it wouldnt be on very often and if it was..not for long :)

now we are comparing an old mini to an S3/R32 lol!!
:lmfao:

Dont know what your laughing at in your old oil burner :) 250bhp must be like something from Dr Who to you :hubbahubba:

:lmfao:

Last edited:
Dave, i'm not comparing an old mini with an S3...just pointing out that bhp is not the end all and be all if you want fun. :) Some of the best fun i ever had on a bike was not at 150mph..it was stationery on a trials bike...You get my point :)

You need to get that old pill running on 6 pots first before you will see the 250bhp light come on......:moa:

Booked in for Tomorrow for its ECU flash Paul :)

Dave, i'm not comparing an old mini with an S3...just pointing out that bhp is not the end all and be all if you want fun. :) Some of the best fun i ever had on a bike was not at 150mph..it was stationery on a trials bike...You get my point :)

Sounds like one of your chat up lines Paddy....

"A` may not be built for speed love but that doesnt mean Im not fun.....fast isnt always better you know" :laugh:

lol when i said the best fun I ever had on a bike...I meant a motorbike....Not the village one :)

Just pulling your leg Nat...torque is better than BHP to be honest :)

Yeh I know you are, but obviously you don't know what experience I have of fast cars etc. Some people on here think a mapped TDI is an F1 car lmao. But trust me, a Stage II + S3 is a very capable car.

I had an A3 3.2 not so long ago,and the S3 even in stock form is clearly faster.

Modified,the S3 is miles ahead,but obviously doesnt have the 3.2's relaxed delivery and sound.....other than that,it's a much quicker car.

Some people on here think a mapped TDI is an F1 car lmao.

I seem to meet one of those diesels every time I venture out on the road. More diesels (particularly A4 S-Lines) frisk my back bumper than any other type of car. I'm just plain bored of them now, so let them pass to protect their egos and keep them out of counseling :happy:

I seem to meet one of those diesels every time I venture out on the road. More diesels (particularly A4 S-Lines) frisk my back bumper than any other type of car. I'm just plain bored of them now, so let them pass to protect their egos and keep them out of counseling :happy:

Ha Ha, thought it was just me!

I seem to `tow` Golf diesels around everywhere I go.

Ok Ok, dervs are nippy these days, stop trying to prove it, I DONT CARE, so **** off!

cheers
Paul

Don't worry, I'm not one of those drivers! But when I come up behind people, they speed off into the distant cuz they think I'm an S3 :laugh: Like you say Warren, let them carry on! :lazy:

What is it with that? Only yesterday at a set of dual carriageway lights I had a 58 3.0L TDI, seriously revving his engine whilst looking at me - had a girlie next to him too looking smug. I had my window down (lovely day wasn't it) and just looked at him as if to say, "Pah-Leeeze". The Mrs said, "go on, take him." I said, "Naa, I don't need to, let him waste fuel." But you know what girl passengers are like, ours and theirs, they like have their own little war going on lol. So the guy kept on revving and opened his passenger window about an inch (****) ... ... ...! So I said, "On Amber."

What happened?

I let him go first (for the embarrassment factor) ... then I stamped my foot. I have an MTM remap and I have the badge too. Guess he thought it was a cosmetic stick-on?

Oh, and the Mrs gave 'her' the finger as we went lol. Love em

the problem is with 3ltr diesels putting out huge gobs of torque off the line your never going to beat it and make it look impressive. the diesel guy wins because he's thinking..."****** hell, he had to thrash that" while he is doing it at about 20 rpm ;)

I came up against a diesel TT the other day and he wanted to play. Obviously i beat him but not by enough to make it impressive because lets face it....he has nothing to prove.

the problem is with 3ltr diesels putting out huge gobs of torque off the line your never going to beat it and make it look impressive. the diesel guy wins because he's thinking..."****** hell, he had to thrash that" while he is doing it at about 20 rpm ;)

I came up against a diesel TT the other day and he wanted to play. Obviously i beat him but not by enough to make it impressive because lets face it....he has nothing to prove.

The 30Tdi is a great engine, mate of mine has it in an A5.

And thats where it belongs, (assuming you do the miles that is.)
If you have a big saloon or Coupe and want punchy peformance without breaking the bank, then its ideal.

Hatch backs and the like suit the revvy characteristics inherent of a petrol engine IMO.
(taking performance cars here BTW)

Personally "thrashing` a petrol engine is a much more desirable prospect than shifting up and down a derv box anyday.

Cheers
Paul

Yea agree Paul but Maestro is saying he came up against a big old 3ltr diesel Audi saloon car/Taxi and beat it with his stage whatever tuned S3....Well i should ****** hope so :lmfao: Horses for courses mate :)